Spyder Garage

Default Just bought an exhaust can on ebay - any worries running lean?

Hey ya'll
    Was wondering if I could ask a quick question that I'm sure comes up often. I have bought a two brothers racing single exhaust end can from ebay. Just playing the waiting game for it to be delivered. I've bought it because some times, especially when I'm with Harley guys, I am let down by the sound my 2009 gs/rs makes in comparison to the Harley's. In comparison it sounds like a 300cc scooter with the original exhaust on. I'm not looking for more hp or added torque. It's just for the sound. My question is by replacing the exhaust can, but not the air filter. Do I need to be worried about it running lean? Do I need to get a fuel controller too?
    Thank you all very much for any feedback and of course I will be adding a sound comparison video of b4 and after when it arrives.

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

After putting on the exhaust can, let it idle for ten minutes orso, so that the ECU can adapt, to the lower pressure, Are you doing a Cat- delete also?
    If you leave the Cat, there's no need for the above, The Ecu is more than capable with adjusting the fuel airmixture, and is not likely goin to run lean...
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

On my 2009 model the cat is in the end can. So in a way a cat delete is inevitable. That's why my original exhaust can is so unbelievably heavy compared to the after market one.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Canamandy View Post
    On my 2009 model the cat is in the end can. So in a way a cat delete is inevitable. That's why my original exhaust can is so unbelievably heavy compared to the after market one.
    my 09-RS is the same i put a two bros on it and it was way to loud so i got a power tip for it now it sounds really good but you will get some back firing when gearing down to stop but i hear that's normal
    doesnt back fire when riding though, i dunno maybe a power commander would fix that ,other then the back firing when gearing down it runs fine with that pipe.

also you will save about 20lbs by adding that two bros pipe!

this is the power tip i bought for mine it brings it down about 10db they claim anyway it worked for me.
    see how it sounds first then if its to loud get one of these power tips
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...BoCLCAQAvD_BwE

2009 RS , Silver/Black

Spyder Garage

Wow thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. Ill put in on and hear what it sounds lije. I live in the country so loud is fine. There is nothing wrong with my original exhaust that I can put on when I ride longer trips. The two brothers is for when I'm riding with the Harley boys so I dont sound like a 300cc scooter.

Spyder Garage

two days ago I lost my DB-Killer,
    Too loud, the exhaust drones, next tuesday, get a new db-killer fitted, I have a acropovic endpipe, no cat, and a custom tune...
    My exhaustguy, is going to fabricate a db-killer, so we can tweak the sound a bit, I don't wanna sound like those riceburners, but a bit more rumble...
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    Swaybar (Ron's)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Piratezz View Post
    two days ago I lost my DB-Killer,
    Too loud, the exhaust drones, next tuesday, get a new db-killer fitted, I have a acropovic endpipe, no cat, and a custom tune...
    My exhaustguy, is going to fabricate a db-killer, so we can tweak the sound a bit, I don't wanna sound like those riceburners, but a bit more rumble...
    I did somewhat the something. I found the db killer right next to useless including its cost. I finally found an array of baffles on eBay in varying sizes both in diameter and length. Reasonably priced also. I bought a couple of them along with several rolls of muffler batting. Experimenting with cutting and wrapping and cutting and wrapping, I came up with some of what I thought to be some very nice exhaust tones. The down side is the tone I liked kept changing as the batting blew out. Finally I said to hell with it and went back to OEM muffler/cat delete w/baffle.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i had two bros on my old 09 and it is LOUD. and db killer doesn't work well. it just changes tone to higher note.
    i think i did get some popping without fuel mod because like op stated, cat delete is given because back then, cat was in the muffler.
    if you can find some old two bros juicebox, that would be perfect fit.
    other issue is, may be not for some is unfiltered emission really bothered me then and bothers me now especially when breeze is from behind you when you are sitting.
    6 states down 42 states to go

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I did somewhat the something. I found the db killer right next to useless including its cost. I finally found an array of baffles on eBay in varying sizes both in diameter and length. Reasonably priced also. I bought a couple of them along with several rolls of muffler batting. Experimenting with cutting and wrapping and cutting and wrapping, I came up with some of what I thought to be some very nice exhaust tones. The down side is the tone I liked kept changing as the batting blew out. Finally I said to hell with it and went back to OEM muffler/cat delete w/baffle.
    Sorry, got carried away and didn't answer your question. No, you won't run lean. Let your scoot idle a couple of minutes after your install and let the computer adjust. When you take off the first time avoid goosing it and revving it up. Drive normally and try to keep revs under half of your red line. Easy at first and the ECM will self-adjust to your new exhaust.

Spyder Garage

I've added the new exhaust now and I just love it. Yes its loud, so a db killer is ordered. But the sound is awesome. Here's a link to a video https://youtu.be/Trw14MEY9UY I uploaded a video of a cold start on both exhausts on my youtube channel so you can compare them.

Spyder Garage

Must admit I was so excited when I started it up the first time that it only idled for a minute b4 I hopped on and took a 10km ride. I didn't gun it though and the revs were under half the whole trip. Got home and thought oops, should have let it idle a few minutes first. Hope it's ok.

Spyder Garage

For those of you who are interested in facts and figures, I've been to a mates house who has a decibel reader. We held it about 30cm or 12 inches from the end of the exhaust and here are the results. At idle it measured 88db, at 3-4000 it read 106db and at higher revs was up to 112db. I've ordered the db killer from the link from xxLo TeXx mentioned above. When that arrives I will take new measurements and post the results here.

Spyder Garage

More out of curiosity than need, can you tell us what the db level is when you measure it at the level of the riders ear also?
    As a rule, I wear earplugs to protect my ears (already have tinnitus so I'm trying to protect what I have left) and a helmet must cut the level a bit too.

I am told that:
    105–110 db Hearing loss possible in less than 5 minutes
    100 Hearing loss possible after 15 minutes

Spyder Garage

Ok, i can check it out next time im over at his house.

Spyder Garage

I always use a full face helmet which protects alot from noise. For safety reasons I'd never ride without one.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Huh, what'd you say? Say that again please. LOL

Spyder Garage

Ok here's the results with the Two Brothers Power Tip out vs installed.
    Power Tip out at idle is 88-90 db 1 meter from behind at exhaust height and 86-88 at riders head.
    Power Tip installed at idle same distance and height from exhaust is 85-86db and 82-83db at riders head.
    The biggest and most obvious difference though is when I ride it up through the gears. Its noticeably quieter when riding. With out the Power Tip it sounds amazing and I'm laughing out loud when riding. Especially with the down shifts the engine barks and growls, but it's on the border of being obnoxious. Now with the Power Tip the barks and growls are much less brutal. The ride is not obnoxious now, but I still have the meaty Harley burble at idle.

20210810_141349.jpg

20210812_154126.jpg

With and without photos. I like the look of both.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-13-2021 at 04:57 AM.

Spyder Garage

It looks good, both, with the powertip in, it looks like it's on fire.. ghegheghe

Swaybar (Ron's)

Spyder Garage

20210810_141337.jpg

I think it's much better looking than the original. Lighter and better sounding too. Here in Norway there is no yearly or two yearly checks on bikes. I'm not sure if it would pass emissions tests as the cat is removed. I keep the original exhaust on my shelf just in case.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-13-2021 at 04:58 AM.

Spyder Garage

emissions test wil absolutely fail, with cat removed, bust overhere in the Netherlands, we also have no annual inspections for the motorbikes, so I don't worrie bout that, except, if you get pulled over, the missing cat is going to be an issue, depending on who's pulling you over....

Been there, done that, got the shirt, and so on

Swaybar (Ron's)

Spyder Garage

Over here if one gets pulled over by the police, they can demand you turn up to a vehicle check. This can b a week or so from the date you get stopped. I just have to put the original exhaust on again b4 I turn up. Takes under 5 mins to change back.

Spyder Garage

That will work the same way overhere, vehicle check, a friend of mine has a Replica Shelby cobra, and he has this @##@!! check every year, he has to change mirrors, sidepipes, and carburettors, to pass..
    it's a pita, takes him over 2.5 hours to change, not funny at all, Every time the same cop...

Swaybar (Ron's)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Piratezz View Post
    That will work the same way overhere, vehicle check, a friend of mine has a Replica Shelby cobra, and he has this @##@!! check every year, he has to change mirrors, sidepipes, and carburettors, to pass..
    it's a pita, takes him over 2.5 hours to change, not funny at all, Every time the same cop...
    You know what they say,,, mess with the Bull you get the horn!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl