Spyder Garage

Default A saddle bag, trunk lid and Tupperware saga

I have a 2014 Spyder RT Limited. I am not much of a mechanic but have an issue and a problem. I am currently in Richmond VA getting ready for a Blue Ridge Parkway adventure. Unfortunately all the service departments locally are booked up for weeks to come and will not see me in the next two days though that is all I have before my trip.

My left saddlebag simply would not open (and the right ways needed coaxing). I found a video online that explained how to adjust the release cables and of course needed to remove the rear Tupperware. I found in the owners manual how to remove a panel under the seat to release the mechanism manually so I could get to the points I needed to remove the Tupperware.

I was successful in adjusting both cables to react in a sprightly manner and all seemed good. Had some issues replacing the Tupperware because of the front prongs and difficulty aligning them. First time I've tried removing any panels at all and literally was done under a shade tree because that is the situation I was dealt.

Relieved to finish up the job I was disheartened to discover that for some reason the trunk lid would now suddenly not latch. I assume this is a minute misalignment of the panel replacement but I cannot figure out how to micro adjust it make it work. If I slam it real hard it will latch and unlatch. I expect no one can teach me in an email the fine art of re-alignment, it must take time and a good feel to get it right.

So questions:

Do I risk damage to slam it repeatedly to get it to latch or might it eventually find its own alignment and seat itself over time?

If I cannot or should not slam it shut should I just tie it down (I think I have figured out a bungee cord fix) and ride OK until I can get it to a dealer in Florida (my destination) and wait until a service slot opens up to have a professional deal with it? And are there any issues with that beside the annoying trunk open notification that will be on all the time?

Any words pf advice appreciated.

Thanks
    Walter
    ATWALT*
    2014 RTS - SE6 Cognac (named Josephine).
    FOBO, ShowChrome top rack
    Spyder Cuff, Highway Pegs, LidLox, Passenger Drink Holder from LaMonster

Recently returned to Florida, looking for new roads...

Former: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Edition (#104)
    2016 Piaggio MP3 500 ABS/ASR
    2006 Suzuki Burgman 400

*All Three Wheels Alla Lovin' Time

Spyder Garage

It is adjustable and there have been many posts on this site about doing so along with YouTube videos. Have a safe trip.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have the same Spyder as you .... I have adjusted my side bag cables and agree it's a job, two of the mounting tabs had broken off from STRESS after 61,000 + miles ...... My rear trunk always needs a hard RAP to get it to latch .... un-latching has never been a problem. So after 7 years of hard Raps' ... it hasn't broken ... I wouldn't worry about it .... ride happy ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When you put the rear plastic back on around the release handles, make sure the plastic is clipped in and flush around the latch mechanism. It can stick up and prevent the lid from closing. I kinda have to slam the trunk lid on my 2014 too. No issues from slamming.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Joel is exactly right, and there are a number of other SL owners who have reported problems with the trunk lid not latching. When you reinstall the rear panel, if properly done, the four Torx bolts that go across the top of the panel simply anchor the panel in place; it should sit completely flush on the top of the trunk "box" and the bolts should not be forcing the panel down onto the top of the "box."
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Hopefully this will get you on your way. If you look close at that wrap around trunk piece you will see a very tiny tab right in the middle. That has to be located under the latch or either the latch sits too low or the plastic panel is to high or something interfers with the closing. Just loosen the panel mounting screws so you can move it around until you can get that tab under the latch. That should solve your problem. Enjoy your trip.
    The information Utah Pete gives in #3 is a fuller explanation of the above as well as some follow informatiom.
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 08-08-2021 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Clarity

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Appears to continue on to the 2021 RTL. I noticed the local dealer pressing down hard to latch the trunk lid on their showroom RTL and S2S. I've developed the habit on my 2021 RTL of placing my forearm across the endof the lid and pressing it closed. Distributes the force and has been 100% successful in latching it (so far - in only 2500 miles).
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c