Spyder Garage

Default F3T 2016 will not shift into gear

Hey Everyone, I am a recent purchaser of my spyder used and from a private sale. I need some technical help. My spyder will not shift from neutral to first. I can shift to reverse fine but when I press the shifter to go back to first it goes to neutral and then flashes an E. It seems to be pretty high learning curve to ride in reverse so can I get some can am love. It did shift into gear after a few tries with the shifter and I rode it home with no problem but I put it in reverse to back it in its spot and that's where it sits. Please help. I have mechanical skills but it seems that everywhere I look for help I keep getting send it to the dealer. Thank you.
    2016 F3T , Silver/orange

Spyder Garage

I assume you are pressing the brake when you try and shift into first. Not sure why it's designed so you can go into reverse from neutral without pressing the brake but you can't shift into first without it.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    I assume you are pressing the brake when you try and shift into first. Not sure why it's designed so you can go into reverse from neutral without pressing the brake but you can't shift into first without it.

Hope it is as simple as pressing on the brake. A few years ago I was touring with 2 other bikes. Stopped for fuel somewhere in Utah. The other bikes were ready to go and waiting on me. I couldn't get my Spyder to go. Hollered to my buddies that I was stuck when one of them suggested I try pressing on the brake. Embarrassingly I joined them. Brain farts happen..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Thanks. Yes I had my foot on the brake. I sure do wish it was that simple. It will not shift to first when I press the shift lever.
    2016 F3T , Silver/orange

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hello. Most of the time, even on a Can Am ATV, that when E pops up on the gear position display, and it won’t shift, that this is indicating a fault with the gear box position sensor, the GBPS. Your manual states that, if this is the case, that you should see your N and R indicator lights, up on your display, flashing. So, try to recreate the problem and see if you have that.

With these low voltage sensors, it never hurts to first unplug the harness connector and clean the pins and sockets. The ATV riders are always getting these things wet and that cures it. A little dialectic grease and put it back together. I don’t have a picture handy, but Google it and you’ll find a million pictures of it.

If it needs replaced, it’s something that folks have done themselves. Per the shop manual, a new one needs to be reset with the ECM and relearn the gears. But, many folks have had it work ok out of the box. Your call. Good luck.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Thanks I do believe I had that thought process. I will definitely try that and see if it works.
    2016 F3T , Silver/orange

Spyder Garage

Hey Everyone, a little embarrassing problem. After a whole lot of trouble shooting and removal of covers, I finally found the issue. The reverse actuator lever was not screwed on all the way. It would not engage back into first gear. When I saw that bolt loose, I just about cried. Well I tightened it down and now I'm back on the road. Be blessed and keep on riding.
    2016 F3T , Silver/orange

Spyder Garage

Amazing, how such a small thing can cause so much discomfort... but thanks for sharing the solution, enjoy the ryde
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

You are spot on about the discomfort. Ryde always.
    2016 F3T , Silver/orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderRyder21 View Post
    Hey Everyone, a little embarrassing problem. After a whole lot of trouble shooting and removal of covers, I finally found the issue. The reverse actuator lever was not screwed on all the way. It would not engage back into first gear. When I saw that bolt loose, I just about cried. Well I tightened it down and now I'm back on the road. Be blessed and keep on riding.
    A very good catch. The good side, the bolt had not come off and fell into the road void somewhere back "there." That did happen to me one time on the 2014.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red