Spyder Garage

Default BRP Trailer Hitch - Plastic Shims

I have been following this thread about the OEM plastic wear shims on the trailer hitch since I've gotten a few calls recently about a replacement kit.
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-is-this-right

As far as I know, there is no 'Replacement Kit' for these. Strange being that they are a wear part. I know that some have found other DIY methods of taking care of this. But I am wondering if there is much interest in a Plug & Play set. I am hoping to get material that will allow me to offer a lifetime warranty on them. I am working on this now.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Spoke with both BRP and local dealer and no luck with this endeavor on shims....thank you Ron!
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by davev1pa View Post
    Spoke with both BRP and local dealer and no luck with this endeavor on shims....thank you Ron!
    My Can-Am dealer is saying the same thing. Very odd. But it may indicate that there just isn't much call for this item. Still, I am going to make a few sets and see if I can get some Test Pilots to run then and see where it goes.

Thanks for the input!

Spyder Garage

FWIW, those are not actually a wear item per say. Functionally they protect the painted surfaces from scratching. There is no movement to create true wear. If they are missing, the bond adhesive failed and the pads simply fell off.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    FWIW, those are not actually a wear item per say. Functionally they protect the painted surfaces from scratching. There is no movement to create true wear. If they are missing, the bond adhesive failed and the pads simply fell off.
    I was thinking the same thing. But my dealer was really no help. People call them a 'Wear Item', and the set I have looks like it's been rubbing. But I don't really see how they would wear out. I suppose they come out while traveling? Still, I'm not sure why you can't purchase a set from BRP. But it appears that your only choices right now are to purchase the entire hitch, or make them yourself. Not sure it's a product that many would want. But it won't take all that much for me to get a few made.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think it also helps slide the hitch arm on the mount.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    I think it also helps slide the hitch arm on the mount.
    Well, you certainly do not want steel on steel. This is probably the main purpose.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Well, you certainly do not want steel on steel. This is probably the main purpose.
    If it was designed diffently you wouldn't need them at all.

Spyder Garage

Htpe 3/16”. Cut rectangles. Works perfect. I get mine from welsh plastics in Las Vegas. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Took a few minutes to do a preliminary drawing in AutoCad of these shim pads. Dimension were based off pencil rubs from a member here. Should be very close, but have not yet verified them as 100% accurate to those installed on our hitch.

Material thickness measured as 1/16" by the provider of the pencil rubs, but should be verified also.

Very simple part to produce by hand or on automated equipment. Automated would be maybe 1 minute to cut all 6 shims from the very inexpensive sheet thermoplastic material.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Measured shim with calipers it is .068 inch or 1/16th or 1.73 mm likely made as 2mm as these were measured with used shims ..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I have been following this thread about the OEM plastic wear shims on the trailer hitch since I've gotten a few calls recently about a replacement kit.
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-is-this-right

As far as I know, there is no 'Replacement Kit' for these. Strange being that they are a wear part. I know that some have found other DIY methods of taking care of this. But I am wondering if there is much interest in a Plug & Play set. I am hoping to get material that will allow me to offer a lifetime warranty on them. I am working on this now.

Look for "Hitch Slides" and the BRP part numbers are:

Upper RH 705202352
    Lower RH 705203216

Upper LH 705202351
    Lower LH 705202350
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Hi C-man!! I tried to search those part #s you've posted to no avail....but I'll call BRP and the dealer tomorrow with those #s and see whats shaking...Thanks for the info!! Dave

Spyder Garage

I called the dealer and checked with BRP instructions and unfortunately these are not active part #s

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by davev1pa View Post
    I called the dealer and checked with BRP instructions and unfortunately these are not active part #s
    Try here:

http://www.adeptpowersports.com/

Look for "Hitch Slides" and the BRP part numbers are:

Upper RH 705202352
    Lower RH 705203216

Upper LH 705202351
    Lower LH 705202350

http://www.adeptpowersports.com/oem-...2351-part.html
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Went to Adeptpowersports and yes those part #'s are showing but to the right it reveals that they no longer support or stock can am items. When using those part #s my BRP dealer states he cannot cross reference "unusable" previous #s....OMG so ridiculous....thank you for ur diligence!! Also when i go to https://instructions.brp.com/e-instruction.html#tab=1 i cannot enter those part #s with any success

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I found out awhile back when trying to locate a harness for the heated seat. I could find the part number but BRP does not sell it.

Sounds like the same for your hitch shims.

Locate some UHWM plastic stock and cut what you need.