Spyder Garage

Default Headlight adjustment procedures: owners manual is backward

The identification of vertical and horizontal headlight aim adjusters in the 2019 and 2020 Ryker owners manuals are reversed. The upper outside (nearest the tire) adjustment stem (#1 in the owners manual) is actually for vertical adjustment. The lower inside (nearest the engine) adjustment stem (#2 in the owners manual) is for horizontal adjustment. Vertical adjustment is easily accessible after removing the side panel. Horizontal adjustment requires removing the whole headlight assembly for access. Fortunately. vertical aim is the most likely to need adjustment (such as following bulb change). Turning the adjuster in (clockwise) lowers point of aim turning it out (counter clockwise) raises point of aim.

I discovered this following exchanging my halogen bulbs for LED. I was getting flashed (a lot) on low beam and high beam only illuminated the tops of trees. I tried to follow the instructions in the owners manual with no success. I finally removed the whole assembly, removed the bulb, and felt the movement of the reflector while turning the adjusters in and out.

I hope this helps someone make this a ten minute job rather than the hour it took me to figure out the problem.
    Last edited by Tslepebull; 08-06-2021 at 12:55 PM. Reason: clarity
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Good info, thanks for sharing.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

I know this was from a year ago, but thanks for this. I've been very nervous riding at night since I bought this Ryker, even after putting LED headlights in, because they are just aimed too dang low. I can't see anything on a road without streetlights unless I put the high beam on, and that doesn't work for long due to traffic. I *finally* got my act together today and pulled the panels after reading the manual. I was shaking my head in frustration/amazement after seeing where the supposed vertical adjustment screws were. I was thinking I'd have to look up how to remove the frunk to get at them. I wasn't planning on partial disassembly to aim the stupid headlights. The manual talks about a screwdriver that came with the vehicle (???) and says you need to aim them at a wall 10m away. Right. My driveway slopes down, so that technique is out the window. I can't believe there haven't been more people on the forum needing to adjust the headlights. Thanks again.
    -2021 Ryker 900