Spyder Garage

Default Another BRP issue, looking for advice

Once before I used Waze on my Iphone, but did not connect the cable to the Spyder. Today I wanted to keep the phone charged while using Waze so I plugged it in but did not specifically activate the BRP connection. Yet, I guess because of the cable hookup, the BRP took over the phone and gave me a blank screen on the phone but nothing on the Spyder display. I'm trying to figure out how to make use of the power connection for my phone without having BRP involved at all. I wonder if I delete the BRP app from my phone completely if that will allow me to do what I want. Once I am using my phone for navigation, I don't see any reason to use the BRP app at all, but I admit I do not know if that will fix the issue. Advice?
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    Once before I used Waze on my Iphone, but did not connect the cable to the Spyder. Today I wanted to keep the phone charged while using Waze so I plugged it in but did not specifically activate the BRP connection. Yet, I guess because of the cable hookup, the BRP took over the phone and gave me a blank screen on the phone but nothing on the Spyder display. I'm trying to figure out how to make use of the power connection for my phone without having BRP involved at all. I wonder if I delete the BRP app from my phone completely if that will allow me to do what I want. Once I am using my phone for navigation, I don't see any reason to use the BRP app at all, but I admit I do not know if that will fix the issue. Advice?
    I’ve done much like you and deleted the BRP app from my phone but it still does not play nice. I have started letting the phone connect thru Bluetooth only and that works better but still unable to listen to FM radio on the Spyder and also hear Bluetooth map directions at the same time. If you use Bluetooth only and stream your music that works pretty well. I use a battery bank in my dash bag to keep the phone charged. I’m going to see if I can find a non-data lightning cable (iPhone) and I think that will let me charge from the bikes battery and still use Bluetooth only connection.

Spyder Garage

You can always buy a data blocker and use that inline...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    My vice is passion for KISS.
    Oh, and food.

Current ride: 2019 Spyder RT-L in Phoenix Orange.

2019 RT-L , Phoenix Metallic Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kissfan View Post

I second this approach.

Steve
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kissfan View Post

That sounds perfect, I’m going to order and give it a try. Thanks for posting I had no idea such things existed and trying to find a non data cable was also fruitless so far.

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all. I just ordered that data blocker from Amazon. If that doesn't work I guess I will need to buy a battery bank to keep in the glove box.

Once I have the data blocker, will it matter if I leave the BRP app on my phone?
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Just another observation, Vito. I have BRPC, a Zumo XT (which I find vastly superior to the BRPC Sygic GPS due to its size, clarity, ease of use and BT capabilities, and a UClear Motion headset (also the latest BT technology).

I now have the best of both worlds. I have BRPC BToothed to my iPhone and UClear, and my XT also BToothed to my UClear. It works brilliantly for me. Music, phone, FOBO are all controlled perfectly and easily by BRPC through the joystick and tank controls, while the XT independently handles GPS. The UClear is smart enough to mute music when an XT voice direction comes through.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

There are two types of cables for phones… the cheap ones are charge only and the other are charge and sync. Just buy a charge only cable and it should work fine.

Spyder Garage

here is another option that I like even better as it does not have a cable hanging across the dash. I ran the power directly to the battery. It has 2 USB hookups and an on/off switch

Attached Images Attached Images
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

I use an old LG phone with a non-initialized SIM card and my MP3 files on and SD card in it for streaming music on our RTL. I plug the phone into the USB charging port in the trunk. This port seems to be only powered with the key ON, but the phone powers down when the USB port turns off. I don't use BRPC at all.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Plugged in the data blocker (2 pack from Amazon was less than $10) and now I can keep my Iphone on the charging cord and use Waze without BRP taking over my phone or otherwise interfering. Thanks to those that suggested this easy solution. I doubt that I will make any use of BRP Connect from now on, but I see no problem with leaving the app on my phone. I really like Waze because I find it is always up to date on roads, construction detours, location of police watching for speeders, etc. and using Bluetooth I hear the turn by turn directions in my helmet speakers.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    Plugged in the data blocker (2 pack from Amazon was less than $10) and now I can keep my Iphone on the charging cord and use Waze without BRP taking over my phone or otherwise interfering. Thanks to those that suggested this easy solution. I doubt that I will make any use of BRP Connect from now on, but I see no problem with leaving the app on my phone. I really like Waze because I find it is always up to date on roads, construction detours, location of police watching for speeders, etc. and using Bluetooth I hear the turn by turn directions in my helmet speakers.
    I meant to post too but forgot. I received my data blockers (came as a package of two). Went foe an entire day ride and they worked perfectly. Kept the phone charged during use and allowed me to connect via Bluetooth for music and map directions. Thanks @kissfan for recommending them!

Spyder Garage

I just ordered these as well! Thank you

Spyder Garage

How are you guys managing to pair a phone to the Spyder without BRP Connect becoming involved? Which choices in the menu allow that?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
    How are you guys managing to pair a phone to the Spyder without BRP Connect becoming involved? Which choices in the menu allow that?
    Big Mac, see my more detailed reply on the other thread where you asked a similar question….You do not have to get BRPConnect involved if you either use a data blocker in the glove box connector or use another USB power socket. You DO have to accept BRP Connect as the BT connection to your phone, but that does NOT start BRPConnect at any time.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red