Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Anybody else have trouble putting in Speed Bleeders?

Anybody else have trouble putting in the bleeders?...mine went in about one thread then was hard to turn them in with my fingers.......i didnt wanna force them until i asked on here....i dont want to ruin the caliper threads by forcing them in.....i called speedbeeders and i do have the correct ones for my 2014 spyder rts....is it the thread sealant that makes them screw in hard with my fingers?.......anybody run across this? ......thank you

Spyder Garage

Clean the tread sealant off the threads then try running them in by hand

You like now they thread after that?, then find out what the seller recommends to use and go for it
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shakin_jake View Post
    Clean the tread sealant off the threads then try running them in by hand

You like now they thread after that?, then find out what the seller recommends to use and go for it
    NOOOOOOOOO!!! The thread sealer is part of the package that makes them work. LEAVE IT ON! Use a wrench and be sure they are not cross threaded.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

For my 2017 F3T they sent me SB8125L M8X1.0 (3 For the calipers) and SB10s M10X1.0 for the brake manifold as of 3/6/2020
    At that time they had 8MM bleeders listed by mistake and had to exchange them for the 6MM (SB6100 M6X1.0)
    Yours should be the same #s

T.P.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    NOOOOOOOOO!!! The thread sealer is part of the package that makes them work. LEAVE IT ON! Use a wrench and be sure they are not cross threaded.

Exactly

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

.... and when you TRY and clean those threads bits of the " thread sealer " will come off and get into the brake fluid, I'm sure that will cause problems at some point...... jmho ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I just added the speed bleeders over the weekend on a 2010 RT. Was only able to get about one turn by hand, then used a wrench the rest of the way.
    2022 RT-L , Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I installed the Goodridge SB6100 (M6x1.00) on all three calipers for my 2014 RT-S. As I recall the sealant required some extra force needed after the first turn but nothing like thread-damage force. Compare both the diameter and the thread pitch with your current bleeders (yeah things will get messy -- brake fluid is almost as bad as hydraulic fluid for mess). And maybe use a finger-held socket to ensure proper alignment.

Once they are installed you will enjoy how quick and easy the job will be.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lacquer thinner will clean up brake fluid nicely.

Spyder Garage

Generally lots of water is recommended to clean up brake fluid. Lacquer thinner attacks various plastics and paint finishes.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Something I was taught was to turn a screw or bolt backwards 1/2 a turn after seating before before tightening to make sure the threads are properly aligned. I put the speed bleeders on last weekend and did this then was able to tighten them about 1 -1/2 turns before needing a wrench. Had no problems with cross threading they just got tight quickly due to the extra material on the threads. If you look closely at the threads you can tell about how many turns before you can expect to feel the bleeder tighten and need a wrench tp finnish.
    2011 rt , pearl white

Spyder Garage

BTW, 91% isopropyl alcohol does a nice job of cleaning up brake fluid while not damaging paint or plastics. I keep a couple bottles of it around the garage as a general-use solvent.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

~~~I advised to remove the sealant (for the threads) so the OP would be satisfied the the thread pitch is correct. What I omitted to say was if he was happy with the threading, to then apply new thread sealant (consult the manufacturer of the bleeders) as to which sealant to apply

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Please forgive any typos, I’m recuperating from another UTI Episode
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Just did mine about a month ago, went well for me!! If you match the thread of the new ones with the old ones and they match, it's the sealant thats hanging you up as long as they are going on straight they will go no and do the job!!! Best invention sense the wheel!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I could never get a good bleed until I learned of Speed Bleeders. It is the sealant preventing the air sneaking past the threads that makes the difference. That and the check valve make getting good, hard bleeds so easy.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhard View Post
    Generally lots of water is recommended to clean up brake fluid. Lacquer thinner attacks various plastics and paint finishes.
    JMHO, but if you're that sloppy handling brake fluid you shouldn't be anywhere near brake fluid.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    JMHO, but if you're that sloppy handling brake fluid you shouldn't be anywhere near brake fluid.
    get of your high horse. It is a rare person that does not spread a little around.

And, water is the best way to get the brake fluid us imperfect mortals spill, off anything. Brake fluid is soluble in water. no need for organic solvents.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    And, water is the best way to get the brake fluid us imperfect mortals spill, off anything. Brake fluid is soluble in water. no need for organic solvents.
    Yep, while other products will mix with the glycol eithers in brake fluid and remove them the act of rubbing with a rag saturated in alcohol, acetone, naphtha etc. can cause problems if the brake fluid has already started to penetrate the paint. By rinsing with water, (pouring a cup of it over spot, water hose, spray mist bottle) you dilute and remove it from the surface. I would still go back a little while later and wash it with a bit of soap, being gentle.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I plan on preventing problems. That said, strategically placed wet rags solve a drop of sloppyness with ease. Filling the reservoir on my poor, Old, slow V-Max has the clutch and brake reservoirs just above the " tank". An ounce of prevention...........

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2dogs -- I should have explained my observation. Headwrench had to open the brake system to install the SBs. But being unsure they were the correct size, the system had to be left open while measurements, comparisons, etc were being performed. I suspect Headwrench has the same number of hands as me (two) so doesn't have a spare finger to put over the opening. So brake fluid will be coming out, slowly, without means to prevent it until an OEM vs SB decision is made. And whatever makes brake fluid (and hydraulic fluid) slippery makes it, in my experience, a bit messier to clean up than engine oil. And it seems to seep into whatever your workshop floor material is unlike engine oil which succumbs to kitty litter.

Once Headwrench installs the SBs then his brake fluid changes will be clean and dry just like mine and the rest of us.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    2dogs -- I should have explained my observation. Headwrench had to open the brake system to install the SBs. But being unsure they were the correct size, the system had to be left open while measurements, comparisons, etc were being performed. I suspect Headwrench has the same number of hands as me (two) so doesn't have a spare finger to put over the opening. So brake fluid will be coming out, slowly, without means to prevent it until an OEM vs SB decision is made. And whatever makes brake fluid (and hydraulic fluid) slippery makes it, in my experience, a bit messier to clean up than engine oil. And it seems to seep into whatever your workshop floor material is unlike engine oil which succumbs to kitty litter.

Once Headwrench installs the SBs then his brake fluid changes will be clean and dry just like mine and the rest of us.
    I've had far too much experience over the years doing brake jobs to discuss the issue any further with those who know more than I. It is a waste of effort. I do agree with proper preparation to avoid accidents followed by immediate cleanup which is key to a successful job. If you are one of those who are all thumbs and you know you are, take the job to someone who knows how to do it right. Everyone needs assistance from time to time and there's no disgrace for seeking it. Today things are very different than days gone by. Now you simply unbolt the old one bolt on the new one, fill'er up and go. And by the way, thank you for the kind reply Bert.

Spyder Garage

The answer to my question sure did take a turn...........thank you guys for the quick responce ........my problem is solved......didnt realize my question would stir up so much controversy..now back to the show........

Spyder Garage

You know what they say, be careful what you ask for!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Helpful discussion as I prepare to do my first ever (personally) brake system flush.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Speed bleeders

I don't have any ...... but are there Metric and SAE versions ....????? ....thanks Mike