Spyder Garage

Default Trouble with my 21 RT - Cruise Control kicking off?!

has anyone had trouble with the cruise control kicking off? mine has done it several times, it allows me to re-set it but sometimes several times before it will stay on.
    just got my spyder the end of march and loving it

Spyder Garage

If you touch the brake pedal, accelerate or shift gears, cruise control will disengage.

If it is actually shutting off for no apparent reason, that's above my pay grade.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Mine is not the smoothest operation, not precise like a car, a little clumsy but it works.

Spyder Garage

Ditto on my "21".
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Nope. So far, so good.

Spyder Garage

Mine is actually a bit hard to disengage the cruise. But, I really like it. I like that it works down to 25 MPH, too. Learning to give it throttle before kicking it out helped.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dabikerguy View Post
    has anyone had trouble with the cruise control kicking off? mine has done it several times, it allows me to re-set it but sometimes several times before it will stay on.
    I have a 2020 RT Limited. When this started I had almost 19,000 miles on it and was 1200 miles from home.

I was recently on a cross country trip (23 days and 7200 miles) and my cruise control started acting up. I'm riding down the road and it would turn off. I'd set it again and a few minutes later it would disengage. Sometimes I couldn't even reset it. I ended up just turning it off. About an hour later I stopped for gas and as I was pulling into the gas station it went into Limp Mode. As luck would have it I was 25 miles away from Deadwood, SD going to the Three Wheeler Rally. My riding partner, Andy, told me my brake lights were flickering and wouldn't stay on.

I made it to Deadwood and talked to Spyderpops. This was Saturday afternoon and the event didn't start till noon on Sunday. He didn't have his computer (BUDS) with him so he told me to stop by tomorrow. The following morning Harvey hooked it up to BUDS and said my brake light switch was faulty and caused me to go into limp mode.

Through trial and error, I was able to figure out how to ride and get home 1200 miles away. The more I use my brakes the more often it went into limp mode. I learned when it went into LM, I just stopped, turned off my bike, took out the key and walked away for a minute or two. (I have since learned that you don't have to take out the key and walk away. All you need to do is let the computer reset.)

On the way home, by the time I exited the highway and got to a gas station, I was in LM. As I gassed up, it reset. Often times I was in LM by the time I got back to the highway. I'd stop on the entrance ramp, reset it and go. I was good for another 150 miles as long as I didn't brake. Repeat as necessary.

After I got home, I took it into my dealer and the brake light switch and spring were replaced under warranty. My Baby's as good as new.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

GL1800s would kick out of cruise when the lever pivots got worn enough to not fully make up the switches (there is one for CC and light on the right, one for CC and start interlock on the left). So, a flaky brake light switch would probably be a major issue on the Spyder. Or a flaky shifter toggle.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) CSW61's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My 2020 RTL started doing this and then other electrical problems. Got to the shop and they found I had water inside my fuse and relay box. got it replaced and works fine now. I keep a check on the fuse box located in the Frunk.
    2018 RT Limited , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    If you touch the brake pedal, accelerate or shift gears, cruise control will disengage.

If it is actually shutting off for no apparent reason, that's above my pay grade.
    I have a 2014 RTL and cruise stays on when accelerating, same as my car. So is this new to the 2020's +?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post
    I have a 2014 RTL and cruise stays on when accelerating, same as my car. So is this new to the 2020's +?
    Accelerating is not one of the things that will shut the cruise off ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I'm at 2000 miles and works as advertised.

Spyder Garage

I was caught out by a Cruise “gotcha” recently. I had a limp home (throttle connector issue) warning appearing spasmodically on a long trip. Turns out one of the throttle cable pins was only just making contact, and would occasionally break that contact, causing a “Limp” mode, which turned off Cruise.

When I first experienced the Cruise shutoff, I immediately pulled over to check it and turned off the F3……didn’t see the limp home light. When I restarted the F3, the pin had obviously reseated itself, and everything worked smoothly. It wasn’t until the 3rd Cruise shut off that I actually saw the Limp symbol.

I am not suggesting that this is your particular issue, just that there are all sorts of “gotchas” that may shut off Cruise.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

thanks everyone for your comments. this gives places to start.
    just got my spyder the end of march and loving it