Spyder Garage

Default Can Am Says No More Ryker Rally's

Looks like those of us that have the Rally Edition will be the only ones, 2021 was the last year. Its being replaced by the Sport Edition. LINK: https://www.motorcycle.com/mini-feat...cGMGi7-I5wNvns
    Edit:
    Link working again.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

For some reason that link doesn't work and noticed even on Facebook they removed it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    For some reason that link doesn't work and noticed even on Facebook they removed it.
    Yep, it was flagged for me when I tried it.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Thats odd, I just tried different segments of the site and the whole site is down, maybe they're just having some issues. I'm sure they will be back up, they've been around forever. I did a web search and this was the only thing that I could find, its 17 hours old. At the bottom of this article, they also list the same link to the story on Motorcycle.com, but like here it doesnt work. Link to that article. https://www.motorcycle.com/mini-feat...-for-2022.html

Spyder Garage

The website (motorcycle.com) appears to have a SSL protocol issue. Here is a link to the cached text, you will have to scroll down a bit to find the specific article... https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=us

I have read elsewhere that the Rally will be replaced by the Sport for 2022, but since I haven't seen anything official from BRP I've taken all that with a grain of salt.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Rick, I went into the other room and I still had the article up on my laptop. I copied and pasted, this is what it said:

Bombardier Recreational Products is making changes to it’s Can-Am Ryker line-up for 2022, with a new Ryker 900 Sport set to replace the Rally Edition variant.

Both the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the California Air Resources Board have approved a 2022 Can-Am Ryker 900 Sport alongside the base model Ryker 900. Not listed for the 2022 model year is the Ryker 900 Rally Edition which had been around since 2019. The EPA has also certified the 600cc version of the Cam-Am Ryker for 2022.

While we know the Ryker 900 Sport exists, the certifications don’t offer any clues about what to expect beyond the engines. As with the previous model years, the 2022 the 2022 Ryker 900 models will be powered by the three-cylinder Rotax 900 ACE engine claiming a peak output of 81.9 hp at 8000 rpm. The continuously variable transmission will also return for 2022.

Though the power numbers are identical to the previous model years, the certifications for 2022 list a different engine code. Since the Ryker 900 debuted in 2019, it has been certified with an engine family code ending with “899AHL.” The 2022 engine has the code “899BHL,” suggesting something has changed, and that’s reflected in updated emissions data. The 2022 Ryker 600 also has a new engine family code, now going by “599BHL” instead of the previous “600AHL.”

The “Sport” name suggests a bigger focus on street performance than the Rally Edition which was fitted for light off-road use. Compared to the base Ryker 900, the Rally Edition had longer travel (6.38 inches vs. 5.39 inches) KYB suspension and an additional 0.4 inches of ground clearance. The Rally Edition also came with a Rally engine mode, reinforced rims, more aggressive-looking tires, a reinforced grille, a skid plate, hand guards, and a Max Mount tail section for attaching cargo. A Sport model will likely not have the additional reinforcement, focusing on reducing weight (the Rally Edition claimed a dry weight of 627 pounds compared to a claimed 616 pounds for the regular 2021 Ryker 900.)

When we last reviewed the Ryker 900 in 2019, Evans Brasfield said that the Ryker offered a similar power-to-weight ratio as the larger Can-Am Spyder models, but at a significantly lower price, making them an easier entry point for younger riders.

Incidentally, while the Ryker models have been certified for 2022, the Rotax 1330-powered Can-Am Spyder models have yet to get approval from either the EPA or CARB. Of course, that could come in at any time, and we expect the Spyder will return for 2022.

Spyder Garage

Guess we'll find out on the 11th...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT6TjmXLRoE

Spyder Garage

So what's changed between the two other then their names?
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

A good move, in my opinion. Not too much interest in destroying a Ryker off road or off pavement. And, for the few that want to do that, a street version can be converted. A much bigger demand for a sportier street version. Though more HP would have been a big upside to sales there. I got the Rally for the better suspension and a few other upgrades, that added later, would have cost more. But this Sport Version would have been a better choice for me. And I think, for most others. Thinking outside of the box doesn't always work out well. Boxes are popular for good reason.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I only bought my Rally for use on unpaved roads. Would not have been interested in a Ryker if not for the Rally model. Just glad I got a Rally before they decided to replace them.
    Spyder F3-S Special Series my traveling ride
    Ryker Rally modified for dual sport duty
    Honda Grom heavily modified for dual sport duty
    Ducati Scrambler Icon Dark my other traveling ride

Spyder Garage

The issue with the rally edition around here is Can'Am only sends the dealers 6-8 900s and 1-2 rallys each batch. A sport edition will probably be more like an accessory package to the 900 if they want to streamline production a bit.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Really disappointing BRP isn't offering a Ryker model with more HP. Maybe they are and we will see it on the 11th but with the current info doesn't sound promising.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    So what's changed between the two other then their names?
    According to the article, a different motor in the sport model. Not too much detail as of yet.

Spyder Garage

I bought my F3-S because they didn’t make a Rally model F3. I’d have much preferred a Rally version.
    2019 F3S SM6
    2019 F3S SM6 , Black metallic with pearl color change

Spyder Garage

So... a little value bump for us Rally owners then huh? Will be interested to see what happens in the future with the Ryker family. A little more power maybe? Loving my 2020 Rally.

Spyder Garage

Anybody try mounting up the turbo kit from the 900 snowmobile engine? Sounds like a fun project.
    Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sKiZo View Post
    Anybody try mounting up the turbo kit from the 900 snowmobile engine? Sounds like a fun project.
    I've heard the ace900 turbo has different internals, so a turbo swap probably isnt a good idea. Anyone who has compared BOM and can deny/confirm?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Some of the internals are different from the 900ace turbo to the non turbo 900ace. I posted an article about it a couple years ago here. In the snowmobile world BRP offers the 900AceTurbo in 130hp and 180hp versions. Based on this article the 130hp version has about the same fuel mileage as the non turbo 900Ace. https://sledmagazine.com/actions/pag...uest_locale=en

The snowmobile version of the 900Ace is rated for 95hp.

Spyder Garage

OK ... some internals are different, but ... wondering if they can be swapped in. I was pleasantly surprised how many Yamaha VMax parts would bolt right into my Royal Star. Cams, lifter springs, changing out the rear drive ratios, and reprogramming the ECU made for a real road warrior, eh.

PS - also swapped in R1 brakes and a Honda VTX master cylinder with steel lines to beef up the slow downs as well. A Barnett clutch and a whole lotta disks were nice touches.
    Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190