Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I hope either you had on clean skivvies or you put sometjing over them before you headed to get the steak and on to the beach
    I like your style both the writing and the pictures. Looking forward to day five.
    Thanks, Paul. I did remember at the last moment that I was in Sarasota, not South Miami Beach, so I girded my loins.

Spyder Garage

Default Day Five - Looking for my Keys in Florida

My 40-some mile trek down the beaches of Sarasota looking for parking the day before had dampened my bathing spirits. Time to pivot again. PLUS, the best Mexican restaurant had closed early the night before, forcing the consumption of steak with plastic-ware on the beach to my chagrin. How to save the day?

Oh, and adding insult to injury, was my new found passion for collecting cutlery, in the form of pocket knives (strange the hobbies we've taken up during the pandemic, no?) had resulted in further frustration. I had left my epic We (brand) Sea Monster sitting on the dining room table at home in Atlanta. Google it, it's epic.

Speaking of Google, the search for botanical gardens (fahk me, I was in the mood to photograph flowers) had potentially saved the day. Did you know (yeah, yeah--I bet you already knew) that the Ringling is in Sarasota? As in Ringling bros. As in acres of museums, botanicals, and a epically gaudy version of the Biltmore now all under the care of Florida State University. Well, let's purchase an all-let-me-in pass for today! But they don't open for a spell. Let's solve the next problem.

Let's go buy a knife from this guy!

At this place!

Yup, I went to the Gun Shoppe, to buy a knife fight... wait, no.

They do custom engraving, and I was wasting way too much of Brian's time, and didn't want to have to eat Ramen for the rest of the trip (remember, still need to get to the best Mexican food restaurant in (near) Sarasota. THEN, he showed me a used knife. Used. Hmmmm, never bought a used knife before. What he shared was a Brous Blades XR-1, #375 of 500. A little old lady had owned it, and only taken it out at gun fights at church on Sundays. It was still the factory edge, still sparkly sharp.

Look! The day is turning around already!

Day Five cont'd below

Spyder Garage

Default Day Five cont'd

The Ringling had a note to please buy tickets online ahead of time. Okay, easy enough.

What they didn't tell you was complying with their innocuous request would result you in getting to avoid a line that filled the lobby and poured outside into the Florida sun! Just walk right by all these folks who don't know how to read a web page, and walk up to a counter and say, I have an online ticket and I want to take lots of peechurs!

That little exercise in interwebs compliance results in Joan saying "Would you like to photograph the Asolo theatre as well?

Meet Joan

I didn't hear Joan's story, but she did tell me the story of the Asolo.

"Given John Ringling’s passion for the theatrical movement, color, and emotion of Baroque art, it is apt that the Museum’s first director, A. Everett Austin, Jr., dramatically expanded the showman’s collection by acquiring an 18th-century Italian theater."

He acquired a WHOLE FRAKKIN Italian theatre (notice I'm using the fancy schmancy spelling). The Asolo was built in 1798 in the great hall of Caterina Cornaro's palace--a 15th century Queen of Cyprus who was exiled to Asolo, Italy.

The Ringling purchased the theatre for $8,000 in 1949 because it had been dismantled to to make way for a film theater in 1931.

The rest of the property consists of the mansion, Ca' D' Zan, two circus museums, the Museum of Art, multiple botanical gardens, and Mable Ringling's Rose Garden. I took hundreds of photos, I'll endeavor to be sparse and selective.

Day Five cont'd

Spyder Garage

Default Day Five cont'd - Looking for my Keys in Florida

I learned a trick years ago with amusement parks. Don't get distracted by the first big ride you see. Get there when they open, and race to the back of the park--avoiding all the crowds that get distracted by the shiny baubles. Then you will be ahead of the crowd for at least the first couple hours.

So, I headed back to one of the gardens Joan told me I must see!

Passed by the two circus museums, and I was near the mansion. That will wait for a little while.

And nobody kicking sand in my face on the beach!

Day Five to be cont'd

Spyder Garage

Ca' d'Zan (or House of John) was inspired by Venice's Ducal Palace, Ca' d'Oro. John and Mable Ringling had traveled Europe for nearly 25 years, acquiring circus acts and art. As one of America's wealthiest couples, the Ringlings, started building Ca' d'Zan in 1924 and completed it shortly before Christmas, 1926, for the then princely sum of $1.5 million. Sadly, their happiness in their Sarasota bay front home was short lived as Mable passed only three years after its completion from Addison's disease and complications from diabetes.

The house is 36,000 square feet, is five stories tall, and has a full basement. The original 16th century Spanish tile roof was imported by the builder, Owen Burns. Dwight James Baum was the famous NY architect who designed it.

The house was built of terra cotta 'T' blocks, concrete and brick. and is covered with stucco and terra cotta and embellished with glazed tile.

Spyder Garage

That architect went through a lot ink making the drawings to that behemoth.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I just had no concept of the wealth of the Ringlings. Mind boggling for the times. Mind boggling for the times and the industry.

Spyder Garage

To give a sense of the Ringlings' wealth, let's go look at their art collection... but first Mable's Rose Garden. I believe it may at times be epic. Sadly, there was only one rose in bloom.

I give you... "The Bloom"

It was getting quite hot, so I continued on to the Art Museum. I was not expecting what I saw.

This was only one part of one wing of the museum, and there were two equally epic wings on this bird. This shot from one side through the courtyard in the middle.

While not the Louvre, it rivaled many of the smaller cities' museums I've seen over the years.

Hope you didn't want to see complete paintings... they were too big to fit.

This woman had a stone cold stare.

Tom Brady was there, just hangin' out.

Next up, let's go to the circus!

Spyder Garage

A while back, PBS TV has a series about the circuses from beginning to a sad end. The Barnums began with nothing.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    A while back, PBS TV has a series about the circuses from beginning to a sad end. The Barnums began with nothing.
    I started out with nothing, too.

Still have most of it left.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    I started out with nothing, too.

Still have most of it left.

Spyder Garage

Default Yup, still Day Five - Looking for my Keys in Florida

It takes two buildings to house the museum at the Ringling dedicated to the Circus. The idea of the museum did not belong to John Ringling, it was the brainchild of A. Everett “Chick” Austin Jr.’s, the Ringlings’ first Director and a member of the International Brotherhood of Magicians.

These ladies were turning out for their day at the Ringling!! You go girls!!

Established in 1948, the Ringling Museum of the American Circus was the first to document the rich history of this form of entertainment. And because in 1927 John Ringling had made Sarasota the Winter Quarters of the Ringling Bros and Barnum & Bailey Circus, many of the performers moved to the immediate area. As a result of their contributions, the Museum’s collection of wardrobes and circus memorabilia rapidly grew.

One of the amazing finds for me was a display with Lou Jacobs clown car. I remember Lou as a kid. Christened Johann Ludwig Jacob, professionally known as Lou Jacobs--Lou was a German-born American auguste clown who performed for Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus for more than 60 years.

Lou's clown car act is featured in the 1952 Cecil B. DeMille movie, The Greatest Show on Earth.

What a day! I took hundreds of pictures, and I still had the best Mexican food in Sarasota to look forward to!

Spyder Garage

Okay, I've been teasing the taquito long enough about tacos. Welcome to the best Mexican food in Sarasota!

It would HAVE to be housed in a gas station to even be in the running for the title. This little gem is ensconced in the Texaco Station on S. Tamiami Trail! Ding ding ding! Winner winner, Mexican dinner!

(credit Patrick Snow, 2019)

for those of you directionally challenged >>
    https://goo.gl/maps/pt6KEDmh88bQfjFE7

Sorry, no pics of the food--it didn't last long enough to photograph.

Not much else to share for Day Five, except I barely beat the rain back to the Best Western--good thing I was only 2 blocks away.

This feller didn't mind a cloudburst...

End of Day Five

Spyder Garage

Default Day Six - Looking for my Keys in Florida

Today was another road day. Before I head out, the Honey Bee and apple blossom is for my stepdad. He grew up on a fruit farm in Michigan, and I remember for the first time as a young boy, tasting what REAL apple cider tasted like. Not that pasteurized, over filtered crap they sell in a lot of grocery stores. Fresh pressed cider. He made the best apple dumplings in the world, it was Grandma Vera's old family recipe.

Sorry it's upside down, tilt you head waaaayyyy to the side and squint.

And I would spend the day dodging this >>

...not successfully, by the by. Not a lot of photo ops, due to the inclement weather.

Route >>

But I did get this nice shot.

Nice overcast shot, no harsh shadows. Almost golden light...

At Myakka River State Park. Not much interesting (oooooh, aren't I casting shade) to say about Myakka River. One of the highlights on the landing page of the park's website, is that you need to bring your own utensils if you rent a cabin.

Charlotte showing off her opinion on the matter.

I did arrive, none the worse for rain wear (who needs gloves). And arrived in time, I did, to help with estate 'things.' Pictured are my sister, and one of my step brothers.

Rick is an avid kayaker and outdoorsman, and is so famous, he's INfamous for his impression of Jackbox (a little gamer humor for you button mashers).

My task for the next two days would be sorting through Dad's old tool shed, which joyfully, contained all his old tackle boxes. I was able to sort through his collection of lures (he had an affinity for Rapala lures), and spread them throughout the sons, grandsons, and a couple granddaughters who also wanted a memento.

My temporary office...

Tomorrow, the funeral. Sigh.

That said it was built by the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps), thanks to President Roosevelt. One of eight State Parks in Florida developed by the CCC in the 1930's.

Spyder Garage

Default Day Six cont'd

Yes, you can pick up your very own 6 foot long Rapala lure. Except... it's out of stock. I wonder who bought them all?

https://www.rapala.com/rapala/lures/...d=rapala-lures

Spyder Garage

Default Day Six cont'd

Okay, Myakka isn't actually that drab... I actually think the cabins look kinda kewl--but didn't check to see if they were a/c'ed. I found it interesting the cabins were built a few feet up on stone pillars--I assumed it's for flooding? I also didn't venture far enough to see the canopy walkway--not for those afraid of heights, but I bet it would lend itself to some fascinating photography.

(uncredited: floridastateparks.org)

You look it up, and decide for yourself. I was just breezin' through, so can't really judge. https://www.floridastateparks.org/le...walkway-myakka

Day Six concluded

Spyder Garage

I second ya on REAL apple cider. Keep these posts and photos coming.

Spyder Garage

I second ya on REAL apple cider. Keep these posts and photos coming.
    Preach it!

Can you post up a bigger pic of that Simplex from the Barber, Ricz???

Spyder Garage

Default Day Seven - Looking for my Keys in Florida

The angel on my helmet is for my step-mother. She collected angels, my whole life. Some people collect something for a season or two, and then the muse pulls them in another direction. Not her. Angels. Hundreds of them.

Today we would say goodbye.

Just a few pics today, and not a lot of commentary. You will see my sister in the pulpit, she is a chaplain, and gave a beautiful eulogy.

The final shot is of one of my step-mother's friends. She knew each one of us kids by name, and what challenges we had each been facing over the last year. She was her friend and confidant.

End of Day Seven

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by malibu_dan View Post
    Can you post up a bigger pic of that Simplex from the Barber, Ricz???
    Your wish is my command. She's one of those, "I wish I kept her" bikes.

128_2817A.jpg

128_2817.jpg

Spyder Garage

Your wish is my command. She's one of those, "I wish I kept her" bikes.

128_2817A.jpg

128_2817.jpg
    THAT is a piece of art!

Spyder Garage

Default Day Eight - Looking for My Keys in Florida

Thank you all for the well wishes. As we get older in life, death is a reality.

Remember Dave and Eveline? Well, they had given me a photo-tag challenge of sorts. They didn't know they were doing it--but did none-the-less. They had shown me a photo from a travel blog that showed a really old building in White Springs, FL for Suwannee Feed. Let's go there!

It was another day of dodging showers (first half at least). So photage will commence with Suwannee!

The current owners, Don and Ann Wilson take pride in keeping the hardware store chainless and shackle free! It is on the site of the original Adam's Country Store, est. 1865!

Day Eight to be cont'd

Spyder Garage

Default Day Eight - Looking for My Keys in Florida cont'd

White Springs is also home to Stephen Foster State Park. Built in the 1950's, the park was built as a tribute to the composer, Stephen Foster who gave us Old Folks at Home (Way Down Upon the Swanee River).

Replete with a beautiful carillon tower, currently under renovation.

Who else used to love their Big Wheel as a kid?!?

From White Springs, I burned on the back roads to Valdosta, the last sleep over of the trip.

My standard question when checking in... "Where's the best Mexican restaurant in town?" The answer? El Toreo Mexican Restaurant. This one wasn't in a Texaco gas station... but it was sublime.

End of Day Eight

Spyder Garage

Default Day Nine - Looking for My Keys in Florida

Well, we're not in Florida anymore, Toto. Got a tip on looking for murals -- nice segue, huh?

The Mourning Dove is for my mother. I lost my mother back, oh about five years ago. I still miss her all the time. I still have the compulsion to pick up the phone and tell her about _________ (fill in the blank with anything). She always had mourning doves who nested in her geranium pot on the front porch, but now I may just be repeating myself.

Murals, you say! Well, let's see what we see along the way!

I must say, really good jerky! I met a couple riders, one a self-proclaimed long distance roller. Nice guys. Mr. Tungsten-butt was riding a ragged out, old school Goldwing. Looked like he could back up his claim. Sorry, didn't get a snap of them.

Here, we go, I can't identify the towns, perhaps ya'll can help?

Fitting last image for the trip. Thank you all for tagging along!

End of Day Nine - End of Trip >> And I believe I found my Keys!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by malibu_dan View Post
    THAT is a piece of art!
    You gotta go to Birmingham and spend a day at the Barber MC Museum. The building is purpose built to be an MC showplace. You take a centrally located elevator to the 5th floor and literally wind your way down a spiral incline. Hundreds of bikes are everywhere, even suspended in space. Two vertical rows of bikes decorate each corner of the elevator structure. The last two are the bike of my dreams, a mid 1980s Italian Morbidelli 850cc V8 with an engine designed by Ferrari. Now that's fine art!

127_2750A.jpg

127_2751.jpg

128_2816.jpg

128_2854C.jpg

128_2857.jpg