Spyder Garage

Default Jake sold his Ryker Rally

Had a lot of fun with my 2020 Ryker Rally. Never rode her much, only 4300 miles, due mainly to the boat anchor I live and work on, the family farm. Anyways, I traded her in on this gun ship-

I didn’t stray too far from the family

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Today your love, Tomorrow the world
    2020 Rally , Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Congrats.Enjoy the new ride.

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Congrats, looks great. Enjoy.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Congratulations! Wishing you miles of smiles!
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

That one is a real looker.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Love that color!

Congrats on the new ride.

Spyder Garage

David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Markubis View Post
    Love that color!

Congrats on the new ride.

~~~I swear the paint changes color depending on light conditions. I first saw it at night. Looked like black and white. Next day I the sun it looked silver. This pic it looks gray. Am riding it now and stopped, got off. Looks white to me again. I’m thinking of naming her the chameleon

Thanks everyone for all the well wishes!

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shakin_jake View Post
    ~~~I swear the paint changes color depending on light conditions. I first saw it at night. Looked like black and white. Next day I the sun it looked silver. This pic it looks gray. Am riding it now and stopped, got off. Looks white to me again. I’m thinking of naming her the chameleon

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    It does look like a Jackson's Chameleon (the ones with three horns). Maybe you could name it Jackson.
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

On the new Spyder RTL, Captain Jake!! The photo looks like battle ship gray; Wow nice, I wish you and Mrs. Jake smooth sailing on the new ship.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Anybody got a production count for the couple of years the Rally was in production? Might be rare lil birds ...

PS - for anyone might not have heard, rumor has it the model's been discontinued, and the last one ever has left the building ...
    Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

u got more power now, USE IT!! hahaha
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    u got more power now, USE IT!! hahaha

~~~I’m still in break in mode. According to the owners manual (I read these cover to cover) it’s advised to not use full throttle during the first 600 miles, which I’m still under so, as much as I’d like to wick it up, I’m going to follow the manufacturer’s recommendation and not ride it like I stole it but yeah, I can tell this 1330 cc triple cylinder motor has way more balls than the 900 cc Ryker Rally I had, and Thingfish was no slouch

It’s probably a good thing I’m tapped out after buying this sled, I’m having fantasies wondering what she’d feel like with a stage 2 flash, omitted Catholic converter, freer flowing pipe

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    We must respect the other fellow’s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children are smart - HL Mencken
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Although Eco mode isn’t too shabby for this interstate/back roads touring driver…. when I finally took it out of Eco mode I was surprised at how quick it is.
    BTW.. my dealer told me to pay VERY close attention to the braking for the first 900 miles. He said if it pulls left or right when you get on the brakes pretty hard… say coming up to the final stop at the stop sign but still rolling… that the rotors will need to be replaced.
    He said if you bring it in BEFORE 900 miles they will be replaced free… but afterwards they are considered a “wear” item and its your nickel to replace them (about $300) He specifically told me the odometer cannot have 900.10 or more miles when it is driven onto his lot. He said some of the 2021 RTL’s have the problem…others don’t. Mine did not.. still brakes straight and true with a smooth ride at 3167 miles.
    I am still surprised at how much I like this thing as I was so afraid to give up my Gold Wing trike. Glad I waited for the design change that began with the 2020 RTL.
    Wishing you miles of smiles!
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
    Although Eco mode isn’t too shabby for this interstate/back roads touring driver…. when I finally took it out of Eco mode I was surprised at how quick it is.
    BTW.. my dealer told me to pay VERY close attention to the braking for the first 900 miles. He said if it pulls left or right when you get on the brakes pretty hard… say coming up to the final stop at the stop sign but still rolling… that the rotors will need to be replaced.
    He said if you bring it in BEFORE 900 miles they will be replaced free… but afterwards they are considered a “wear” item and its your nickel to replace them (about $300) He specifically told me the odometer cannot have 900.10 or more miles when it is driven onto his lot. He said some of the 2021 RTL’s have the problem…others don’t. Mine did not.. still brakes straight and true with a smooth ride at 3167 miles.
    I am still surprised at how much I like this thing as I was so afraid to give up my Gold Wing trike. Glad I waited for the design change that began with the 2020 RTL.
    Wishing you miles of smiles!

~~~are you talking about eco mode on the Ryker or the Spyder RT? I never ran my Ryker in eco mode. IIRC besides eco mode there is sport mode and Rally mode. There may be another mode, I don’t recall. That said I left it in one mode all of the time (Ryker) & I don’t remember which mode it was but it would accelerate like a bat out of hell

This RT is new to me and as far as I can tell, there is only two modes. Either it’s in eco mode or it isn’t. I’ve read what others have said about using the eco mode in the RT, in regards to a green arrow when illuminated, that’s when you’re supposed to upshift. Except on my digital display panel that arrow is always amber colored. When I initially tried using eco mode on the RT I saw the amber arrow and kept accelerating waiting to see the arrow change from amber to green yet it never changed so the next time I tried to follow the shift sequence (suggested) in order to get the best MPG, I was astonished how low of an RPM the engine was in when the shift arrow appeared. The arrow is coming on @ 2000 and 2200 RPM’s. All the banter I read here is you want to shift in the high 3K RPM range, some shifting as late as 4200 + RPM’s

Anyways, my first fuel mileage recording will be dismal considering the dealer delivered the RT to me with a full tank of fuel and I’ve only gone 80 miles so far and have used half a tank of fuel, if the fuel gauge is to be believed. Admittedly, my riding style isn’t conducive to great MPG. I was averaging 22-25 MPG with my Ryker, although the time I rode the Ryker to Key Largo and kept the throttle below 70 MPH I got in the high thirties MPG. That was riding 41 late at night through the Everglades

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Congratulations, Love the color. I bet much more comfortable than the Ryker, especially on longer rides.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

~~~are you talking about eco mode on the Ryker or the Spyder RT? I never ran my Ryker in eco mode. IIRC besides eco mode there is sport mode and Rally mode. There may be another mode, I don’t recall. That said I left it in one mode all of the time (Ryker) & I don’t remember which mode it was but it would accelerate like a bat out of hell

This RT is new to me and as far as I can tell, there is only two modes. Either it’s in eco mode or it isn’t. I’ve read what others have said about using the eco mode in the RT, in regards to a green arrow when illuminated, that’s when you’re supposed to upshift. Except on my digital display panel that arrow is always amber colored. When I initially tried using eco mode on the RT I saw the amber arrow and kept accelerating waiting to see the arrow change from amber to green yet it never changed so the next time I tried to follow the shift sequence (suggested) in order to get the best MPG, I was astonished how low of an RPM the engine was in when the shift arrow appeared. The arrow is coming on @ 2000 and 2200 RPM’s. All the banter I read here is you want to shift in the high 3K RPM range, some shifting as late as 4200 + RPM’s

Anyways, my first fuel mileage recording will be dismal considering the dealer delivered the RT to me with a full tank of fuel and I’ve only gone 80 miles so far and have used half a tank of fuel, if the fuel gauge is to be believed. Admittedly, my riding style isn’t conducive to great MPG. I was averaging 22-25 MPG with my Ryker, although the time I rode the Ryker to Key Largo and kept the throttle below 70 MPH I got in the high thirties MPG. That was riding 41 late at night through the Everglades

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    The RTL… its what I drive. My first tank of gas (dealer provided)… I got 40mpg in Eco mode as I wasn’t sure about what the other mode would do. Dealer said he had access to almost pure gasoline.
    I was shocked!
    Best my Gold Wing trike ever got was 32.
    My mpg has consistently been 36-38mpg using 93 octane in Eco mode on this fella.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerRick View Post
    Congratulations, Love the color. I bet much more comfortable than the Ryker, especially on longer rides.

~~~Thanks Rick! This color BTW is called Chalk. I have to admit, I felt pretty comfortable on the one long ride I did last spring when I had 3 days ina row off and rode from my homestead in north central Fla. to my old stomping grounds in the Fla.Keys, yet Key Largo (mm106 ) was the furthest south I was able to get in that time frame. That said, yeah, if my goal was to iron butt it I could/would make it all the way to Key West but I was more interested in a leisurely ride. Looking back on that ride I was uncomfortable due to no wind screen and I also could have used some type of cruise control. I almost rode my 92’ BMW R100GSPD instead of the Ryker as it has a decent wind screen compared to no wind screen on my Ryker. All that said, where I was most comfortable was the seat. I swear the solo seat on the Rally Ryker is probably the most comfortable solo saddle on a stock motorcycle I ever rode. The ergonomics were perfect, including leg and hand/arm positioning. Of course all of this is my personal experience. Not all Ryker Rally riders find the stock ergonomics as wonderful as I had

More to your point, the Spyder RT Limited should be a more comfortable ride what with a stock electric adjustable wind screen, electronic cruise control to name a few desirable LD equipment, as well as the 7 gallon fuel tank which enables a lengthier time in the saddle though not everyone will want to ride w/o stopping what 7 onboard gallons of fuel brings

This is probably good as any time to bring up why I traded the Ryker in on the Spyder RT, as well as why I didn’t. Some might believe that the Spyder is the better trike. No its not. IMO, both are totally different machines and very good ones at that. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the Ryker Rally. The only problem I ever had with out was the OEM brake return spring stretched past its effective life, about a month before I did the trade. I acquired the OEM replacement spring however, which solved that issue. It’s a 25 dollar part BTW

I’ve been wanting a Spyder ever since they came out, especially one with the stock equipment this one has which includes upgrades this model needed through the years like the power steering assist. The first Spyder I ever test rode back in 2010 (I forget the exact model name) sorely lacked power steering assist and I definitely didn’t want any part of that trike. The test ride I did at the Can Am dealer at the time in St. Augustine totally wore me out muscling it around the urban streets I rode but a few years later BRP finally addressed the power steering assist need and included it in newer models. Back in 2003 I bought a new Ural Tourist and she was a beast to ride. Maybe a work out is a better descriptor. Riding in a straight line the tourist was easy to steer but riding on winding twisty roads and you have a work out , especially off road where I used to like to ride my Tourist

Anyways, it was time for me to buy a Spyder RT though I will miss the fun I had riding my Ryker Rally. They are both unique machines

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

I am a newbie but the Spyder looks very nice!

Spyder Garage

Jake is a lucky man.. congrats, you deserve it.

Spyder Garage

Love the colour, and yeah it's a step up, from a ryker, but the ryker is more fun on loose ground, while the spyder does Not like loose ground like gravel or so...
    Enjoy this mighty machine, and did I already say, that i like the colour....
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Yes. The colors do seem to change. I like that effect.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red