Spyder Garage

Default Difficulty conversing with vendors and factory reps questions

I've noticed over the past few years, it has become increasingly difficult to carry on a conversation with vendors and factory representatives on the phone. I realize their time is valuable and that they know their products well, but if they would just listen a little rather than talk as if they can read your mind, most conversations would probably take less time. I try to be patient with them but more often than not, they start talking about things I do not need to know. They typically do this without letting me fully express the reason/s I called in the first place and make it very difficult to get a word in edgewise. Then we sort of have to start all over with me again trying to say what it is I need to say to get the information I need.

Does anyone else run into this, or is it just me?

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

I usually try to use e-mail communications. But sadly, some of ours do not even answer those communications either timely or at all. It usually costs them a loss of business in my case.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    I've noticed over the past few years, it has become increasingly difficult to carry on a conversation with vendors and factory representatives on the phone. I realize their time is valuable and that they know their products well, but if they would just listen a little rather than talk as if they can read your mind, most conversations would probably take less time. I try to be patient with them but more often than not, they start talking about things I do not need to know. They typically do this without letting me fully express the reason/s I called in the first place and make it very difficult to get a word in edgewise. Then we sort of have to start all over with me again trying to say what it is I need to say to get the information I need.

It all depends on the company. No need to think it's personal.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

My career before retiring included managing remote tech support staff. Many 'support reps' you reach on the 1st call are NOT 'experts' and have limited knowledge other than the Decision Tree they've been given the ask questions and branch to the answer you give them. If time permits you're better off with email to capture the history of the events. If you must call, just be happy that they tell you their name is 'Sam' or Linda'!
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

This^ I did tech support for about a year and a half before I started teaching. We had no script or decision tree to go by, just hard-earned knowledge. But, we had no idea of the skills on the other end of the phone. We eventually restricted TS from even asking for DVM readings unless it was an engineer on the other end that we had trained. It was felt too dangerous to have someone accessing potentially live circuits (often kV range). This was beyond legal concerns as we had experienced some really scary things that had been tried. There is usually a "triage" process that goes through Customer Service Reps that only know who to pass the problems on to and check/start billing process, then the Tech Support first level followed by Tech Support expert level followed by Engineering/R&D staff. Engineering and R&D were not paid by the customer service group, so we tried to avoid involving them unless specifically demanded or we determined that it went to the design/engineering of the device. 95% of our service calls could be handled fully by first level tech support with remote diagnostics and access to the customer's system. Only about 2% required and in-person visit by one of our Field Service Engineers.

How does this equate to BRP's customer support? Given the number of units I would imagine their first level is 100% from scripts/decision trees with a little personal experience volunteered. Getting to the next level should get you to a truly knowledgeable person with either experience or thorough training. Perhaps one that has advanced up over time gaining more experience. If you want to talk to engineering/R&D/product development staff I suspect you need to be or be referred by a major dealer.

Example: BRP's software is obviously pretty lame, but I don't expect to talk to a programmer when they could be fixing the code.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    It all depends on the company. No need to think it's personal.
    I wasn't taking it personal; just making an observation.

Spyder Garage

I think a few have missed the main point of my post. It's not really about vendors and reps trying to share too much detailed information or trying to sound smart; it's about them not listening before they share any information. Regardless of the technical, complicated or simple nature of the business or product, they need to listen to the customer first.

Spyder Garage

I think a few have missed the main point of my post. It's not really about vendors and reps trying to share too much detailed information or trying to sound smart; it's about them not listening before they share any information. Regardless of the technical, complicated or simple nature of the business or product, they need to listen to the customer first.
    Your point is well taken and valid. This is a rut that we can all fall into. This last year+ has been a completely new experience for all of the vendors. The combination of running behind, increasing prices, very heavy demand, Covid induced supply shortages on product and materials, and employees out for extended lengths of time with Covid, has created very unusual pressures. It is not at all uncommon for a customer to call with an issue that the vendor has heard many times before. With all that the vendor has on their plate for that day, the urge is to short-cut the process and move right to the solution. It's usually about mid sentence that I realize how rude and disrespectful I am being.

To the customer, this may be a 'One-Off', never before experienced, unexplainable issue. In which they have already invested time, and some frustration, to bring the pertinent facts to the vendor. Adding to this negative experience is not my intention. But it doesn't change the facts or the customer's feeling of offence because of my apparent indifference. Neither of us are looking at the other side of the coin. This is not the customer's fault. Because they really have no way to see that side. But the vendor knows better and simply needs to be mindful that the entire conversation is important. Not necessarily to clarify the problem or arrive at a solution. But there is also a 3rd, very important, component. This being the seller/customer relationship. Which may, in the end, be the most important component of all.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Your point is well taken and valid. This is a rut that we can all fall into. This last year+ has been a completely new experience for all of the vendors. The combination of running behind, increasing prices, very heavy demand, Covid induced supply shortages on product and materials, and employees out for extended lengths of time with Covid, has created very unusual pressures. It is not at all uncommon for a customer to call with an issue that the vendor has heard many times before. With all that the vendor has on their plate for that day, the urge is to short-cut the process and move right to the solution. It's usually about mid sentence that I realize how rude and disrespectful I am being.

To the customer, this may be a 'One-Off', never before experienced, unexplainable issue. In which they have already invested time, and some frustration, to bring the pertinent facts to the vendor. Adding to this negative experience is not my intention. But it doesn't change the facts or the customer's feeling of offence because of my apparent indifference. Neither of us are looking at the other side of the coin. This is not the customer's fault. Because they really have no way to see that side. But the vendor knows better and simply needs to be mindful that the entire conversation is important. Not necessarily to clarify the problem or arrive at a solution. But there is also a 3rd, very important, component. This being the seller/customer relationship. Which may, in the end, be the most important component of all.

Sure wish all the people on the other end of the line had your insight and helpfulness. Doesn't matter if it's dealing with Spyders, the cable company or banks..... Thanks Ron ..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Agree.