Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

Hi, Greg. Been there. Got my F3L for the same reason. Hated it, but hated not riding even more. Eventually we came to an agreement. I would stop trying to ride it like a motorcycle and it would stop trying to put me in the ditch. It took me over a year before I stopped hating it for what it was not and started appreciating it for what it is. I enjoy riding it now, though not near as much as I did two wheels. The Baja Ron sway bar made a huge difference in handling for me, and perhaps a custom seat would make you feel less cramped. Anyway, I can't walk all that well, but with the Spyder I can still ride.
    Thunder's just the noise. Lightning does the work.

Spyder Garage

Riding a Spyder was easy for me as mentally I looked at it as my summertime snowmobile, and you do get the best handling when move your body weight around the cockpit. I found the stock seat on my F3L wanted to keep me stuck in the center of the seat, so when I had Lamm rebuild my seat I had him open it up so I could move my arse around the cockpit easier.
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoSpyder View Post
    Riding a Spyder was easy for me as mentally I looked at it as my summertime snowmobile, and you do get the best handling when move your body weight around the cockpit. I found the stock seat on my F3L wanted to keep me stuck in the center of the seat, so when I had Lamm rebuild my seat I had him open it up so I could move my arse around the cockpit easier.
    Ditto. Those of us familiar with riding a snowmobile take to the Spyder almost instantly. The body influence is quite similar. We actually lean slightly forward and into the corner (think leaning towards the inside front tire slightly) and it goes like telepathy. If you just sit there the centrifugal force will pull your weight to the outside, which is un-nerving. So it works well to lean your upper body slightly forward and into the corner. Very contrary to a 2-wheel rider's intuition.

Chicago Spyder - love your snowmobile photo from the Firesteel Bridge on the Bill Nichols trail there between Mass City and Twin Lakes!

2021 RT Limited - Deep Marsala Red – 4,200 miles

2013 ST-S SE-5 - Circuit Yellow – 56,000 miles

2015 F3-S SM-6
    - Can-Am Red Solid Gloss – 2,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #659
    - Full Moon – 34,000 miles - SOLD

2008 GS SM-5 Premier Edition #006
    - Full Moon – 34,800 miles - SOLD

Spyder Garage

For me, dumping the front Kendas made a MUCH bigger difference than a laser alignment and sway bar, which I had done before I got the new Kuhmos. Completely different machine -- more composed, less head wagging, MUCH better cornering.

Dump the Kendas NOW. Any other brand tire will be a marked improvement.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledmaster View Post
    Ditto. Those of us familiar with riding a snowmobile take to the Spyder almost instantly. The body influence is quite similar. We actually lean slightly forward and into the corner (think leaning towards the inside front tire slightly) and it goes like telepathy. If you just sit there the centrifugal force will pull your weight to the outside, which is un-nerving. So it works well to lean your upper body slightly forward and into the corner. Very contrary to a 2-wheel rider's intuition.

Chicago Spyder - love your snowmobile photo from the Firesteel Bridge on the Bill Nichols trail there between Mass City and Twin Lakes!
    I have had the same reaction with my Ryker. Absolutely no issues with having to learn to ride it. Probably the same reason as you, I have been riding sleds for 53 seasons, with over 200,000 miles under my belt...It just feels like a natural transistion...Im so impressed with this 600 motor I might just go buy a new Ski-Doo with a 600 ace...I remember crossing those Firesteel bridges for the first time waaay back in 1983 on a bagger trip from Eagle River,Wi to Copper Harbor,Mi...Semi-Retired transplant from Elmhurst,il...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    IMO the most important thing is be open minded and recognize that being an experienced two wheel rider does not make you an experienced three wheel rider. Recognize and accept the fact the Spyder is different, especially in cornering. Look for those differences and then figure out how to deal with them. As far as buffeting let your body be buffeted and stay loose on the Spyder. The Spyder will track straight as long as you don't let your body movements get transferred to it.

To a great extent you ride a two wheeler but you drive a Spyder, especially in corners.
    Love that you said be open minded. That made all the difference for me. At about 1500 miles I started to realize what the Spyder was and was not. It completely changed the way I ride and how I felt about it. For me I was able to let go of the motorcycle mentality I was holding on to. This is hard to explain but I think most will understand. For me I honestly feel the throttle is the only connection I shared with a motorcycle. I felt more connected to a motorcycle. It was an extension of me when I moved. Its hard to put in words. The way I sit on my RTL, corner, shift, break, and just generally feel are all different and that is very OK with me. I loved two wheels but I love this just as much just in a different way. Its weird but I enjoy the openness more and I am more open to what's around me because I am giving less thought into to the physical ride IMO.
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)