Spyder Garage

Default Anyone resolved the Whining noise in 2020 RT's? - DONE!

Does anyone know if BRP has resolved the annoying whining sound that begin arounds 50 MPH on the 2020 Spyder RT Limited.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Phyllis View Post
    Does anyone know if BRP has resolved the annoying whining sound that begin arounds 50 MPH on the 2020 Spyder RT Limited.
    Others here have said the latest version of the front drive sprocket (the white one) was designed to eliminate or at least lessen that whine .... IMHO Spyders are motorcycles and NOT Rolls Royce's or Bentley's. They aren't designed or even capable of being Noise or Vibration free. Nor can they obtain Concert Hall Audio sound. This being said, I'm astounded to hear the number of folks here who complain that they EXPECT them to be. .... And I hope you are enjoying Vt's short riding season ..... I am! ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-21-2024 at 02:06 AM.

Spyder Garage

I got a whiny sound from the Kendas.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I just bought a 2021 F3 Limited, my first Spyder and I have a very distinct whining noise when cruising in 5th and 6th gear. It doesn’t bother me and I’m not going to mention it to the dealer for warranty. My ‘85 Gold Wing used to have the same pitch whine. Actually, I think it sounds kind of neat.

Spyder Garage

As I’ve said before I’ve ridden Harleys since the 50s. I am very sure that they have their whines, Clunks and rattles just like many spyders. The reason you don’t hear them is because of the pipes. Compare Harley pipes to our pipes and it’s a difference between night and day. So if you don’t wanna hear any of the above, get louder pipes! You’ll be happier

Peter

Spyder Garage

By any chance have you checked your drive belt clearance on the rear pulley? Mine was running against the inside rear and inside front pulley. Once I got that straightened out 90% of my noise went away. My ex-dealer said they saw nothing wrong with the drive belt the way it was.

I would look there 1st and maybe get the laser alignment just to rule that out. From there if it is still bad then replacing the front sprocket would be next. Just my 2cents worth.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Active Member SpyderGoldwingOwner's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2020RT I get the whining sound at 55mph+
    to me it sounds like wind whistling through a vent somewhere
    2020 Can-Am Spyder RT
    2018 Honda Goldwing DCT

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Mine comes from the passenger. Otherwise I haven't noticed it on my F3T.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Mine comes from the passenger. Otherwise I haven't noticed it on my F3T.
    A sway bar and better seat cured that whine for me.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.

Spyder Garage

I spoke with my dealer today. BRP has a fix for this problem. Part was ordered today. There will be no charge.

Spyder Garage

I spoke with my dealer today. BRP has a fix for this problem. Part was ordered today. There will be no charge.
    What is the fix and the part involved?

Spyder Garage

The part will be installed next Wednesday. I will send you the part number once I have the info..

Spyder Garage

I had the dealer replace the original on my 2021 RT with the new design and it resolved the issue. I also had them add a belt tensioner.
    2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Default BRP has a fix for whining noise in 2020 RT

My dealer replaced the front sprocket in my Spyder today. BRP has redesigned this item. No charge for this service. As I was riding , my Spyder home, there was NO whining noise. It was a pleasure listening to music without this annoying whining sound.

Active Member SpyderGoldwingOwner's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well the whining noise was determined to be caused by my Shoei Neotech 2 which I often have the face shield up while riding. It makes a whining noise when up. When the shield is down it stops. Funny I dont get this noise on my Goldwing
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-03-2021 at 07:38 PM. Reason: wining & winning = whining ;-)
    2020 Can-Am Spyder RT
    2018 Honda Goldwing DCT

Spyder Garage

Interesting…. Thanks for letting us know.
    Must be the way the wind is hitting you but my 2021 RTL seems to block the wind more than my Gold Wing trike did.
    In Texas that isn’t good. I had an F4 shield on the Wing with Baker Air Wings… and wearing an HJC modular helmet.
    RIDE ON!!!!!!
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Slight whine on my 2020 RTL but it isn't annoying. Shan Smoak, the Spyder You Tube, guru, says it's supposed to have some whine, so I accept that. I think 'whine' means different sounds to different riders.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    Slight whine on my 2020 RTL but it isn't annoying. Shan Smoak, the Spyder You Tube, guru, says it's supposed to have some whine, so I accept that. I think 'whine' means different sounds to different riders.
    Same with mine, but it does seem it's getting louder. About 3k miles on mine now.
    2020 RTL
    Utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

My dealer replaced the front sprocket in my Spyder today. BRP has redesigned this item. No charge for this service. As I was riding , my Spyder home, there was NO whining noise. It was a pleasure listening to music without this annoying whining sound.
    I hear a lot of folks talking about this front sprocket. How do I locate it to see if I have the new, noise free, white one? I bet I don't, as I get the same whine at 49mph and goes away at 52mph.

Spyder Garage

In your avatar, it's behind the panel behind your left ankle. 3 Allen screws hold the panel on. Remove it and there's the front pulley. It would be easy to avoid 49 to 52 mph.

Spyder Garage

I just changed my front pulley and the noise is GONE. The second reason for the replacement is to properly install the pulley with moly paste, in an attempt to ward off the 'red dust of death'. If your pulley isn't damaged (red dust) it's a pretty easy job. Made a bigger difference to my riding enjoyment than I anticipated.

Part number: ********705503239 is the sprocket. 250001017 is the flanged bolt.********
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol