Spyder Garage

Default 15A power for portable air compressor - how to get on 2014RTL

Are there battery post taps available under the seat as mentioned in some "old" posts I was reading?
    Not sure that applied to 2014RTL. I need 15A for tire inflator power.
    I carry one of those little portable car starters with me too, and that may be easier than trying to install a "clean" 15A run from the battery, just to power a tire inflator.
    I know others have addressed this issue with their Spyders, so any info/ideas/opinions appreciated. Thanks
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't know of any 15amp power outlet on the 2014 RT. I've taken that power directly off the battery in the past, but I'm thinking of adding another fuse box off the battery so it's easier to create additional 15a and 20a circuits for things like this, to use a jump starter, power aftermarket horns, etc.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    Are there battery post taps available under the seat as mentioned in some "old" posts I was reading?
    Not sure that applied to 2014RTL. I need 15A for tire inflator power.
    I carry one of those little portable car starters with me too, and that may be easier than trying to install a "clean" 15A run from the battery, just to power a tire inflator.
    I know others have addressed this issue with their Spyders, so any info/ideas/opinions appreciated. Thanks
    If you have a direct wired SAE plug for your battery maintainer in your front trunk, it works GREAT for a 15A direct connection for any non key operated accessory...larryd

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    If you have a direct wired SAE plug for your battery maintainer in your front trunk, it works GREAT for a 15A direct connection for any non key operated accessory...larryd
    Most of these battery maintainer SAE plugs are rated at 7.5amps or less. Maintainers (as opposed to chargers) only put out 2amps or less.

This is a typical 'battery tender' cord. It is 18AWG which is NOT safe to use for 15amps load https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

larryd is spot on. Run a battery tender line directly off the battery with an inline 15 amp fuse and you're done. Easy pleasey and simple. You can run many different 12v accessories off that line.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    larryd is spot on. Run a battery tender line directly off the battery with an inline 15 amp fuse and you're done. Easy pleasey and simple. You can run many different 12v accessories off that line.
    That's fine if the wire gauge is sufficient to handle 20 amps. They are not ALL of them that robust. You want 12 AWG minimum

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08R94D2LX...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    That's fine if the wire gauge is sufficient to handle 20 amps. They are not ALL of them that robust. You want 12 AWG minimum

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08R94D2LX...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
    So...........if, On that website, I get the one with the female "cigarette lighter" end on it, any of my tire inflators and any other things with the male end of that type cord should function OK. Correct? For my inflators, making sure I install it with a 15A fuse of course.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    So...........if, On that website, I get the one with the female "cigarette lighter" end on it, any of my tire inflators and any other things with the male end of that type cord should function OK. Correct? For my inflators, making sure I install it with a 15A fuse of course.
    Ray, I was using that example to demonstrate how two identical sae connectors could have very different capabilities in terms of amperage capacity. I wasn't sure how you wanted to be able to connect your inflator. Does it have a cigarette lighter plug then? Where do you want to locate the outlet; in the frunk or elsewhere?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's one of adequate wire size https://www.amazon.com/YCIND-Termina...s%2C295&sr=8-3

By the way, ring terminals are different sizes also. You may end up having to change out ring terminals for the right size.

If it was me, I'd get this sae cord for in the frunk and change the cigarette lighter plug on the air compressor over to an sae.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's not that complicated. However, if you are like me I have to see things with my hands to make sure everything connects as it should. A vast inventory lays waiting in/on the internet and you can often save $$ buying online, however, when items arrive at your home there can be mismatches and some items end up becoming useless. Most of these connectors are inexpensive but if they don't fit together they're a waste of money. I've found that local stores like Napa, Auto Zone, Cycle Gear, and so on, all have many of these 12v connectors/wirings in stock which makes for fewer mistakes and easier assembly. By the way, it also makes for returns much easier and quicker. We're lucky that our 1330 spyders have alternators. I can operate two pairs of heated jackets, charge two Sena headsets and a cell phone all at the same time while towing a trailer. It's just getting the SAE, USB, cigarette plugin connectors, and 4-way plugins all working together all at the same time.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Ray, I was using that example to demonstrate how two identical sae connectors could have very different capabilities in terms of amperage capacity. I wasn't sure how you wanted to be able to connect your inflator. Does it have a cigarette lighter plug then? Where do you want to locate the outlet; in the frunk or elsewhere?
    Pete, thanks to you and others for comments. I probably acted a little more "novice" with my discussion than needed. As I see it for me, I want 12AWG wire (fused inline (positive side - for 15A) and terminating in the female end of any length cord. Agree it needs quality connectors at the battery end also. For me, I may just coil up enough wire to get out of the frunk comfortably and plug my inflator in on the ground. Simple enough for me to do and use. OR, I may just stay with using my "emergency battery power unit" to run the inflator when needed and not even mess with the direct connection to the Spyder battery, if that capability is all I'm looking for (afterall I did pay a pretty price for the emergency battery pack
    Thanks again to all for responses.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

How large is this inflator that requires 15 amps? Mine has run on a 5 amp fuse many times without blowing the fuse.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

both of the units I have -
    1 is a "SLIME" inflator about 6x6x2 (est) hand held unit.
    1 is a "TALON" inflator slightly smaller in size.
    The Slime unit requires 15A power.
    The Talon unit requires 10A power.
    Before I realized THAT fuse requirement, I went thru a few 5A fuses in position 7 of the fuse box.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.