Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default taking baffles out of stock exhaust of RT

ive been thinking about getting a RT and was wondering if anyone was able take baffles out of stock exhaust???
    i am just looking to get little louder sound out of it. i don't like the look of akrapovic on RT(kills the look of all black lower panels) and can't take unfiltered emission with a cat delete.
    thank you in advance.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

I think a better option is o get the RLS Exhaust cat delete with the resonator. It gives out a smoother, throatier sound with just a wee bit more noise. I have that with the stock exhaust and can listen to that nice sound all day -- and I have. Give Ricky a call, he'll back me up on that because he builds what he sells.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by aka1004 View Post
    ive been thinking about getting a RT and was wondering if anyone was able take baffles out of stock exhaust???
    i am just looking to get little louder sound out of it. i don't like the look of akrapovic on RT(kills the look of all black lower panels) and can't take unfiltered emission with a cat delete.
    thank you in advance.
    If you do some searching, you can find posts where folks have gutted stock mufflers for increased exhaust sound. Myself, pretty sure I posted them here also, but I cut open a RT muffler and posted photos. The muffler is a chambered muffler, no flow through baffles. Chambered, being like a Flowmaster.

Possibly the reply that stated getting the RLS bypass pipe with resonator misunderstood your desire to not omit the oxide reduction screens.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you. I guess it’s all black twobros then.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

Being too lazy to begin a new thread, I will interfere into this one, since it's about exhaust.
    You know that connection from the cat (or cat delete) to the muffler pipe, the one that looks like a hip socket? Well, the original clamp was doing a lousy job of holding them together and something better needed to happen. Here's my fix - a pair of Nickson 17169 split flanges. I looked then up on Amazon to print out a photo of one to take to my auto supply as I needed them that day.. Amazon wanted $18 apiece. $4.95 each at my store. Note to self: Amazon got us hooked and is now out to screw us.
    Here's my solution; now let's see that joint try to come apart.

IMG_20210821_155556080.jpg

IMG_20210821_155528461.jpg
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2Bros is a straight pipe wrapped tightly with matting material. Just about any DIY'r can make one of those. The RT muffler has three chambers the exhaust has to pass through before it leaves the muffler. However, the chambers appear to be separated with perforated separators allowing gases to mingle and linger before leaving the system. Not totally sure but it may be a resonator system. But it's sure is a heavy son of a gun. The OEM cat and muffler combined must weigh as much as a full tank of fuel. PMK has great photos of his OEM muffler cutaways. It would be interesting to modify the OEM muffler and experiment with different exhaust notes and tones. But opening up the muffler and closing it back up just to experiment would be a big hassle. Maybe PMK will repost his cutaway photos if you ask him nicely.