Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

This is already a long thread, so I apologize if one, more or ALL the posters have made these same comments.
    Get a laser alignment. Probably not your issue because the later (2014 and up) Spyders generally ( I say generally, not all) were aligned at the factory much better than the earlier models.
    A properly aligned Spyder will track like it's on rails.
    Check your front tire pressures. Is the pressure much over 20 PSI ? If the pressure in the tires is too high, the contact patch is rounded off. The bike sort of sits up on the balls of it's feet and can be very twitchy.
    Be careful, the reverse is also true. If you lower the pressure too much, the bike becomes difficult to steer.
    Most people find between 16 and 20 PSI as the right pressure for the front tires. Also make sure the pressure in both tires is the same. They should be plus minus 1/4 psi from your set pressure, so that the tires won't be more than 1/2 PSI different from each other.
    As a new bike, I'm assuming there aren't any component failures such as tie rod ends and such.
    The RonBar is an excellent upgrade to the suspension, but you'll mostly feel that when making turns.
    And, make sure you're not gripping the handlebars too tightly.
    I hope this helps. Keep us posted so we know how you make out.

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default All Good Tips

Remembering back, I had the same problems as you are having. I read a lot of the Tips on this Forum. Just take it easy and in steps, that works for you.
    The 1000 miles is general time for most people to be in the comfortable zone with ryding your Spyder. Ryde Safe and enjoy some Spyder time.

It came to me and I know it will come to you.
    Good Luck on Your Mission. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Having many years of riding TWO wheelers is IMHO a detriment to riding a Spyder .... If you just drive it like a CAR you will do much better .... The Spyder feels much better if you ONLY " guide it " around. As others haver said it is going to take about 1000 mi. before you start to feel comfortable. Mike
    Guide it! That is my term, on the open road set the cruse control and rest your hands on the bars. For course corrections or turns only a slight pressure pushing forward on the outside(off side) hand grip makes it turn smoothly. I have a Ford Edge ST (Ford's "Sports Technology" chassis with the twin turbo V6) and it drives the same way, and is all over the road if you over steer it.

I did my upgrades in steps:

1. Federal Formoza AZ01 car tires on the front
    2. BajaRon's HD Sway Bar
    3. BajaRon's Shock Adjusters
    4. General Altimax RT43 out back.

Each step weeks apart with rides in between was an improvement in handling and overall stability.

I think that LED highlights up front our a great safety addition day or night. In day light I run high beams. I also put LED turn indicators on the rear with the resisters to prevent hyper flashing. I put on a third brake light that strobes of 6-7 seconds and then goes steady on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Also two+ year tires that just sat may that loss something, as tires like to be used! Lots of reading here on tires. Motorcycle vs Car! The Spyder does not have motorcycle rims, it has car like rims with J style bead area, just like 99.99 percent of automotive rims.
    2018 RT Ltd - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix
    2018 RT Ltd Chrome - Champagne Metallic - Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker) Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Vredestein and PPA Orb wheels on front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zumo XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer trike up North; and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM driver's backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with voltmeter, dash cam, foam grips - Magic Mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Hey GregQ,
    I didn't see where anyone mentioned any solutions to the cramped feeling. Did you dealer set the foot pegs and handlebars up for you? A lot don't. I believe all new Spyder come with the foot pegs in position 3. The pegs can be moved closer (2 positions) or further out (also 2 positions). If this needs to be adjusted you will need to purchase the appropriate brake rod. My dealer didn't even offer to check it. I'm 6'4" and I needed to move mine from position 3 to position 5 to get the comfort I wanted. As far as handlebars go, the stock bar worked for me so I can't say much other than there are a couple other options that will get your arm position correct. One last thing. I have added several mods to my Spyder (sway bar, taller windshield, backrest, etc.), but in my opinion the best mod I have done was add the Ultimate Floorboards from Can-Am Spyder Accessories. It allows me to stretch my legs all the way out, bring my feet more under my body, or even stand up while riding to alleviate cramps and sore muscles.

Anyway, just my 2 Cents
    Bill

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Greg, with all due respect, and I mean it, at 65 years old 5'10" tall and 242 lbs you should loose at least 50 lbs. That alone will solve a lot of issues.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Actually, I need to lose at least 75 pounds. But point taken and I agree.
    2019 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GregQ View Post
    I've been to Extreme Propulsion and talked to them about Lazer Alignment. Really good folks. Based on that conversation, my plan is to get the Sway Bar installed, see what difference it makes, then get Lazer Aligned and see what difference THAT makes....
    Personally and as a frugal thinker (wife calls it world class cheap) I would have the alignment checked first. Why? First, because BRP does not do the best job aligning Spyders on the assembly line. Second, many shops that do laser alignments will not charge for the service if the Spyder is within spec. Third, if the Spyder is out of spec and it is properly laser aligned it will make the biggest difference in handling because all three wheels will be aimed in the proper direction. Fourth, having Ron's sway bar installed after the alignment will have no impact on the alignment; i.e., it will not have to be realigned. The sway bar will have the most impact on cornering and in crosswinds and passing semis at interstate speeds. Installing the sway bar first won't help if the Spyder is out of alignment spec. You'll have a better performing Spyder sway bar-wise but the alignment will still be lousy.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good luck Greg, it's not an easy thing to do.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Piratezz View Post
    I tried many manouvres, and still not close on the limit, with the spyder, but don't backup at high speed (ask me how I know), that's terrifying....
    Nanny limits you to 9 mph in reverse! Avoid quick turns in reverse and you'll be quite OK!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

As a new Spyder rider I found this thread very valuable and interesting. I come from 35 years of 2 wheeling, but at 78 the big Goldwing was just too heavy for me. A garage tipover that I could not get back on the sidestand without help convinced me t was time for something different. I've had the 2021 RT for about 6 weeks now and have put 1,500 miles on the odometer. Maybe its just the new bike, or maybe its me, but I have not found ANY twitchiness at all in the handling. I've always kept tires a bit higher than what was recommended, so I did the same with the Spyder, keeping 22 in front and 30 in the rear and it rides just fine in my opinion. My "learning curve" was pretty short. I took a 40 mile ride home from the dealer (I live about 10 miles from the dealer) and by the time I pulled into my garage I felt comfortable enough to take my wife for a ride with me (she absolutely loves the Spyder and is SOOOO glad that I got rid of the Goldwing). As to wind blast, I have felt that the Spyder is much more resistant to wind blast from passing 18 wheelers, or when those big trucks come down the opposite side of the two lane road than was about any motorcycle that I ever owned.

At this stage I have very few negatives regarding the Spyder. I'm not impressed with the BRP Connect, at all. I would have preferred if the shift button was designed for more comfortable downshifting. I find it awkward to get my finger behind the button and so rarely downshift. I'm not a big fan of the loud clunk when I put it into Reverse. And while I am accepting of it, steering and feeling my body want to move to the opposite direction is not nearly as satisfying as leaning into a curve on a two wheeler. On the other hand, I have no concern over tipovers, and riding on gravelly or dirt roads is no longer a concern as it was on the Goldwing.

I almost feel guilty saying that I have not felt a need for either a sway bar nor for seeking a laser alignment of this new Spyder. Maybe I just don't know what I am missing but right now I'm happy as can be with the way this 3 wheeler has been. My only major mod was to add a passenger backrest (I have the RT, not the Limited). I am having risers installed next week and a phone mount attached so that I can use Waze on my Iphone rather than the Genius Maps in the BRP app. I probably should figure out how to pair the phone with the speakers in my helmet but haven't done that yet either.

And I am not impressed with the mpg that I am getting, even being pretty good at upshifting in the Eco mode as soon as the indicator tells me to do so. Getting 34 mpg with Premium grade gas is even less than what I had been getting with the big 6 cylinder Goldwing engine, and that was with regular gas. Since I'm listing negatives, I will end with wishing the electric adjustable windscreen was more adjustable. I like the few inches I can move it but wish it would have been adjustable a bit more down and a bit more up as well.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GregQ View Post
    I've been to Extreme Propulsion and talked to them about Lazer Alignment. Really good folks. Based on that conversation, my plan is to get the Sway Bar installed, see what difference it makes, then get Lazer Aligned and see what difference THAT makes.

Regarding tire pressure, after much tweaking, I've settled on 18.5 PSI* up front and 20 PSI rear. Again, all comments welcomed and encouraged.

I've read the "Do's and Don'ts" sticky 50 times. And as was stated by Bill W. and JayBros, loosening my handlebar grip made a LARGE positive difference.

As far as flaming goes, I spent a lot of time lurking and reading before I posted about "Party Pooper". It seemed most folks were just friendly and happy to help. So I knew there was a risk, but based on my observations, went ahead with the post. And so far, it turns out I was right. Look at the helpful replies I've gotten already. You folks are fabulous and should be proud to be on this forum. I know I'm proud of it.

My "Being passed on the expressway" refers to the wind blast that seems to adversely affect the Spyder more than any of my other large bikes.

I put the thousand miles on the Spyder since April this year. So I'm also hoping that continuing to ride will will settle some of my qualms.

Thank you all so very much. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!
    A sway bar upgrade will make a big difference in how much you get tossed around at freeway speeds.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

ok IM just like all the others in this group talking about 2 wheel to 3 wheel mind set. I have a 2012 RTL I picked some years ago, at the time I had a BMW1600gtl and a Vulcan 900. The BMW was for travel and the Vulcan was just about my 1/2 time daily ride to work 25 miles.
    My wife and I looked at the Spyder back in 2010 and have been watching them grow up thru the years.
    I think I was able to speed up my MIND SET a little fast due to working many OVER NIGHT shifts. Meaning I had to leave in the dark and most times drive home in the dark as well. This made me TRUST the bike more. And than even with in a month I was asked to drive down to see my bother (200 miles) making that trip all thru dark of night on roads I knew where to turn but not the road surface. Once again learning to trust the spyder,
    I have trust enough like most of the above memebers to set my cruise on 75 when possible, put one hand and my my knee, with other hand just the finger tips laying on ONE grip. Once you can relax (not in traffic) let go of the fingers and see the spyder travel more stable without any help from you.
    2012 , java

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Personally and as a frugal thinker (wife calls it world class cheap) I would have the alignment checked first. Why? First, because BRP does not do the best job aligning Spyders on the assembly line. Second, many shops that do laser alignments will not charge for the service if the Spyder is within spec. Third, if the Spyder is out of spec and it is properly laser aligned it will make the biggest difference in handling because all three wheels will be aimed in the proper direction. Fourth, having Ron's sway bar installed after the alignment will have no impact on the alignment; i.e., it will not have to be realigned. The sway bar will have the most impact on cornering and in crosswinds and passing semis at interstate speeds. Installing the sway bar first won't help if the Spyder is out of alignment spec. You'll have a better performing Spyder sway bar-wise but the alignment will still be lousy.
    JayBros, after reading all of the replies, I have decided to do exactly as you suggest. Alignment first, sway bar second.

Are there people with Spyders that are not members of this forum? How do they do that? You folks are essential to Spyder ownership and invaluable.

Thank you!!!
    2019 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

"Are there people with Spyders that are not members of this forum?"

Based on my personal observation here in NJ, I'd guess the percentage of Spyder owners that frequent this forum is quite low. Maybe 10% at best. I rode with a group of 9 other Spyders recently and I only know of 1 other member of SL. Either they are lurkers or they are unaware of the wealth of knowledge they're missing.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I follow a few Spyder groups on Facebook. Some of the questions and answers are not only bazar, but show that; 1. They didn't read the manual and 2. That they are not on this forum. So I provide a link to steer them this direction.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Don,t hold the bars tight,u r pushing againest the power steering

Spyder Garage

and on your new Spyder even though you may not be feeling the magic at this point.

Coming from two wheels also, back in 2008 (GS/SM5) it took me about 1500 miles to get used to the quirks. I am considered one of the "slow" learners. 175,000 miles and seven 's later, I am still enjoying the ride. Traded off my last two wheeler about two months ago. Now it's my two F3's. One belongs to the Lady Linda.

All of the advice above is good and right on. Let me add a helpful read that you may enjoy.
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Spyder-owners

Hang in there and you too will be enjoying it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

In the riding club I belong to in my area of 15 members 5 of us ride Spyders ,but despite telling them how good this sight is I am still the only member here.

"You can lead a horse to water ....etc.etc.etc." and sometimes salting the oats doesn't help.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bill W. View Post
    Wife was in the driveway one afternoon as I was putting my 1985 Venture away coming home from work. She told me that after all the years we had been together, she really wanted to start going on rides with me. I jokingly said "Well, we will have to buy a different motorcycle then." "OK" she said, and walked into the house. The rest, as they say, is history!
    Wanted a trike, no more holding up a bike at a red light sort of thing. A work friend had an F3, said you've got to try a Spyder! Went out and rode a couple, liked the RT best. Ended up getting a used 2014 RTL, and have proceeded to put over 30k miles on it, about a third of them 2-up.
    The hardest thing for me was to loosen my grip on the handlebars. It's going to wander a bit more than you're used to, just because you've got more rubber on the road, more contact with the bumps and cracks and all the other stuff that roads can throw your way. You have to unlearn the 2 wheeled-ness that you're comfortable with, and learn the ways of 3 wheeled-ness. We've all done it! Get out there and ride, ride, and ride some more! Have fun! Isn't that why you own a Spyder??
    If you haven't had that Spyder " LAZER " ... aligned this may be the wandering feeling .... I have had My 14 RT over 100 MPH and could actually Remove all hand- to- grip guidance. .... And it will track straight ..... good luck .... Mike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    X's 10 ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

My Spyder dealer, where I bought the Spyder, did the laser alignment, with no extra cost for me, The dealer were I bought the spyder is also the importer for the whole Benelux,( I am from the Netherlands) and every spyder/ ryker he sells from his dealership, gets this alignment, He is a Championship racer, and won a few titles in his day, He thinks it's important to ryde with confidence, not all dealers are stealers.

even when I testdrove a spyder, he went along, and was giving me pointers, I also came of a two wheeler (dirtbikes/ and cruisers) ofcourse it helps that he is a good friend of my father, hahahaha
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    In the riding club I belong to in my area of 15 members 5 of us ride Spyders ,but despite telling them how good this sight is I am still the only member here.

"You can lead a horse to water ....etc.etc.etc." and sometimes salting the oats doesn't help.

~~~I totally agree with you regarding the quality of this site I've only been on the internet a little better than 20 years. In that time I have frequented quite a few forums for whatever motorcycle or scooter (including a few for sidecars) I was riding Some were great, others mediocre. The quality of the members here is high The mods aren't too shabby either=:-)

As to the OP and his current Can Am problems, I'm not going to pile on. He received plenty of good advice. I will say this though (perhaps I'm contradicting myself?=:-) The two Can Am on road three wheelers I bought new from the same dealer (CycleZone Topeka Kansas), they both (2020 Ryker Rally/2021 Spyder RT Limited) were aligned properly. Both, and I mean this w/o exaggeration, feel like riding on rails. New fresh rubber, proper alignment on a trike, is tantamount to safe riding

In regards to tires, I always felt the price you pay for tires to be a good investment in your predictable outcome of how your machine will ride and handle. A good lesson I learned when I started my motorcycle roadracing career back in 1995 was my introduction to using race rubber on the race track. My first day in roadracing school I rode my street bike to the race track. It had potential to become a race bike yet on that first day I rode it on the racetrack for the track portion of the roadracing school, I attended, I left my DOT street tires on, mainly because I didn't have a lot of time to swap tires for race rubber. Needless to say, going into the turns at speed using DOT street tires instead of softer compound race rubber, it felt like riding on marbles going in to the turns. What a revelation the first time I got on the track and had race compound tires on my bike The difference was night and day yet the same can be said for using rain tires on the track in wet weather. They too are essential if you want to ride at 10 tenths in the wet

The point I'm trying to make in the aforementioned paragraph, and how it relates to riding a three wheeled Can Am on road vehicle like the Ryker or the Spyder series, its essential to have a fresh set of rubber on your rims. Bad tires will give you a bad ride There's no economy there, in fact, iffy tires are a liability I've been in a fortunate position this past week as I just took possession of a new 2021 Can Am Spyder RT Limited I haven't checked the DOT date on the tires but I have an idea they were built within the last 15 months. This RT I just purchased goes down the road straight like its on rails I did check tire pressure all around They (the selling dealer) set the air pressures according to the manufacturer's spec. 20 PSI in the fronts, 28 in the rear, that's for the stock Kenda tires and although many here gripe and moan about the stock Kenda's, for the string straight (mostly) roads I ride here in north central Fla., they work just fine

That's it, rant off But just to recap, tires are cheap (read: not costly) Just remember, when going down the highway or any road, the only thing keeping you afloat is your tires and the amount of air pressure keeping them round

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    I may not agree with what you say...
    but if you say it with fewer words I'll try harder...
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

I think what you are feeling is completely normal for a new owner. I owned my 2019 F3 Limited for over two years and loved it - - but . . being 6'2" and 230 lbs I never could get comfortable on it, even using an Airhawk cushion. After two hours in the saddle my hip joints were hurting so bad I had to get off. Consequently I sold the Spyder and went back to two wheels, which in my case was quite a decision because I'm 74 years old with health issues. Bought a new Indian Chieftain and couldn't be happier. The Spyder was a great ride and I never had any issues what so ever, but they're not for everyone.
    2019 F3 Limited
    2019 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    IMO the most important thing is be open minded and recognize that being an experienced two wheel rider does not make you an experienced three wheel rider. Recognize and accept the fact the Spyder is different, especially in cornering. Look for those differences and then figure out how to deal with them. As far as buffeting let your body be buffeted and stay loose on the Spyder. The Spyder will track straight as long as you don't let your body movements get transferred to it.

To a great extent you ride a two wheeler but you drive a Spyder, especially in corners.
    Excellent advise. Well said!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...