Spyder Garage

Default Trying to get License Plate Light for CanAm RSS 2012

Hi everyone, first post here and it has to be because I am looking for a part.

I live in Scotland and have phoned all the dealers looking for a license plate light, part number 710001993 but none have any in stock and the part is listed by BRP as vintage and has to be ordered through vpartsinc.com None of them can do this for me as BRP won't let them do it and have said that i to do this by myself. I tried ordering direct at vintage parts but have to be an authorised dealer. Does anyone know of any dealers I can go through to get this part or am i better to replace this with something else.

Had a similar issue recently trying to get Kenda fronts, none available in the UK so have gone for Michelin cross climates (being fitted next week)

Spyder Garage

Default looking to replace license plate light Spyder 2012 RSS

Hi everyone, this is my first post and I am wondering if you can help.

I live in Scotland and I am trying to replace the License plate light (710001993) , have phoned all the dealers in Uk but they none in stock and the part is listed as vintage by BRP on their stock lists so has to ordered through Vpartsinc.com None of them are allowed to do this according to BRP uk and they have all said that I try ordering from someone in USA or Canada. I tried ordering from VParts (vintage parts) and set up an account, but you have to be an authorised dealer at the checkout to buy anything.

Does anyone have any dealers I can go through to get this part?

(ps it was bad enough trying to get kenda fronts for the RSS!, none available in the UK at the moment so going for Michelin CrossClimate)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kennyscot View Post

I live in Scotland and I am trying to replace the License plate light (710001993) , have phoned all the dealers in Uk but they none in stock and the part is listed as vintage by BRP on their stock lists so has to ordered through Vpartsinc.com None of them are allowed to do this according to BRP uk and they have all said that I try ordering from someone in USA or Canada. I tried ordering from VParts (vintage parts) and set up an account, but you have to be an authorised dealer at the checkout to buy anything.

(ps it was bad enough trying to get kenda fronts for the RSS!, none available in the UK at the moment so going for Michelin CrossClimate)
    Well not having a KENDA tire is a hugh PLUS ..... The " cross climate " is one of , if not , the BEST tire you can get ..... As to the License plate, I would find a small LED that can be found at any Auto parts store ...... good luck .... Mike

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

So, Kenny. You are looking for the entire light fixture and not just the bulb, correct? Honestly, I'm looking at parts diagrams and the 2013 light looks identical to the 2012 light on those diagrams. It's just that in 2013, there was a difference between the European light and the US light, and it got another part number. But, it still looks the same as it did in the 2012 diagrams. Would the 2013 light - 710003349 - work on your 2012? These are definitely available.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

GOOD LUCK FINDING ONE.....
    i think i got the last one from CUSTOM DYNAMICS....
    however, i've made no less than 5 of them for myself and friends... a little sheet metal, some plastic, red spray paint n heat gun and a bit of effort and you'll be fine....
    20181231_121927.jpg this is from CUSTOM DYNAMICS

this is one of the ones i made for a friend
    20200317_122948.jpg
    20200316_113304.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-16-2021 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display

Spyder Garage

hi everyone

Really appreciate all the posts and comments, its good to know you can reach out and get help. Following Mike's advice found this which seems to match within a few mm the part that I am trying to replace

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233422340...sAAOSwGzhaIC0N

When I get it fitted will take a pic to let everyone see, not ideal as I was wanting to keep everything original but sometimes its just not possible i suppose.

Kenny
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Hi Doug

Thanks for suggesting that, I have looked at the parts diagrams and as you said the part looks similar to the 2015 model, will go back to the dealers and see if they come back with this as vintage as well!

Spyder Garage
    2021 Sea to Sky , cyclops light, front fender light/turn signal, rear run/brake/ turn signal LED strip, BRP floor board light Green

Spyder Garage

Hi Guys

went back to dealers and did what Doug suggested and asked if the light for an 2015 RS/ST came up in the stock list as vintage as well – it came back as available in stock so got it. Turns out only difference is the connector plug to the wiring harness, but the plate cover is exactly the same so it just screwed that on to the one already on the trike, now got it back to original.

I had made temporary cover out of the lid off a plastic business card box, it was nearly a good fit and didn't look too bad but having the right thing is better, now a happy man again!

posting a few pics to let you see
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

eBay?
    Former Navy LT, Retired Chemical Dependency Therapist, Retired Widower, "Do, or do not, there is no try"... Jedi Master Yoda.
    Proud member of AA, PGR, and a Navy Shellback!
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , matte black trim, Green/gray Charcoal? depends on the lighting

Spyder Garage

Here you go Kenny, more than 10 available.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393461744126
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

I live in Scotland and have phoned all the dealers looking for a license plate light, part number 710001993 but none have any in stock and the part is listed by BRP as vintage and has to be ordered through vpartsinc.com None of them can do this for me as BRP won't let them do it and have said that i to do this by myself. I tried ordering direct at vintage parts but have to be an authorised dealer. Does anyone know of any dealers I can go through to get this part or am i better to replace this with something else.

Had a similar issue recently trying to get Kenda fronts, none available in the UK so have gone for Michelin cross climates (being fitted next week)
    I've got the number plate fitting with the license plate light in my shed as I replaced my rear mudguard etc with the tail piece off a motorbike. I'm guessing its the same part as the UK one so if you get really stuck I can post it over.

Only issue is that we're currently in level 4 lockdown as we've had a Covid outbreak in the North Island. Post offices etc are closed so it could be a while before I could post it.

EDITED: For some reason I only saw first post, but when I posted mine other entries came up in the thread and I see you've already got it sorted with some DIY:-)

Spyder Garage

Hi Pistonblown

Thanks for the offer, as you said got it sorted by asking the dealer to look for parts for the 2015 model parts list and they were listed in stock. also found a trailer light which is close match, only 5mm out in length, depth and height, and it only cost £7 instead of the £70 (when you include shipping) for the original part so now have this as my spare if it breaks again

Spyder Garage

Just saw this post. I recently did a rear fender delete and it's sitting in my garage. Assuming the US and European models aren't different, you would have been welcome to it (just pay shipping). Glad your innovation and ingenuity worked! We have no dealer here so improvising and self-help is the rule rather than the exception! Aloha!

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hi Dave here, You will not find one , BRP no longer has them and Custom Dynamics quit making them when BRP dropped the GS-RS-RSS
    I got this at the auto parts store looks like it came on it new and the cost was $6.00 US

fullsizeoutput_63c7.jpgAldDuyjvRRuZ25vjVA4Xiw.jpg
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 08-28-2021 at 02:20 PM.

Spyder Garage

Hi Pistonblown

Thanks for the offer, as you said got it sorted by asking the dealer to look for parts for the 2015 model parts list and they were listed in stock. also found a trailer light which is close match, only 5mm out in length, depth and height, and it only cost £7 instead of the £70 (when you include shipping) for the original part so now have this as my spare if it breaks again
    Hi Kenny,
    I have a 2011 rss and have just lost the cover, i am looking at different replacements, i can see i need 75 mm centre to centre for the bolts.That cheap trailer light you have does it fit? and could you post up a link for it if possible.
    TIA,

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh1 View Post
    Hi Kenny,
    I have a 2011 rss and have just lost the cover, i am looking at different replacements, i can see i need 75 mm centre to centre for the bolts.That cheap trailer light you have does it fit? and could you post up a link for it if possible.
    TIA,
    Hi Dave

just seen your post, will try and find the info for the part i bought, it was for an Ifor Wlliams trailer

Kenny

Spyder Garage

Hi Welsh1

have found the info, this is what ia bought as a spare for the spyder, its a close fit but you might have have to adjust/drill new holes

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...40687&_sacat=0

Did you try and use the part number for the 2015 RSS when looking or contacting dealers, its the exact same as the 2011 part just different part number. When asking the dealer using 2011 part number luck, when using the 2015 part number one was in stock, only thing is the part cost £74 including postage compered to £6+postage for the one from eBay.

Hope this helps you along the way to finding what you need

Kenny

Spyder Garage

I had mine break off while in Quebec last year, I call my Dealer "ST Onge" in Barrie, Ontario and they had one in a week for about $70 Canadian. Hope that helps
    Done all of Canada except NWT and parts of Australia, New Zealand and areas of Europe

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Nokesy View Post
    I had mine break off while in Quebec last year, I call my Dealer "ST Onge" in Barrie, Ontario and they had one in a week for about $70 Canadian. Hope that helps
    Probably won't help the original poster now Nokesy, considering that the original post was put up in August 2021!

Even the last few posts in this thread (those immediately before yours, anyway ) were put up waaayyy back in December 2021, which once more highlights why it's so important that you

It ALWAYS pays to check the date on the first post in a thread AND the dates of the last half dozen or so posts before you reply to a thread!! That way you won't get caught out quite so often (cos we all do it and probably will continue to do it every now & then ) but at least by checking the dates, you're likely do similar 'thread archeology of questionable benefit due to the time that's passed since the question was asked' juuust a little less often, which might save you from looking quite so far behind the times!

Just sayin', so you and other readers/potential posters can learn.

Cheers
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-14-2023 at 08:19 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!