Spyder Garage

Default Fog Lights, my dumb question for today... 2009 SM5 Spyder

I bought this bike about a year ago, the fog lights have never turned on, didn't worry about it ...

Then I had to replace my fuel filter, so I took a few panels off and looked around while I was replacing the filter..

Bulbs are good, fuse is good, but no power ?.. I used my meter and no power from that area under the fuse..

Is there a switch I am missing that turns them on and off..

I know, dumb question, i am not sure how these work, if they come on with the headlights, or I need to enable them..

Any place I can check, i looked under the seat, didnt find anything..

Thanks !

Spyder Garage

I don't know if mine is the same as yours but mine has a toggle switch on the right side of the dash under the handle bars.
    IMG_0850.jpgIMG_0851.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i tied my toggle switch to other wiring(previous owner of your spyder might have done the same) as i didn't see a need to ever turn fog lights off so you might wanna look around while you have the panels off. switch gotta be in there somewhere. connectors are on left side.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

so there should be a switch somewhere ?... I can look more closely-- Thanks

Spyder Garage

Also only will come on with engine running.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

since connectors are on left, most likely it would be on left side if switch was tied somewhere.
    i tied mine behind the panel you would take off to check oil just in case i do need to turn it off for testing.

Quote Originally Posted by laser1972 View Post
    so there should be a switch somewhere ?... I can look more closely-- Thanks
    6 states down 42 states to go

Spyder Garage

Default RS Fog light installation instructions

The fog lights are wired thru a push button switch on the RS.
    See parts P8 & P9. I built a DIY fog light system for my bike. As I recall, at least on my STS, there is a foglight connector near the shock absorber that can be wired to slave the fog lights to the high or low beams.
    I didn't use the P12 relay.
    Good Luck.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    The fog lights are wired thru a push button switch on the RS.
    See parts P8 & P9. I built a DIY fog light system for my bike. As I recall, at least on my STS, there is a foglight connector near the shock absorber that can be wired to slave the fog lights to the high or low beams.
    I didn't use the P12 relay.
    Good Luck.
    So after having my brother trace the bad headlights to the fuse in the back panel... I asked him to look into the fog lights, never worked since I have owned the spyder

He said there was power on the plugs to the fog lights, but he is thinking the switch is bad?.. I can get one for around $60

Any other suggestions?.. Looking at your diagram, is there a wire that is attached directly to a relay.. Should i check that to see if its working?

Spyder Garage

He said there was power on the plugs to the fog lights, but he is thinking the switch is bad?.. I can get one for around $60

Sorry I can't help with the rest of the info you're after, but if that switch for $60 is a BRP switch, there are virtually identical switches available a/mkt for about 1/3rd of that price. Some require a small modification to the hole the switch goes into; others a small mod to the body of the switch itself in order to ensure it fits neatly & seamlessly into the hole; but there are identical switches out there too.... altho I don't currently have ready access to a part number or supplier for you, as I got mine a few years ago now. But they are there, & last time I looked, they still only cost about $20 - in my case, it was more expensive to get them sent to Oz than it was to buy the switches themselves!

Over to you, & here's hoping your fix is as simple as replacing the switch!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Sorry I can't help with the rest of the info you're after, but if that switch for $60 is a BRP switch, there are virtually identical switches available a/mkt for about 1/3rd of that price. Some require a small modification to the hole the switch goes into; others a small mod to the body of the switch itself in order to ensure it fits neatly & seamlessly into the hole; but there are identical switches out there too.... altho I don't currently have ready access to a part number or supplier for you, as I got mine a few years ago now. But they are there, & last time I looked, they still only cost about $20 - in my case, it was more expensive to get them sent to Oz than it was to buy the switches themselves!

Over to you, & here's hoping your fix is as simple as replacing the switch!
    Thank you so kindly, can you send me a link or part number when you have some extra time, I have no idea what to look for and yes I dont need factory, $20 sounds much better than $60

Just like when I had my key replaced,a place did it for $65 and the key already had a hole! -- The dealership wanted over $100

Spyder Garage

Thank you so kindly, can you send me a link or part number when you have some extra time, I have no idea what to look for and yes I dont need factory, $20 sounds much better than $60

Just like when I had my key replaced,a place did it for $65 and the key already had a hole! -- The dealership wanted over $100
    Sorry, but I can't really help with a link or part number, I just searched thru switch catalogues for rectangular switches & (I think?) Carling switches until I found one that suited - but not more'n a month or two later, someone posted a link & pics, maybe even supplier & part number details for those switches here on the Forum, so the info you want IS here somewhere, altho it might take a little searching to find it. If you can't find it thru the (admittedly not the greatest ) search feature here, not even by searching on thread titles only & then looking for titles that might help, then you could always try using goggle or bing, duckduckgo, etc, but add site:spyderlovers.com to your search string - that'll restrict the search to just this site & their keyword searches are much more comprehensive & specific than those here.

Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Laser please check with your dmv. Every state is different. In fact some states don’t even have inspections but in PA fog lights are required to have a switch. They can be run anytime on a motorcycle including when high beams are on but are required to have a switch. On a car in PA, all fog lights, including accessory fog lights, must turn off when high beams are turned on. Just check. It might not apply to you, but just wanted to throw that out there.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    Laser please check with your dmv. Every state is different. In fact some states don’t even have inspections but in PA fog lights are required to have a switch. They can be run anytime on a motorcycle including when high beams are on but are required to have a switch. On a car in PA, all fog lights, including accessory fog lights, must turn off when high beams are turned on. Just check. It might not apply to you, but just wanted to throw that out there.
    They are not required to pass inspection, i just had that done, just want them working in case I need them or if i sell the bike, I would like everything working..

Ill try and research the switch... Could it be possible that the relay is bad?.. the one that dangles off one of the fog light wires (its on the diagram) == I know its not the fuse

Like i said, power is going to the fog lights from the connector, just not the switch

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

They are not required to pass inspection, i just had that done, just want them working in case I need them or if i sell the bike, I would like everything working..

Ill try and research the switch... Could it be possible that the relay is bad?.. the one that dangles off one of the fog light wires (its on the diagram) == I know its not the fuse

Like i said, power is going to the fog lights from the connector, just not the switch
    Look on BANGGOOD.COM ..... they have or had switches that were identical to BRP's .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Fog Light Switch

Here is the switch I used on my DIY fog lights.
    $7.99 at Amazon.
    http://https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T7DVYVU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Look on BANGGOOD.COM ..... they have or had switches that were identical to BRP's .... Mike
    i looked toggle switches, didnt see anything similar to what i have (the push button)