Spyder Garage

Default Looking for large Cargo trailer

One of my hobbies is sailing remote control sail boats. My largest boat has a sail bag that would need the interior of the trailer to be 6' X 3'. I know this is huge for pulling behind a spyder, but the weight I would put in it would be minimal. Anyone know of anything this large or should I think about building my self? My thought would be to have 2 layers in the trailer. One I could have shade tent, cooler and chair and other level would hold boat, sails, and small tool box. The boat, sails and tools being less than 50 lbs. The shade tent would be heaviest.
    Anything out there?
    2019 Limited , Moved brake forward - Lamonster orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't know of any motorcycle trailer with 6' of interior length.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Thanks UtahPete - that is what I was afraid of. You have the potential of anything that large people thinking they can fill it. Then have 1000 lbs back there! I have been thinking of a Freedom trailer but can not find interior dimensions to know what it actually is. I am sure it should work for all of my other boats as long as it can be pulled without much weight in it.
    2019 Limited , Moved brake forward - Lamonster orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder465 View Post
    Thanks UtahPete - that is what I was afraid of. You have the potential of anything that large people thinking they can fill it. Then have 1000 lbs back there! I have been thinking of a Freedom trailer but can not find interior dimensions to know what it actually is. I am sure it should work for all of my other boats as long as it can be pulled without much weight in it.
    If you have a waterproof bag for the boat, you could strap it to the roof of one of those aluminum trailers pretty easily.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

I don't have any pics handy Spyder465, but here in Oz there are a few 'home made' or possibly more properly described as 'specially fabricated' trailers running around that carry fairly long things, usually down one side, with the other half of the trailer width then left for the rest of the gear, camping kit, chairs, etc; so don't necessarily limit yourself to only commercially available trailers!

These trailers have even been known to carry our Oz-tents, which are foldable quick set-up tents (30 seconds! No joke!) that pack down into a lightweight bundle weighing about 22kgs/50 pounds or so & measuring about 2.0m/6.5ft long by 0.5m/20 inches wide by 0.30m/12 inches tall - don't quote me on those dimensions, but off the top of my head they're somewhere close to that. . Just for comparison purposes, check the Oz-tent RV5 out here: http://www.oztent.us/products/tent-r...ge/oztent-rv-5 (I think the link should work for those of you in North America. ) - I suspect the RV5 is probably juusstt a tad larger in dimensions than what you want to carry, and it probably weighs in at close to the same weight.... So it can be done, and HAS been done, at least on this side of the World!

Over to you!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder465 View Post
    One of my hobbies is sailing remote control sail boats. My largest boat has a sail bag that would need the interior of the trailer to be 6' X 3'. I know this is huge for pulling behind a spyder, but the weight I would put in it would be minimal. Anyone know of anything this large or should I think about building my self? My thought would be to have 2 layers in the trailer. One I could have shade tent, cooler and chair and other level would hold boat, sails, and small tool box. The boat, sails and tools being less than 50 lbs. The shade tent would be heaviest.
    Anything out there?
    I would start with a trailer for a lightweight boat ..... build on that .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Harbor Freight has a Haul-Master trailer that is 96 inches long and weighs only 250 lbs in it's basic form. Room for modifications. The weight will fall within the Spyder's limit but I don't know how it would do towing such a LONG trailer.