Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RTS do I need to remove rear rotor to have tire mounted?

Got my rear wheel off...2014 RTS with 2 piece rim....do I need to remove brake rotor off to have the tire installed/mounted before I take it to the auto center tomorrow... drive sprocket is off. Thanks Dave
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

You don't necessarily NEED to remove the brake rotor, a properly skilled & competent tech will be able to do the tire strip/refit & wheel balance with it in situ - but some places will prefer you to remove it just in cases; while at other places, you'll probably prefer to remove it just in cases....
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

No, not required. Actually, if you do plan to remove the disc, apply heat to each bolt head from a propane torch. Not a lot, but enough to heat and free the thread locking compounds bond.

I have changed many rear tires, I remove the drive pulley and cushions. Never removed the disc.

Spyder Garage

As was already stated, no. Any competent tire changer can work around the disc.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

I have also noticed this part is worn
    O-Ring
    Is there a suitable replacement at an auto store that any one may have a part # for?

Spyder Garage

Double check the 3 sets of bearings

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by davev1pa View Post
    I have also noticed this part is worn
    O-Ring
    Is there a suitable replacement at an auto store that any one may have a part # for?
    i went to a race / driveshaft / specialty / shop and they matched it up
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

I didn't pull the bearings but I spun them and lubed the axle shaft...and spacers....the O ring I attempted to replace with a too phat one from car parts store....didn't quite work so I ordered some from dealer like $4 (have 2 RTs) . The adjustments in the swingarm I removed and cleaned and lubricated.The rear tire process was not too bad this first go around did have my daughter drive the axle in lol that was a trip...and the tire guy didn't charge me a mounting fee as he stocks the general altimax rt43 rear tire for $10 bucks more than the internet so I'll buy his and put one one the other RT... he said it's only slightly challenging with the brake rotor on but he'd appreciate me taking it off next time--no biggie. He also said he can't balance it but from what Mike and Peter state it's no problem . I plan on running 18lbs to 20 lbs in the rear....if there's an issue I'm missing here lemme know .Thanks all!

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you've got the tire change figured out Dave. Like you, I usually take the opportunity to to clean the adjuster blocks in the swingarm, and I use a little red wheel bearing grease on the spacers, and axle after cleaning, and also scrape out any dirt from recesses and clean and lightly lube the oring on the sprocket so it'll slide into the wheel hopefully without cutting it.

I usually remove the disk rotor from the wheel, just so it doesnt get "tweaked" by the installer. On your Limited, just check the air ride height linkage to make sure its back like it was and my big challenge is usually fitting the caliper and pads back over the rotor as I try to get everything lined back up to slide the axle back in place. But the satisfaction of getting everything back clean and right with a new RT43 tire is worth it. Thanks for the followup note on your tire change!!
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Spyder Garage

Hint on keeping pads in place while the wheel is off - wooden shims from the home improvement store. I've also used corrugated cardboard doubled-over and smashed a bit in the vice to fit.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

You know the pads were no issue on the 14 RTS ( i did turn in the piston)but that *&^%$ front caliper pin was kinda of annoying even with the caliper removed ....driving it through both pads was no issue but getting it started on the far side of the caliper drove me nuts for 20 minutes....I was a bit tired and likely not thinking well. Lol on completion and testing ..the whole dashboard idiot lights were lit like a Christmas tree for a minute or two but settled down once I operated everything and seated the brakes and ran the engine...I don't have Buds so the warning lights after servicing always spook me but it always returns to homeostasis..thanks all! PS that General tire looks suhweeeet.

Spyder Garage

AE4E4FCE-7CD9-4693-86A6-24A009B80251.jpg OMG i give up on photos!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images