Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default You're a Long Way from Malibu... Dan

Thanks for stopping by. Let me share with you some of my photography, some of my rides, and especially some of the people I've met along the way.

Here are some of my favorite journeys and people cataloged in the posterity of this here thread!

June 2021 Looking for my Keys in Florida ... or "How I Hate F^@%1\& Funerals"

July - 2021 - Day 'trippin' in Gawja

===
    Older ride reports in other threads:
    Ride Report - Charlotte on Charlotte

THERE! I started the ding-dang Ride Report

Spyder Garage

Default Day One - Looking for my Keys in Florida ... or "How I Hate F^@%1\& Funerals"

I haven't taken a trip where I had to refill the tank multiple times since... fahk, well before the covids. But now I have to go to Florida to bury my last parent. How's this for a cheery start? I told my bride of 35 years I was going a week early for wind therapy. She said, "Really? But you don't do funerals very well, are you sure you want to go alone?" Her confidence was just the inspiration I needed. That, and I had to order a new dry bag.

Oh, and spoiler alert, I cancelled all my reservations for the Keys the night before I left--I can not abide being beholden to any man! Or hotel clerk!

Spyder Garage

Default Day One - Looking for my Keys in Florida (cont'd)

Winding through the backroads of GA, trying to find my sea legs, or should I say asphalt toes? No, gone are the days of tip toeing on a too-tall for my stubby little legs dual sport, just so I could look kewl. Although there is still one in the stable. In Gawja, you find stuff like this...

And you just have to stop! Oops, not open.

And no trucks allowed!

Spyder Garage

Glad to make your acquaintance Dan. I too have reservations about making reservations. Unless it's a destination I intend to drop anchor at, I make 'em that day - if I know where I'm laying my head for the night. I have never not had a place to sleep. Sometimes I had to stand by the desk in hopes of a 6:00 no show.
    On the serious side, my condolences to you - there's no joy in losing a parent. Providing they were good parents.
    What model F3 am I looking at in your photo?
    Keep them photos coming.
    On 2 wheels, I have ridden the Alps and the mountain roads of northern Georgia. I favor the latter, not only for their velvety lonely backroads, but I also have an affinity for BBQ and hush puppies.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Glad to make your acquaintance Dan. I too have reservations about making reservations. Unless it's a destination I intend to drop anchor at, I make 'em that day - if I know where I'm laying my head for the night. I have never not had a place to sleep. Sometimes I had to stand by the desk in hopes of a 6:00 no show.
    On the serious side, my condolences to you - there's no joy in losing a parent. Providing they were good parents.
    What model F3 am I looking at in your photo?
    Keep them photos coming.
    On 2 wheels, I have ridden the Alps and the mountain roads of northern Georgia. I favor the latter, not only for their velvety lonely backroads, but I also have an affinity for BBQ and hush puppies.
    Thank you, @ricz. I appreciate the thought.

Charlotte is a 2016 F3-S, I bought her as a hold-over in Spring 2017.

Spyder Garage

So, I did get a new dry bag. Revzilla came through for me. My old ones were HUGE, and well, old.

And, fortunately, it kept my ****e dry. That and some trust rok-straps.

So, I decided Friday night I was going on the trip, stayed up until 2am looking for something 'interesting' to shoot. Well, photograph. All I found was a caboose converted into a cabin 50 ft from a railroad track that I could spend the night in. Here, check it out >>>

(credit: owner)

sigh

So, shared my dilemma with my young bride, and she said, "Well, let's make of list of everything you want to see this next year, and I'll make a list and we'll compare". Sounded a bit too much like therapy, but what the heckin's it couldn't be worse than staying in a caboose for an extended stay. So, I made my list.

Everything was up in the mountains, including this from previous trips

(credit: me years ago)

Everything was the wrong direction--Florida is south, dip-****e. So, I told her I was looking for what I needed to connect, to unlock the next chapter in my life. I needed to find the Key. To find the... Key. Heeyyyyy. So, I booked my reservations in the Keys! I had a plan! Plus look how big that old dry bag is!

Spyder Garage

Default Day One cont'd - Looking for my Keys in Florida

So, the towns gave way to orchards and timber. Peaches and pecans, pecans and peaches. But this was a 1300 miles round-about to a funeral, so it seemed fitting to stop by a church yard cemetery. My last parent, my stepmother, had passed after a short stint in hospice. The cancers had returned, but I think she wanted most to be with my dad again. No, her name wasn't Leonora, lots of graves in the cemetery were right around 1900.

She used to collect angels, hundreds mayhaps? This was fitting.

As I mentioned above, my Spyder's name is Charlotte. While she is a fan of literature, she is also a hella Deadpool fan-girl!

Spyder Garage

Maybe deaths about that time were from the Spanish flu. Or ceasing to breathe.
    I love your light hearted take on things. If you can't laugh (especially at yourself) you're in trouble.
    If you find yourself near Birmingham, stop in and visit with the largest personal collection of motorcycles what am at the Barber MC Museum. You will be there all day, so go early. They had to shove me out the door kicking and screaming at half past closing time.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Entertaining thread! Keep it up!

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Spyder Garage

Dan thank you very much for your ride reports. These are what makes the forum fun. Again thanks.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I discovered The Keys are not the only Keys in Florida. Matter o'fact, although some may argue, there's keys all over the ding-dang place. Between list-therapy and departure, I got lots of advice. "The Keys are soooo commercialized." Talked to a co-worker who's currently renting an Airbnb somewhere in the mid-keys with her family (working remote), "It's soooo crowded, we just hang out here or snorkel". Hmmm, time for a lecture.

A key is a type of island. Key is derived from the Spanish word cayo, meaning small island. The main difference between a key and an island is that a cay is formed on the surface of a coral reef, while a regular island is a piece of sub-continental land that is surrounded by water.

One of my designers at work told me to look at Cedar Keys on the Gulf Coast south of Tallahassee. I only have one night's reservation at a roadside motel. I'll look for something near Cedar Keys or on the keys when I stop for the night. But first, one last stop in Gawja!

This was a flash-back moment for me. The last epic 2-up road trip I took with my bride included a stop at Chehaw and the run-in with a ferocious wild creature. And racing tropical storms. And burning down B-n-B's... but I digress.

(credit: younger me)

Old Ride Report to Florida (also)

Next up, FLORIDA! And a watering hole.

(credit: Brice Shirbach -- I was on back roads and no pretty welcome signs, or I just missed it)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Maybe deaths about that time were from the Spanish flu. Or ceasing to breathe.
    I love your light hearted take on things. If you can't laugh (especially at yourself) you're in trouble.
    If you find yourself near Birmingham, stop in and visit with the largest personal collection of motorcycles what am at the Barber MC Museum. You will be there all day, so go early. They had to shove me out the door kicking and screaming at half past closing time.
    Thanks, Ricz. Barber's been on my bucket list for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Yabbadabbadoo View Post
    Entertaining thread! Keep it up!
    Thanks, Yabba

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Dan thank you very much for your ride reports. These are what makes the forum fun. Again thanks.
    I enjoy it, Pegasus. Photography makes the travel more interesting for me, and makes me slow down. Keeps me from loggin' miles just for the sake of miles--missing out on the journey.

Spyder Garage

Wakulla Springs Lodge, now owned by the State Parks of Florida was built by Edward Ball in the 1930's.

(uncredited)

Interestingly this was also the site of a fascinating archeological find, recovering the nearly complete skeletal remains of a mammut americanum, or American Mastodon, now on display in the Museum of Florida History in Tallahassee.

Read about the dig on the Univ of Florida online papers

Watering hole out back >> including some of the wild-life.

The tale of the tragic death of "Old Joe"

This musta also been the last trip for Lloyd's suitcase as well, wonder how much they paid him for it?

And then a short run to end the day to Perry, Florida. BTW, the run from Wakulla to Perry across US98 was some of the most god-awful roads of the entire trip.

PSA: I am back home in ATL and posting this after the fact, not cruising FL dodging Tropical Storms. Thanks for the well-wishes--y'all in Florida button up and stay safe, cause your weather is crazy!

No water in this watering hole >>

End of Day One

Spyder Garage

Default Day Two - Looking for my Keys in Florida

Less than a days notice. Florida tourist season in full swing. Not gonna get a room on the keys, I'll just settle for a room with a key.

Then I found this cute little lodge built in the 1920's called Putnam Lodge.

http://putnamlodge.com/history.php

Stories would unfold espousing ghosts and that Al Capone had stayed there. Maybe he was buried under the cement pond in the back. Maybe HE was the ghost!

Now the catch.

It was only 42 mins away... Well, that's a long day on the road.

So, pivot plans--called the lodge and asked if I could check-in early. "Yes" that room is available. Good, then let's drop my new dry bag off and head to Cedar Keys TODAY!

Rolling. You can't tell from this shot, but the roof on the front of this NAPA is caved in. Won't be tooling around in there today. Old Florida.

By the way, lack of leaning aside--it is SOOOOO much easier to go through a drive through on three wheels. Just sayin'

Speaking of "Old Florida", found this 'archeological' site near Perry, FL. I never really thought about archeologists diggin up the 1950's, but hey, let's look around.

Wonder what kind of creatures were sacrificed on this altar?

Apparently the hooligans have more fun with the creek out back...

And finally, after a long road weary making drive, the Putnam! Can I come in?

Next up, Cedar Keys!

Spyder Garage

Default Day Two cont'd - Looking for my Keys in Florida / Cedar Key

Not quick enough jaunt down what turned out to be the second worst thump, thump, thump road of the trip. You know the kind I'm talking about. Not used to seeing them in Florida. I thought that was a norderner thing. But resilience was rewarded with what was the true start of the trip.

You know how it takes a few days to get into the groove (no pun intended) of a trip. I have to admit I was in a dark headspace. But cut me some frikkin' slack; pandemic and all. Plus, lest I remind of the alternative title for this Ride Report.

I realized about half way through the day that I hadn't talked to anyone outside of "Here's your room key" and "No, I don't want fries with my order." I'll introduce you to my first real conversation of the trip in a little bit.

Cedar Keys is definitely Old Florida. It's a working key, steeped in the clamming industry with their own hatcheries for sustainable farming. They also do a fair amount of trade in oysters. So, when in Rome...

I had some great seafood on this trip. Amazing seafood. This was not it. Steamers was great, but I learned steamed clams are not the cut of my jib. I tipped this gal really well, because I sat there for, I don't know, a couple hours? It was hot out on the tiny little deck, so everyone was sitting inside. She said she didn't mind.

Sorry, I don't recall her name.

My photo vantage point from here was fun.

[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLX8k3oTB41rOpqEGYWJs3eCHTkS-X0yomLlxvt_gxWLSJrirO19NJjhMgVGFR7HBgd_GiOxketUusD vKM4687f16_--MMexNIcMcvALerWbMbqU0tqKz_CWzi_aZBHHN0G4ijsmZK3fUw 2IWgCH5PgRIQ=w1576-h1052-no?authuser=0[/[IMG]

My neighbor on the deck.

More Cedar Key to follow...

Spyder Garage

Kayaks were paddling out to the little island in the background above (or should I say key). And I suddenly heard some excited exclamations; and saw... shark fins? Oh, wait, no.

I asked my server if the dolphins will often jump and splash like that, and she said she had never seen them do it. They often will breech around the kayakers, but this was a first for her as well.

See... the kayakers survived the shark attack >>

Other dangers of key hopping!

More Cedar Key to follow...

Spyder Garage

You thought I was kidding about the sharks...

The key has a fun little art district, and a historic hotel built in 1859. Let's walk around a little bit.

Maybe I under sold that, "...one of Florida's most famous Bed and Breakfast Inns."

https://www.islandhotel-cedarkey.com/

When wifey and I visit together, definitely going to book in and stay there!

Live music in the lobby also, well almost >>

Some art is more subjective than others, don't ya' think?

I met Tony near the pier on Cedar Keys carrying an old guitar. Actually, I met Tony's dog first. He was just a chill, laid back surfer kinda dog who was well into his retirement. He knew how to find the tiniest bit of shade, and just wait for Tony to move on to the next bench.

The bench where I met Tony's dog was right across the sidewalk from this office complex >>

In the 45 mins I spent with Tony, I learned more about his story--the venues he'd played, the beaches he'd surfed, and how he'd learned four months ago he had talent as an artist. He thought he could turn that into a way to earn some scratch. I learned about his heart procedure he'd had a couple months ago. I had to quiet the cynical voice in the back of my head trying to tell me he was just trying to play me. Finally, he'd shared all the pictures of his painting... yes, singular, one painting. He hadn't played a note, but I tried to tip his dog for letting me take his picture, he wouldn't hear of it. I hope I didn't offend. He only asked if he could send me a copy of his painting. I won't share it here, because I didn't ask for his permission. Say hello to Tony, my first real connection of the trip. The darkness had started to lift.

Spyder Garage

Enjoying your ride report. Sometimes it's just about getting out and experiencing life. I do hope to travel to the Florida Keys sometime in the next couple of years.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Scotts8826 View Post
    Enjoying your ride report. Sometimes it's just about getting out and experiencing life. I do hope to travel to the Florida Keys sometime in the next couple of years.
    It was cathartic, Scott. Thank you. I suggest you get out and ride. Be safe, but go explore.

Spyder Garage

Default Day Two cont'd - Looking for my Keys in Florida

Back to the Putnam. Yes, I took a different road back. The lioness was standing guard by the front entrance.

I'll have to talk to the butler about this...

You'll see more of that girl tomorrow. She has good taste in bikes.

The Putnam Lodge was built in the late 1920's, a little earlier than the Wakulla. Putnam was tied to the lumber industry. For my purposes, in addition to having verily eccentric owners, it was the best eatery in town.

See the ladder in the pic below? That was Al Capone's secret escape route. His car was parked below that tiny balcony in case he had to make a quick escape.

My source for this tidbit, as well as having uncertifiable proof of ghosts? Meet Eveline and David.

She grew up in Europe, and David was a damn yankee--I know because I'm one also. They became my social directors on and off for the rest of the trip, via text! In addition to being fascinated with cemeteries and ghosts, they also were a wealth of information for historical places to visit in Florida--and invited me to join them for a private tour of the Dixie County historical society the next day. I bet I have some pics.

More Putnam >>

And one night shot for the...

End of Day Two

Spyder Garage

Default Day Three - Looking for my Keys in Florida

It was time for a down day. Come on, don't give me that ****e--I'm getting old. I haven't logged miles in a millennia. See, even the peacock agrees.

One of the 'things' I do is paint my helmets. In addition to a new dry bag, two days before departure, I noticed my chin bar was loose on my Scorpion modular. Upon closer inspection, I found one of the clamps was... no clamping. Well, so much for a cheap launch on this trip. Now I needed to figure out the theme.

Here's one of my OLDER helmets now retired >>

(credit: younger me)

A big part of today would be figuring out the 'theme'. The noisy inspiration for starting is pictured above. That ding-dang peacock. You can see his head below.

And part of his tail here.

So, I decided to make it a memorial helmet for all my parents. My parents divorced and remarried when I was a youngin'. So, the two animals so far illustrated are a koi for my father. He was a professional scout master with Boy Scouts of America back in the 1960's and 70's. He taught me to fish, to swim, to waterski--a big part of my love for the water is because of him. Later in life, in his 50's he became a preacher man--so it also represents the ichthus.

The mourning dove is for my mother. She always had a pair of doves that nested in the geraniums on her porch in the house I grew up in. Some spiritualists say when a mourning dove appears, it should be a reminder that you have support and love around you and that even death does not separate you from your loved ones.

The owners were fascinated by the fact I was sitting in the dining room painting their peacock on my helmet, so they brought me some lunch. It was the best soup of the trip!

Dave and Eveline texted me and said, "Go, go, go--dolphins jumping, must pay the ferry man!" Or maybe they just said they were heading to our secret tour of the historical society. I called my wife, told her I loved her, and said if she never heard from me again tell the police to look for an older couple riding a Can-am Spyder stopping at museums frequently!

There was also lots of civil war and later photographs, but this stuff interested me more. The safe below was the only thing to survive a fire at the local bank office. Only problem was no survivors knew the combination, until someone recalled they had a safe cracker in the jail. They cut him a deal and he opened the safe for them!

More Day Three to follow

Spyder Garage

Default Day Three cont'd - Looking for my Keys in Florida

I'll try to keep the posts to more manageable length. << Pie crust promise right there!

Let's meet some more people and a chicken. Chicken? Why not?

That evening after an early dinner, I got to hear some more stories and meet more people who coincidentally found themselves at the Putnam.

Best fish dinner of the trip >>

Meet Mark and his wife. (I'm a flop, I almost made up a name, but that would have cheapened their story. I'm sorry I can't find her name in my contacts). So, they fascinatingly lived in the Caribbean for over 20 years. Mark had been through a brutal divorce here in the states, so they decided to up and move to the islands. I didn't ask if his now wife was the reason for said divorce or not--I didn't know them weeeellllll enough for that question--but I did wonder.

She tended bar on the beach, and he did maintenance for some of the resorts. They only moved back to the states because they said they realized they were getting older, and serious health care is non-existent on the islands. They had just returned from a funeral for a Rastafarian woman on St. Thomas whom they and everyone else apparently loved. That funeral was on the beach. My stepmothers would not be that lively a celebration, with singing and dancing and bonfires! Wow, what a send off!

The final couple from the Putnam was Steve and Tammy. Steve was an animal of the long ride. He and his wife were on a Honda Goldwing towing a small trailer with a swivel hitch. He said the hitch made him forget it was back there. I don't recall why they were in Florida, because there next destination was what stood out for me most. They were from southern Indiana, but were heading to ride the Natchez Parkway. Wifey and I rode the entire Natchez for our 25th wedding anniversary, with sojourns off the parkway each day. We both had bucket list things from that trip--hers was seeing Helen Keller's birthplace in Tuscumbia, and for me I got to see a Frank Lloyd Wright house.

Rather than a direct link I'll share this gentleman's website >> https://www.natcheztracetravel.com/....irthplace.html
    The curator of that site handled all of our accommodations flawlessly, if you ever head that way yourself.

Meet Steve and Tammy!

You know a guy who goes to Mississippi by way of Florida ain't afraid of miles. They are smart enough, however to know when to cut bait. They hit terrible storms, literally saw a huge tree fall way too close to them, so they didn't go all the way to Natchez, MS. They only missed the first 100 miles, so they still rode over 300+ miles of the Natchez? Good people.

End of Day Three

Spyder Garage

Default Day Four - Looking for my Keys in Florida

And with that, we can officially start

Day Four - Looking for my Keys in Florida

...with breakfast. There were about 3 or 4 cats patrolling the front porch and protecting my Spyder. But this one was the queen...

"Okay, you may live another day... I no keel you."

Day Four to be cont'd

Spyder Garage

Default Day Four - Looking for my Keys in Florida

I'd had enough of Cedar Key and the Putnam. It was time to say goodbye and head for the beach! But what beach? Well, I had a theme, Keys. I'm feeling a little tired. So... let's head to Siesta Key. Who doesn't like the sound of THAT?!

The lioness had earned her keep and breakfast. I think she was appreciative, because she took the valet service role very seriously after that!

Maybe she was trying to show me she has what it takes to go to 'Siesta' Key! One last resident to say goodbye to. You thought you'd met the owners--this is who really runs the hotel.

Today is not nearly as picturesque. I spent the days burnin' toward the beach, and dodging rain showers. I finally realized my estimated ability to dodge rain drops like a dragonfly were grossly exaggerated.

I finally made it to Siesta Key, well, technically I first made it to Manatee Public Beach. What a beautiful, crowded drive. 44 miles from Manatee to Siesta Key Beach--and not ONE open parking spot to stop, dip my toes in the Gulf, and get a picture. You think I'm exaggerating. Not one.

Maybe I was fatigued, maybe I was tired--but I had had enough. I pulled into a lot, and traded the Spyder in on this >>

Heh. Those of you who called bull****e, give yourself 3 points and proceed to the next level. Your ****e-meter is working great. I headed to the hotel, still on my Spyder; the Best Western Plus Siesta Key Gateway. Wow, that was a mouthful.

=-=-=-=-=
    If you are an anti-vaxer or an anti-masker, please skip over the next paragraph. Not looking to upset you, start a debate, or raise your blood-pressure. You will not hurt my feelings at all if you want to move ahead, you have every right to your feelings and to avoid things you don't want to see. I just thought my check-in experience was funny, that's all.

Checking into the hotel, the gal behind the desk and the table in front of the counter, which prevented me from getting to the counter, was bubbly as can be. She said, in a mixed southern accent, "Oh, honey, you're in Florida now, you don't have to wear that mask." I replied, "Oh darlin', I want to wear it. That way I don't have to ask you if you've been vaccinated!"
    =-=-=-=-=

I headed to my room, lugged my dry bag and all my other bags up to the second floor, and stripped down to my skivvies. Then I cranked the a/c on high and flumped in the chair. Don't know how long I sat there. I might have checked my eyelids for leaks for a moment or two.

Then I decided to paint some more, and checked in with my sister to see if her flight arrangements were still set for the next day.

I decided I had to stand in the ocean--cripes, that's why I came to the beach. So, I went and picked up a steak from one of the chains, don't recall which--it wasn't memorable. And went and ate my dinner beside the ocean. The traffic was all flowing inland, so I had a clear ride.

The kewl part was there was a drum circle... drumming on the beach. There must have been 200 people shouting, dancing, and playing. I cranked the iso up, held my breath, and took the best shot I could shooting hand-held at night. These latest generations of Sony mirrorless cameras are low-light monsters. They can see more than the human eye by far. I couldn't make out any bodies, only the glow sticks with my spying eye.

I made it to Sarasota!!!

End of Day Four

Spyder Garage

I hope either you had on clean skivvies or you put sometjing over them before you headed to get the steak and on to the beach
    I like your style both the writing and the pictures. Looking forward to day five.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze