Spyder Garage

Default Are Spyder GS/RS Hard Saddlebags still available?

Hi, I'm new to the site, and new to Spyders.

I have a history with 2-wheelers, but I also have a bad knee that makes 2-wheeling difficult. I have recently purchased a Spyder, and am super excited to be back in the wind again. I've put about 3000km on the thing in the last 2 weeks since I bought it - almost all of that after 7pm when I'm off work.

Anyhoo, I have been excited about planning a little road trip for myself - perhaps Winnipeg to L.A. via Key West or some such - pandemic permitting. However, I need to store stuff to keep me out on the road for a month or two. What is the current scuttlebutt on saddlebags for older Spyders? I have a 2009 GS, which I have learned (via this site) is mostly compatible with the RS.

However, I don't see a lot of saddlebags available for this model. I know that there have been saddlebags available, but they are mostly discontinued in favor of F3/RT accessories. A quick look over the site's buy an sell does not offer any encouragement.

I found this: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...RS-vs-GS)-Help!!
    ..which was not particularly encouraging.

I know I can probably get generic soft bags that drape over the passenger seat, but I would prefer hard lockable bags for reasons that are probably obvious. Do any of you sage Spyder-people have some good info for me?

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the Forum & Posting!

Have you contacted Dalthamion?? I reckon he's still got the saddlebags you're after for sale, & if so, I'm pretty sure they'll fit any of the pre-2013 GS/RS/ST models, & maybe even the later RS/RSS's & ST's

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...s-and-hardware
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-02-2021 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Link
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aiwa View Post
    Hi, I'm new to the site, and new to Spyders.

I have a history with 2-wheelers, but I also have a bad knee that makes 2-wheeling difficult. I have recently purchased a Spyder, and am super excited to be back in the wind again. I've put about 3000km on the thing in the last 2 weeks since I bought it - almost all of that after 7pm when I'm off work.

Anyhoo, I have been excited about planning a little road trip for myself - perhaps Winnipeg to L.A. via Key West or some such - pandemic permitting. However, I need to store stuff to keep me out on the road for a month or two. What is the current scuttlebutt on saddlebags for older Spyders? I have a 2009 GS, which I have learned (via this site) is mostly compatible with the RS.

However, I don't see a lot of saddlebags available for this model. I know that there have been saddlebags available, but they are mostly discontinued in favor of F3/RT accessories. A quick look over the site's buy an sell does not offer any encouragement.

I found this: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...RS-vs-GS)-Help!!
    ..which was not particularly encouraging.

I know I can probably get generic soft bags that drape over the passenger seat, but I would prefer hard lockable bags for reasons that are probably obvious. Do any of you sage Spyder-people have some good info for me?
    Finding any BRP bags might be very difficult ..... However " Mutaza " bags will work nicely .... I got mine on E-bay ... paid about $210... a few years ago ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Whoa, this is good info. Let me check with fitment with the dealer and check shipping from PA.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Aiwa View Post
    Whoa, this is good info. Let me check with fitment with the dealer and check shipping from PA.
    They came with " universal " mounting hardware ...... after you get it set up .... all the " bolt together " joints can be welded. So there's no concern with anything becoming loose ...... I would do a search, there are a few posts on these bags, and what others learned about them and modificastions to improve .... Mike

Spyder Garage

BK has the right idea.

When the GS (2008) and RS (2009) came out the BRP bags were about $1000 a set. I had a set on each bike. The 990/998 twins have since been discontinued so finding bags may be difficult.

Both Peter and BK have good leads for you to follow. Good luck in your hunt.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Corbin advertised. a set of bags for the gs rs spyder on their site but they are expensive.

https://www.corbin.com/can-am/cabag.shtml
    2011 rt , pearl white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by remus View Post
    Corbin advertised. a set of bags for the gs rs spyder on their site but they are expensive.

https://www.corbin.com/can-am/cabag.shtml
    Beautiful bags, but new they were about $1500 a set.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Drop "Motorcycle Dave" a message...He keeps up with the 08/09 GS market...He is a forum sponsor...larryd

Spyder Garage

You can easily buy Givi V35 side bags but the Givi frames for the Spyder GS, RS, RSS are unobtainable. I recently bought what I believe to be the last set of new Givi frames for my GS from a dealer in Cape Town, South Africa.
    Used frames are also rare.

The new frames I got cost $400CAD and the new V35 side cases were around $550CAD. Shipping included.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    You can easily buy Givi V35 side bags but the Givi frames for the Spyder GS, RS, RSS are unobtainable. I recently bought what I believe to be the last set of new Givi frames for my GS from a dealer in Cape Town, South Africa.
    Used frames are also rare.

The new frames I got cost $400CAD and the new V35 side cases were around $550CAD. Shipping included.
    The frames are the fitment bits that allow me to use the bags with my model?

Spyder Garage

Yes. The Givi model # is PLX770.

Can Am ones that you could buy were "quickly detachable" so you could quite easily remove most of the frame when not wanted. The Givi ones tend to be left on as more time consuming to remove.

Givi also used to make frame set PL770 for the GS, RS, RSS. These would not fit their V35 side cases but would fit all of their 'Monokey' sidecases which gave you a wide range of side case size you could clip onto them.

Neither of those model frames are available new but you might get lucky if you keep tracking Kijiji or ebay.

Good luck.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc