Thread: Need a new belt

Spyder Garage

Default Need a new belt

I have a 2018 RT and would like to have a back up belt. Where can I get a good price?

Spyder Garage

cheapcycleparts.com or could try ebay
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Cheap Cycle Parts and BRP show the same list price for the belt, PN705501304, $329.99. CCP routinely has free shipping for orders over $100. In my mind that's still a lot of coin for a part one may never use. To me a wiser investment is a Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard for $45.00. IMO, if one routinely rides gravel roads and doesn't slow down as the operator's guide recommends buying a spare belt could be a valid investment. Otherwise a MBG is the way to go.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I was able to buy a slightly used one 5 yrs. ago as a back-up ..... However I now think mine shouls last approx. 250,000 mi .... But I do have peacs of mind ..... good luck ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thank you!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Cheap Cycle Parts and BRP show the same list price for the belt, PN705501304, $329.99. CCP routinely has free shipping for orders over $100. In my mind that's still a lot of coin for a part one may never use. To me a wiser investment is a Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard for $45.00. IMO, if one routinely rides gravel roads and doesn't slow down as the operator's guide recommends buying a spare belt could be a valid investment. Otherwise a MBG is the way to go.
    I did install the belt guard you mentioned. Unfortunately, it was after I had a small rock push through my belt in the center. I’ve since put approximately 1000 miles on and the belt seems to be holding up well. I’m going on a long multi day ride in a few weeks and thought it might be a good idea to carry a spare.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deaconmike View Post
    I did install the belt guard you mentioned. Unfortunately, it was after I had a small rock push through my belt in the center. I’ve since put approximately 1000 miles on and the belt seems to be holding up well. I’m going on a long multi day ride in a few weeks and thought it might be a good idea to carry a spare.
    There are more than a few here who have punctured the belt, and then put 10's of thousands of miles on without incident .... Good luck ... Mike .... PS I paid $150.00 for that used belt ....

Spyder Garage

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Having a spare belt will at least spare you the problem of having to await a replacement if the current belt gets worse. It might be worth your while to go the the "Find a dealer" page on the main Can-Am site and make a list of dealerships on your trip route.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've heard it said and read it here on this site that the belt could do with just a dab of grease every now and again. Any thoughts?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I've heard it said and read it here on this site that the belt could do with just a dab of grease every now and again. Any thoughts?
    I think a dab of grease on the rubber belt would neither hurt nor help.
    Cheers!
    ‘21 Honda Rebel 1100 DTC Burgundy
    ‘13 Spyder RT-L Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I just went on Ebay put in canam spyder rt drive belt, five belts popped up. Good luck
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trong View Post
    I think a dab of grease on the rubber belt would neither hurt nor help.
    Cheers!
    I'm kind of in agreement with you on that because I've never come across any dialogue explaining the advantage in any great detail. Thanks trong.

Spyder Garage

I run a Gates belt on my MTB and I do not believe it is recommended by Gates to put grease or any other oil based product on their belts. In the mountain bike industry, we use silicone or Pedro's Bike lust ONLY on our belts. I would personally NEVER use grease. Grease may or may not help your belt's longevity but what it will do is attract dirt and hold it there. Dirt is not and never will be beneficial to the life of a belt. I may be wrong but the belts we use on our Spyders are very similar if not identical in composition to the belts used on MTBs. Logic tells me not to use grease. My experience here is not nearly as extensive as some other Spyder owners as I only have 12k mi on my 2018 RT but a belt is a belt. Also note, when I ride on dirt or gravel, I go VERY slow. Partially due to ground clearance, my rack which has leverage, newness and it just doesn't feel good. It may be difficult to see from the avatar but one of the bikes on the back of our Spyder is a single speed with a belt.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks!
    If your luck is like mine, buy a belt and take it with you and you'll never need it. Karma? Don't buy one and chances are you'll need one.

Spyder Garage

BajaRon $289 for a belt shipped.Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 7.17.15 AM.jpg
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White