Spyder Garage

Default Do ELKA or M2 Shocks make a large difference?

I have good tires now - will upgrading my front shocks provide even more of a difference?
    Thanks in advance,
    Jim

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    I have good tires now - will upgrading my front shocks provide even more of a difference?
    Thanks in advance,
    Jim
    If you don't have one of Ron's Sway Bars I would consider that first ...... IMHO the reason to consider a more HD shock / spring is if the weight of driver and passenger is at - above or near the weight limit for the bike. The Sway Bar has more to do with the handling ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I just did a Spring Upgrade . it was less expensive but i love the differance IMG_3547.jpg

Spyder Garage

Short answer - yes. New aftermarket shocks will have preload adjusters, most likely have rebound damper adjustments - M2 shocks do, and probably 250 lb/in springs - I have installed new M2 shocks all round. Upgrading the front shocks will most likely entail a rear shock upgrade as well. A good set of front shocks with a shock spring better rated for the Spyder will support the front end of the Spyder better - keeps the weight distribution of the Spyder - keeps the front/rear weight distribution more consistent. Less rear weight will be transferred forward when stopping, emergency braking and such. Road clearance will be better and the probability of scrapping the front trunk eliminated. Significantly less lean/roll in the corners/curves riding solo or two up. Steering will be easier. OEM shocks allow too much weight forward, not able to support the weight properly, making steering harder. Ride quality and performance will be improved.

New tires, suspension is the only aspect of the Spyder keeping the tires firmly planted on the road, specifically the shocks. The better the shocks, the better for the tire longevity and performance. Viewed a video regarding shocks. The fellow in the video mentioned that if you want to off road and such, an inexpensive shock that does the job is great, Spyder OEM shocks, but when you get back on the road, you want the ride quality to be like that of a Lincoln Navigator - Elka/M2/Wilber/Ikon shocks.

A good set of aftermarket shocks are expensive, custom made for your riding profile. There are less expensive modifications that can be done, but when doing this always a compromise. The better aftermarket shocks allow you to tailor the shock spring rate for your riding profile. If you find the manufacturer's recommended spring rate not quite what you want, you can discuss the issue with the manufacturer, change the shock springs and carry on - difficult to do with OEM shocks even if you modify these.

My preference after having all 3 items done, shocks, sway bar, tires is shocks first, then sway bar if you want, tires are a nice touch. A sway bar will not replace or do what a good quality set of shocks will do for the ride quality and performance.

In defense of this, the suspension should be viewed as a system, where each item - in this case, shocks, sway bar, and tires, does a specific job and complements the other parts. Upgrade one item, ride and assess. If more tuning is required for your riding profile, make a further change.

A few thoughts and JMHO.
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

JimH -- our Australian friends suggested I consider their made-in-Australia Ikon shocks and I placed my order last week. They have dual-rate springs (three choices for the fronts) and 4-position rebound adjustment. They are priced nicely for my wallet. Contact Roger at IkonUSA to determine if they are the right choice for you.

https://www.ikonsuspensionusa.com/pr...ies-7613-1006/
    https://www.ikonsuspensionusa.com/pr...ock-3610-1084/
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Yeah, my rear Ikon for my ‘21 RT should be arriving at home (in Aus), next week, Bert. It sure beats the cost of buying US, converting to Aussie$, and wearing a huge shipping cost. $800 aud or so, and you’re done (probably $1500+ aud if they were shipped from the US )

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    JimH -- our Australian friends suggested I consider their made-in-Australia Ikon shocks and I placed my order last week. They have dual-rate springs (three choices for the fronts) and 4-position rebound adjustment. They are priced nicely for my wallet. Contact Roger at IkonUSA to determine if they are the right choice for you.

https://www.ikonsuspensionusa.com/pr...ies-7613-1006/
    https://www.ikonsuspensionusa.com/pr...ock-3610-1084/
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    Thanks in advance,
    Jim
    Well Jim not knowing what bike you have it's hard to tell, but like Mike said I would start with a sway bar, if you don't have a 2020 or up! I guess some of the members that have the newer styles say BRP has done better on those, but I can tell you with my 2012 RTL new shocks made a big difference, and I am glad I am glad I did it!!!! I first did the sway bar after a year out from buying it, that fixed a lot of the body roll I had, the shocks was the icing on the cake, my next one will be a set of car tires!!! Got to wear out the old ones first!! What don't you like about your ride?? That's what we have to know to help you!!! Good luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

JimH -- if you have a 2014-2019 RT and decide on a sway bar before shocks, let me know and I'll put my brand new in the box Lamonster sway bar up for sale (Black links). Ikon's engineer (Geoff) said the BRP sway bar was preferred for their shocks. I kinda got carried away with all the sway bar talk and bought one, against my experience and judgement, before buying the shocks.

WRT tires, changing from the old Kendas to Vredestein Quatrac 5s was a great, but not sufficient, improvement (from treacherous to concerning) in stability and turning.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    JimH -- if you have a 2014-2019 RT and decide on a sway bar before shocks, let me know and I'll put my brand new in the box Lamonster sway bar up for sale (Black links). Ikon's engineer (Geoff) said the BRP sway bar was preferred for their shocks. I kinda got carried away with all the sway bar talk and bought one, against my experience and judgement, before buying the shocks.

WRT tires, changing from the old Kendas to Vredestein Quatrac 5s was a great, but not sufficient, improvement (from treacherous to concerning) in stability and turning.
    Bert if Iwas you I would put that sway bar on, I think you will enjoy it!! And with the Quatrac 5 you are heading to a real good place!! What are you waiting for??
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    If you don't have one of Ron's Sway Bars I would consider that first ...... IMHO the reason to consider a more HD shock / spring is if the weight of driver and passenger is at - above or near the weight limit for the bike. The Sway Bar has more to do with the handling ..... good luck .... Mike
    NO - it makes a HUGE difference.

I was going to fit a sway bar but have sat on that idea for now.
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White