Spyder Garage

Default Cone size for a front tire balance

I have been searching for a manual tire balancer for the front wheels on our 2020 RTL. Does anyone know the cone size needed to make one work properly?
    2018 Spyder ST Limited , Asphalt Gray

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The best, quickest, and most accurate way to balance your front wheels is to take them off and take them to a tire store and have them spin balanced. We've been purchasing all of our vehicle (cars and truck) tires from Big O for several years. Big O mounted and balanced my spyder's front tires for free as a courtesy for us giving them our business. After Squared Away finished my alignment I have no bounce, no wiggle, no shimmy, and my front end has been rock solid ever since. Ron's sway bar also contributes greatly to a very stable ride. Just a suggestion from the experience I've had.

Spyder Garage

Marc Parnes makes a balancer that works with the Spyder fronts. You need the long shaft LAX.1 and standard universal cones to do the rear and COMBI cones for the fronts. Looking at his site, he offers a Cam Am set now. I would call to be sure it includes the long shaft.

http://www.marcparnes.com/Can-Am_Spy...lancer.htm#SPY
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    The best, quickest, and most accurate way to balance your front wheels is to take them off and take them to a tire store and have them spin balanced. We've been purchasing all of our vehicle (cars and truck) tires from Big O for several years. Big O mounted and balanced my spyder's front tires for free as a courtesy for us giving them our business. After Squared Away finished my alignment I have no bounce, no wiggle, no shimmy, and my front end has been rock solid ever since. Ron's sway bar also contributes greatly to a very stable ride. Just a suggestion from the experience I've had.
    There are times when it is not the most convenient way to have a tire changed and balanced. I have other motorcycles that I change tires on too. Being retired with a shop full of tools makes for something to do at home while saving money over the long run.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    Marc Parnes makes a balancer that works with the Spyder fronts. You need the long shaft LAX.1 and standard universal cones to do the rear and COMBI cones for the fronts. Looking at his site, he offers a Cam Am set now. I would call to be sure it includes the long shaft.

http://www.marcparnes.com/Can-Am_Spy...lancer.htm#SPY
    Thanks for the heads up.

That looks like a great solution for the Spyder. I actually sent an email earlier today to see whether or not the Spyder cones will indeed work with my Super Tenere. If it does, then I have a winner.

Spyder Garage

Not every auto tire shop will have cones that fit.

Spyder Garage

The Tenere cones will work on the spyder rear but you need the 14 in bar. I use my rice/tea-burner cones (same as Yami front) for rear. Just had to buy the combi cones for front because already have the 14 shaft.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lstayner View Post
    There are times when it is not the most convenient way to have a tire changed and balanced. I have other motorcycles that I change tires on too. Being retired with a shop full of tools makes for something to do at home while saving money over the long run.
    It was just a suggestion, nothing more. To me free is free, and I got a cup of coffee to boot. With that said, I have the greatest respect for the DIY'rs. I'm one of them most of the time anyway, so if you have the time and tools do it. The older we get the easier way seems to be the way to go. Ride safe, have fun.

Spyder Garage

I have been using the Harbor Freight bublle balancer with no problems. https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=tire%20balancer
    I use stick on weights.
    2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderJerry View Post
    I have been using the Harbor Freight bublle balancer with no problems. https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=tire%20balancer
    I use stick on weights.
    That is also a good option! Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    It was just a suggestion, nothing more. To me free is free, and I got a cup of coffee to boot. With that said, I have the greatest respect for the DIY'rs. I'm one of them most of the time anyway, so if you have the time and tools do it. The older we get the easier way seems to be the way to go. Ride safe, have fun.
    I agree that the older we get the easier it is to hire things done. I had to do that when I was working all the time. Now if it takes me all day to tinker around, I am OK with that.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderJerry View Post
    I use stick on weights.
    I have been using the Snap On hand spin dynamic balancer with no problems.