Spyder Garage

Default Test ride reflection: STS SM5 rider on an '18 RTL SE6

Some context:

I bought my first Spyder used last spring, a 2015 ST-S with a twin/5 speed manual w/hand clutch. I had never ridden a Spyder before purchasing mine. I have ridden sleds for 20 years, and two-wheel motorcycles for 10 years. Today was the first time on a SE-equipped Spyder, first time with the 1330 triple. I have been riding previous gen Gold Wings since 2015 - currently have a '16 Wing.

Below are just my thoughts on a 12 minute test ride, a first impression at best. This is not a review.

Cockpit - much larger and more space than my ST-S. The instrument cluster is much wider, and so is the fairing/cowl. The seating position with the floorboards is excellent - plenty of room for my legs and feet. This is a 2018, so it had the updated audio system with BRP Connect. The joystick is kind of a pain to use, but it connected to my phone seamlessly and I was able to control my downloaded songs without a problem. Did not try any streaming.

Semi-auto - quite an adjustment for me, much more than expected. Last year, it took me 100 feet to get used to how my Spyder handled and felt, prolly due to years of snowmobiling. Going to the semi-auto from the manual messed with a routine of clutch/shifting that I did not even realize was part of my riding experience. I had to remind myself to thumb the button to shift, and reached out for the clutch on multiple occasions. I imagine that I would get used to it, but it caught me by surprise that I had to think about shifting when I do not believe I am thinking about shifting on my 5 speed bikes.

Engine - This is my first experience with the triple. I do not think it could not be more different than my 998 twin. Power comes on steadily, quietly and smoothly. I guess I expected it to be similar to my 900 ACE-powered triple in my Doo, which makes the sound of a four-stroke triple and pulls pretty hard. It is not. Frankly, I came away disappointed. I felt very disengaged from the power delivery. Speed builds quickly but I did not feel it the way on do on my ST-S. I kept twisting the throttle looking for some personality, and I never found it. That being said - when cruising at 60 mph down a state highway - a very pleasant experience.

Handling - Kinda disappointed in this area too. The power steering is boosted significantly more than it is on mine. That makes it easy, but, like the engine, disengages the rider from the riding experience. There is a lot more body lean in turns than mine as well. On my ST-S, it makes me want to go faster in the curves, and try to kiss the mirrors. It is very nimble and does not feel like the 800 lbs that it weighs. The RT made me feel like I should slow down.

Ride - soft and absorbent and cloud like. The RT rides better than my Gold Wing. Where it comes up short in handling, it makes up for in ride quality. This would be a great machine to take on a trip.

Overall early impression - I expected to fall in love with the RT and even had the dealer write up a trade-in proposal for the Wing while I was out riding. I didn't fall in love with it. It is a pleasant, comfortable machine that did not leave much an impression with me. For now, I will stick with the Wing and the ST-S. I am not a former or current sport bike rider; I don't like performance mods or anything like that. I like quiet machines! However, I guess I do have a threshold for being engaged by these machines in a way I did not realize.
    Current Rides:
    2015 Spyder ST-S SM5
    2016 Honda Gold Wing ABS/Navi
    2022 Royal Enfield Classic 350
    2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Spyder Garage

Couldn't have said it better!! After learning to sorta work the V-twin well, then jumping on a 1330 powered & heavier model, when it comes to the engine & handling, it's a 'Nice' bike, just underwhelming & not really all that exciting.....

An ECU Upgrade WILL release some or even a lot of the untapped potential of the motor, but I still haven't found any 1330 powered model that really inspires me to want to 'upgrade' & give up my 'slightly enhanced' 2013 RT with it's bee-eautiful V-twin motor!! Maybe one day?!?
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Couldn't have said it better!! After learning to sorta work the V-twin well, then jumping on a 1330 powered & heavier model, when it comes to the engine & handling, it's a 'Nice' bike, just underwhelming & not really all that exciting.....

An ECU Upgrade WILL release some or even a lot of the untapped potential of the motor, but I still haven't found any 1330 powered model that really inspires me to want to 'upgrade' & give up my 'slightly enhanced' 2013 RT with it's bee-eautiful V-twin motor!! Maybe one day?!?
    I figured I might hear from you, Peter, first ... it is 9:15pm on Saturday here, and you are already through a few cups of Sunday morning coffee at this point! If I had to make a decision today, I would try to find a 2013 RT with the twin and SM5 transmission. Subject to change - as always!
    Current Rides:
    2015 Spyder ST-S SM5
    2016 Honda Gold Wing ABS/Navi
    2022 Royal Enfield Classic 350
    2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    I figured I might hear from you, Peter, first ... it is 9:15pm on Saturday here, and you are already through a few cups of Sunday morning coffee at this point! If I had to make a decision today, I would try to find a 2013 RT with the twin and SM5 transmission. Subject to change - as always!
    I would follow Peter's advice .... I rode 5 & 6 speed manual shift bikes for over 50 years .... My SE experience was an eye-opener, Now that I've mastered it I would sell a Spyder with a Manual if it was given to me..... Why do you think the C-8 corvettes can't even be bought with a manual ??? do you think GM can't make one strong enough .... and If you really think it' is under powered spend the #350.00 and get the ECU re-written ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I agree with Peter. I prefer the 998 over the triple. it costs more to run and upkeep, but I still like it.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by safecracker View Post
    I agree with Peter. I prefer the 998 over the triple. it costs more to run and upkeep, but I still like it.
    That's exactly how I've felt regarding a number of cars and motorcycles over the years. I understand and accept it for what it is, and I like it. That's all that's necessary in my humble opinion.
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)