Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default WAAAAY OT: Does Anyone Use a Password Manager on Their PC?

I don't subscribe to any PC Forums so thought that I'd ask here ---- Can anyone recommend a good, easy-to-set-up-and-use Password Management software for PC (Windows 10)?

Thanks!
    Bert
    Bert

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post
    I don't subscribe to any PC Forums so thought that I'd ask here ---- Can anyone recommend a good, easy-to-set-up-and-use Password Management software for PC (Windows 10)?

Thanks!
    Bert
    Check out SplashID. I use it and it works good. I've never used any other so can't say how it compares to the others. They have a version that is on a USB stick so you can use it on any computer and it leaves no traces behind on the PC.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I think our work computers were supplied with KEEPASS. Worked to hold username, password, site URL. Required a bit of manual entry at times.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

I use both KeePass and Password Safe. Both work well and easy to use.
    2016 F3-T , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

I use a spiral note book. It was cheap to buy, easy to set up even has tabs to alphabetize. Has great storage size and fits all my electronic devices and never runs out of power. Oh and it is easy to change the passwords,stores info. Walmart has them on sale now for back to school. It is hard to read sometimes because my hand writing is not as good as it used to be but other then that data entry is very easy.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I use a spiral note book. It was cheap to buy, easy to set up even has tabs to alphabetize. Has great storage size and fits all my electronic devices and never runs out of power. Oh and it is easy to change the passwords,stores info. Walmart has them on sale now for back to school. It is hard to read sometimes because my hand writing is not as good as it used to be but other then that data entry is very easy.
    Same here-- same reasons.
    LewL
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newbert View Post

Thanks!
    Bert
    Use lastpass - I do Cyber Security for a living, it works really well and allows you to store things other then credentials into the program. It works on multiple PC's, MAC, mobile phones, it is great. You can store things like credit cards information, insurance information and it will randomly generate passwords for you. This avoids the mistake of using simple passwords and the same password for every site. Please do not write things down on paper, some one can steal very easily. Once you get going with it, it is something that is invaluable.
    Jim

Spyder Garage

I use KEEPER, it keeps all my passwords, URLs and other info. It updates all my devices automatically from phone, tablet and computer that way no matter what device I am using the passwords are current. It also will generate passwords for you so you don't have to come up with it yourself every 30, 60 or 90 days when ever you have to change passwords.
    2021 Sea to Sky , cyclops light, front fender light/turn signal, rear run/brake/ turn signal LED strip, BRP floor board light Green

Spyder Garage

I use the gray matter. Then again, that can sometimes ge . . . . what was I saying. OH NEVRMIND!

Seriously though; I create passwords from combinations of letters, numbers and symbols to represent scientific names of various critters. Those can sometimes get a little lengthy but are probably unbreakable.

For instance; BrantaCanadensis would become I3ran7aCana9en$i$. You do have to have a pretty good memory for your code and proper spelling of the two part Latin names. Branta Canadensis is the Canadian Goose--just in case anyone cares. I also keep those in a word document with other security features in the event I forget which device or page they apply to.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    Use lastpass - I do Cyber Security for a living, it works really well and allows you to store things other then credentials into the program. It works on multiple PC's, MAC, mobile phones, it is great. You can store things like credit cards information, insurance information and it will randomly generate passwords for you. This avoids the mistake of using simple passwords and the same password for every site. Please do not write things down on paper, some one can steal very easily. Once you get going with it, it is something that is invaluable.
    Jim
    You know you are absolutely right, just as some one can hack your password keeper or whatever other method you use to store all this stuff,just like someone has always been able to open any lock. Security only keeps honest people honest. If someone wants it bad enough they will get it. This will work for me until it doesn't.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    You know you are absolutely right, just as some one can hack your password keeper or whatever other method you use to store all this stuff,just like someone has always been able to open any lock. Security only keeps honest people honest. If someone wants it bad enough they will get it. This will work for me until it doesn't.
    I suggest you rethink that position. 256 bit AES encryption is standard in the password manager world. Here is one of the results from a Google search of "256 bit aes".

AES 256 is virtually impenetrable using brute-force methods. While a 56-bit DES key can be cracked in less than a day, AES would take billions of years to break using current computing technology. Hackers would be foolish to even attempt this type of attack.
    It is the encryption method the US military uses. Even when computers become one million times faster than they are today it will take millions of years to brute force crack an encrypted file. That's why most security breaches are accomplished with social engineering methods wherein a user is duped into revealing a password.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

i use MSecure, great program.
    2018 White F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

I used to use Keepass but hated having to keep each device synced (computer, phone, etc). I now use Bitwarden. It's easy to use (and will import from other programs.) It syncs across devices. It also is available on the web so if you can get to the internet you have your passwords. It uses the latest algorithms. I currently pay $10 per year to let me send files back and forth to work, but when I retire that cost goes away and the basic function of password keeping is free.
    2017 RT Limited