Spyder Garage

Unhappy Problem putting my Ryker in reverse - any ideas?

I just got my 2021 Ryker rally 3 weeks ago and I am now having an issue with trying to put it in reverse. anyone know what might be the problem might be?
    2021 rally 900 , black and red

Spyder Garage

What exactly is the problem? Can you engage reverse by pulling on the lever by hand?

Spyder Garage

I can pull the lever to put it in reverse but it will not go in to reverse it just shows nothing on the gage cluster

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crazychrismc View Post
    I can pull the lever to put it in reverse but it will not go in to reverse it just shows nothing on the gage cluster
    Are you able to roll it around freely when you have it in the reverse position? Or does it act like its in a gear?

I ask because there should be a pseudo neutral between forward and reverse for rolling the bike around. I'm curious if its still in "neutral" when you havethe lever all teh way back in reverse.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Markubis View Post
    Are you able to roll it around freely when you have it in the reverse position? Or does it act like its in a gear?

I ask because there should be a pseudo neutral between forward and reverse for rolling the bike around. I'm curious if its still in "neutral" when you havethe lever all teh way back in reverse.
    I was thinking the same thing.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

I took it to the place where I bought it and waiting to hear what it might be. but I was able to move it while it was in the pseudo neutral position. the shifter was able to move from forward and back and it would show forward on the gage cluster but when you pull the shifter back it would not show that you where in reverse and when you give it gas to move it would just sit there.

Spyder Garage

I took it to the place where I bought it and waiting to hear what it might be. but I was able to move it while it was in the pseudo neutral position. the shifter was able to move from forward and back and it would show forward on the gage cluster but when you pull the shifter back it would not show that you where in reverse and when you give it gas to move it would just sit there.
    Sounds like a faulty lever position sensor, hopefully it is, should be a quick and easy fix

Spyder Garage

I hope it is a quick fix because I am having withdrawals from not riding today

Spyder Garage

sorry i keep posting here but i took a video of what was happening and i would like to see what you all think it could be.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5apSNshHBI4

Spyder Garage

Your video just shows you moving the lever and looking at the screen. What happens when you try to give it some throttle to move it?

Spyder Garage

it does not move. but when it does move it jerks backwords

Spyder Garage

Sounds like an adjustment needs to be made for the shifter...almost like it's engaging but not quite enough. I'm surprised it made it to the dealer like that.

Spyder Garage

it does not move. but when it does move it jerks backwords
    I'm not sure I completely understand this ("...it does not move but when it does..."). If it helps, reverse engagement is subject to the same minimum RPM requirement as forward (1800 in the case of the 2021 900 ACE). In other words, simply shifting into reverse will not / should not result in any movement. You wont get movement until the engine sees 1800 rpm. And when it does don't be at all surprised if you get a thump and jerk, which you can overcome with a little finesse...just like forward.

Beyond this, you may need to go back to the dealer.

EDIT: Having watched the video again I see what you mean... no "R". If it were mine I would take it back to the dealer straight away.

Spyder Garage

I just got my 2021 Ryker rally 3 weeks ago and I am now having an issue with trying to put it in reverse. anyone know what might be the problem might be?
    Did you find out what was wrong and how was it fixed?