Spyder Garage

Default Erratic shifting problem

I was cruisin, last sunday, and at a certain point the spyder shifted down from 6 to 5, while I was running at 2400 rpm's, upshift wasn't possible, shifted right back to 5th gear.
    Stopped, and looked if I could see or find somthing out of order, nothing wrong. Hopped back on, and the spyder was running as usual.

Yesterday same problem, anyone any suggestions, spyder had an oilchange and filters a few weeks ago, I checked all the fluidlevels, and they are right on the money.
    So I am a bit flabbergasted...
    The ryde is a Spyder F3s 2019, with 12000 km's on it

Thanks in advance
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

I would never shift up at 2400RPM. I shift up from 3000-3500. 2400RPM could have caused the downshift. I just don't see a problem.

Spyder Garage

normally I cruise, 60/65 km/h in 6th gear @2100/ 2200 rpms, and I shift down when the need arrises to increase speed, not lugging the engine in any way, my problem is that normally my spyder shifts down at 1850 rpm's, when slowing down for a crossraod or a stoppinglight for example. When my problem occured, I was driving at same speed, for more then a few km's, did not hit the shifting switchammethingy... It just shifted down, and a second later trying to upshift, It would not shift up.

This is not how my spyder normally behaves, and it's annoying to say the least.
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    Swaybar (Ron's)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Piratezz View Post
    normally I cruise, 60/65 km/h in 6th gear @2100/ 2200 rpms, and I shift down when the need arrises to increase speed, not lugging the engine in any way, my problem is that normally my spyder shifts down at 1850 rpm's, when slowing down for a crossraod or a stoppinglight for example. When my problem occured, I was driving at same speed, for more then a few km's, did not hit the shifting switchammethingy... It just shifted down, and a second later trying to upshift, It would not shift up.

This is not how my spyder normally behaves, and it's annoying to say the least.
    I am thinking that 60km (35mph) is a little low for 6th gear and is most likely causing the tranny to auto shift back to 5th gear - I also have a 2019 F3 Ltd and my rule of thumb for gears is: 1st = 0-15ish mph / 2nd = 20s mph / 3rd = 30s mph / 4th = 40s mph / 5th = 50s mph and 6th for 62 plus mph. Just another thought is that there is a spring (like one found in pen) with I think two small ball bearings within the shifter and sometimes the spring fails (happened to my 2013 RT at about 30k miles) but this is rare.
    I love how the earth rotates around the sun ... it really makes my day!

Currently Own:

2019 F3 Limited - Vegas White (Dark Edition) - His
    (Baja Ron bar/links-Short reach bars-Center footpegs-Tall boy screen-Flag holders-LED Skidplate-Spydercuffs-Ultimate seat-LED Headlights)
    *** BLOWN MOTOR Apr 21 @3,800 miles, motor replaced by BRP Jun 5, 21 ***

2019 RT Limited - Phoenix Orange (Chrome) - Hers
    (Baja Ron bar/links-Skidplate-Spydercuff-Comfort seat-LED Headlights)

Previously Owned:
    2013 RT SE5 (Orbital Blue) *31,000 Miles* - His
    2012 RT Ltd SE5 (Pink Full Body Wrap) *41,000 Miles* - Hers
    2021 Ryker 900 (Black) Sport Windshield - Foam Grips - Solo Comfort Seat

Spyder Garage

It might be possible that the Gear Box Position Sensor (GBPS) is loose or is going bad. The GBPS is just forward of and slightly below the gear box main shaft. Unfortunately one needs B.U.D.S. to check the operation of the GBPS.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Just for laughs, try keeping the revs over 3K and see what happens. Standing by for a report.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I have a 2018 F3 LTD. At my first service since new, I had shifting issues and asked the tech to look at it. At first he was surprised because he hadn't seen that before but after a bit of research he found a technical bulletin from BRP. The whole left handlebar unit was replaced under warranty. Maybe you have the same issue.

Good luck
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Spyder Garage

As for cruising, in 6th gear, I live in the Netherlands, overhere the tallest mountain we have is 25 meters high, all flat surface here, and good tarmac, The spyder is tuned for more torque at the bottomend, not for high revs.

Thanks all, for provided solutions, will go to the techie who wrenches on my spyder, to see what the problem is, My first guess was also the gearpositionsensor.

Swaybar (Ron's)

Spyder Garage

Another side to you rgear changing technique, Piratezz, is fuel economy. Changing gear in the 3300-3700 zonme will give you good economy. When traveling a little more excitedly you can easily move up to change higher. These 3 cyl Rotax engines will rev very lively and love it. Making them slug along at low revs in high gears will not do the engine any favours and your fuel costs will suffer. You can't hurt them with revs, but you can hurt them with slugging with low revs in a high gear. They are a fun maching. Alomst indestructable. Stur it up a bit and enjoy.
    There is usually another way. 2020 F3Ltd.
    2020 F3 Ltd , Brake Pedel lowered. Liquid Titanium

Spyder Garage

Its not about my technique, it's about the spyder shifting to a lower gear, while I was cruising 60 65 70km/h, I know the spyder loves to rev, I use that feature quite often ghegheghe, but as i said before, my Spyder is tuned for low end torque, not the high revs, always use 98 octane fuel, or higher, which is readily available in the Netherlands, and Germany. But I have the answer, the spyder was in sportsmode, and then shiftings RPM's change, must have pushed the mode button.

Had BUDS connected, no fault codes in tha machine, checked fluidlevels again, all good, so let the miles of smiles begin....

Thanks for all reply's, and suggestions

Swaybar (Ron's)

Spyder Garage

Piratezz thanks for letting know what the BUDS outcome was. Hope your problem is gone or that a least if it breaks again it breaks bad enough that you can see the problem. Miles of smiles.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Piratezz View Post
    always use 98 octane fuel, or higher, which is readily available in the Netherlands, and Germany.
    Not knowing how octanes are rated over there. I can only assume it's like in the States. Our premium is 91 -92 octane. The higher the number, the slower the fuel burns and a too high octane can be counter-productive to power nd mileage. If there is fuel that's closer to 91, try using that.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Not knowing how octanes are rated over there. I can only assume it's like in the States. Our premium is 91 -92 octane. The higher the number, the slower the fuel burns and a too high octane can be counter-productive to power nd mileage. If there is fuel that's closer to 91, try using that.
    ..... however I think they use a rating system, which is higher than in the U.S. ..... jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Mike is right, we rate our fuels diffrent, than the states, or canada, we even have 110octane, which makes the machine even better, nowadays we have the 92 octane, with 10% ethanol, this is our "basic" fuel. not recommended due the high ethanol content.
    The 98 octane, has normally 5% ethanol, and the 110 octane, no ethanol,
    See this link, to see the difference in ratings https://www.etuners.gr/fuel/

The 98 is your premium fuel, rated @93ron

Swaybar (Ron's)

Spyder Garage

I'm curious. How is your bike tuned for bottom end torque?

Spyder Garage

Too satisfy your curiosity, A buddy of mine writes mapping software for the ecu, for a KTM racingteam, so we took the software from a known tuner for the Can Am Spyder, and tweaked it (allot), we altered many things.
    Then did a few runs on the dyno, and tweaked it a little further, I drive spiritly myself, but the missus, is ( due to an accident , she saw before her eyes), scared, so I need to cruise when she's with me on the bike,

That's the reason, for the low revs.... I don't have specific info on the altered mapping, but he sure knows what he's doing. Now I can drive it like a Kitten, but can also drive it as a Lion.

Swaybar (Ron's)

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I appreciate the info (sorry to hear of your wife's understandable fear). I was curious if you changed gearing or drive sprockets or something. Very new to Spyders (not bikes) and had not heard about modifying a Spyder for torque. Of course, my experience here is really limited. Best of luck with the shifting issue.

Spyder Garage

You cannot change gearing, or even change out sprockets, the Nanny will go bonkers, there are two types of gearing (smaller or bigger rearsprocket), but they aren't interchangable....

Swaybar (Ron's)