Spyder Garage

Default Tire options for 2013RTs 15”

Hey gang, as the title suggests, I have a very specific question about very specific fitment.

This isn’t about opinions, other bikes, etc.

My Kendas (pretty sure it’s the second set at 20K) aren’t wearing the way I’d like. Not big news, hardly uncommon. Getting an alignment done, pretty sure I altered one front (don’t ask!) and want to try some other tires.

Totally open to trying some car tires. I haven’t heard anyone say they wish they didn’t, lots of people have a lot to say about it. This isn’t that place...

What tires fit in the wheel well of a 2013 RTS (it’s the fender with the flat white LED cluster)? There doesn’t seem to be much room for fudgery...

I order some Kanines but they ended up being back ordered (and they’re still Kendas)...

Not seeing much in the way of kumhos out there but know they exist.

Thanks any and all who can address this specific bike fitment!!!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by downeastryder View Post
    Hey gang, as the title suggests, I have a very specific question about very specific fitment.

This isn’t about opinions, other bikes, etc.

My Kendas (pretty sure it’s the second set at 20K) aren’t wearing the way I’d like. Not big news, hardly uncommon. Getting an alignment done, pretty sure I altered one front (don’t ask!) and want to try some other tires.

Totally open to trying some car tires. I haven’t heard anyone say they wish they didn’t, lots of people have a lot to say about it. This isn’t that place...

What tires fit in the wheel well of a 2013 RTS (it’s the fender with the flat white LED cluster)? There doesn’t seem to be much room for fudgery...

I order some Kanines but they ended up being back ordered (and they’re still Kendas)...

Not seeing much in the way of kumhos out there but know they exist.

Thanks any and all who can address this specific bike fitment!!!
    For the rear tire these will fit fine .... General Altimax RT43 in 215/60-15, it's a high rated tire with very good wet road rating..... you should also get decent mileage from it ..... That tire will work best at 18-19 PSI .... it's an Auto tire and is much better made than the Kenda or Kanines ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Best advice you'll ever get downeastryder.

Spyder Garage

I really liked the Yokohama Avid Touring S in that size. Nice smooth ride and looked great.

Spyder Garage

The front tire size of the 2013 RT is exactly the same as that of the '14 RT, 165/55R15. Unfortunately, when one begins an internet search for candidates of that size most of the good candidates are backordered or out of stock at the most common and even some less than common sources. At least that's what I find, even for the Federal 595 EVO I am currently running on Lamonster's recommendation. Am glad I still have lost of tread on them. I second Mike's recommendation on the General Altimax 215/60 R15; am on my third one.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

For front tires, you should be able to find a 155, 165, or 175/50, 55, or maybe even a 60 or 65 profile tire that'll fit under the fender (heck, some have even fitted 185's!! ) altho you might have to do some minor tweaking, like swapping to different head type screws or trimming the projecting ends of any screws that project into the wheel well; or possibly even add a couple of spacers/washers under the hub end fender mounting brackets to space the fenders/brackets away from the tire a little & give it enough room to slide in there - the placcy fender is flexible enough that the outer lip will generally lift to allow you to slide the top of the tire in first, then settle the rim onto the studs so that the tire fits - it only needs to JUST clear everything once in place.

The thing to be aware of is that just cos the tire you are looking at has a nominal size printed on the sidewall, it isn't necessarily going to be exactly that size - it should be somewhere near, but the real size of tires can vary a lot in same-nominally-sized tires between different manufacturers & even between different tire models/types made by the same manufacturer.... . So you need to compare things from each tire's actual specifications (& not just on an internet/generic size comparison table! ) things from their actual specs that actually relate to that tire's size - things like rolling radius, rolling diameter, circumference, or revs per mile... And in most countries/jurisdictions, the tire you choose doesn't hafta be exactly the same size either, just similar - only it should always match or exceed/better the load & speed ratings of the OE Spec tire; and if it's on the tire that drives the speed sensor for your speedo, it shouldn't be such a big change in size that your speedo ends up reading slower than the correct/true speed you are travelling at... only since just about every vehicle made since 1974 leaves the factory with speedo that reads anything up to 10% FASTER than your correct/true speed, there's usually a fair bit of scope there for saay a 10-15 mm or so larger rolling radius!

Just about every good name brand auto/car tire in a size that fits will work well on our Spyders if you run it at or near the right (lower) pressure for the (lighter) load our Spyders impose - just choose one that meets those criteria above & suits your particular ryding needs/wants - I'm currently running an All Season Sport/Touring Michelin tire in 175/60R15 up front, but I've tested/run many others from the range of sizes mentioned earlier, including Bridgestone, Coopers, Kumho, Yokohama, Toyo, Hankook, & more. Check out those recommended by others in your Country that you like the look & specs of & that'll fit, maybe with some minor tweaking of those fenders, & give it a go!!

Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    For front tires, you should be able to find a 155, 165, or 175/50, 55, or maybe even a 60 or 65 profile tire that'll fit under the fender (heck, some have even fitted 185's!! ) altho you might have to do some minor tweaking, like swapping to different head type screws or trimming the projecting ends of any screws that project into the wheel well; or possibly even add a couple of spacers/washers under the hub end fender mounting brackets to space the fenders/brackets away from the tire a little & give it enough room to slide in there - the placcy fender is flexible enough that the outer lip will generally lift to allow you to slide the top of the tire in first, then settle the rim onto the studs so that the tire fits - it only needs to JUST clear everything once in place.

The thing to be aware of is that just cos the tire you are looking at has a nominal size printed on the sidewall, it isn't necessarily going to be exactly that size - it should be somewhere near, but the real size of tires can vary a lot in same-nominally-sized tires between different manufacturers & even between different tire models/types made by the same manufacturer.... . So you need to compare things from each tire's actual specifications (& not just on an internet/generic size comparison table! ) things from their actual specs that actually relate to that tire's size - things like rolling radius, rolling diameter, circumference, or revs per mile... And in most countries/jurisdictions, the tire you choose doesn't hafta be exactly the same size either, just similar - only it should always match or exceed/better the load & speed ratings of the OE Spec tire; and if it's on the tire that drives the speed sensor for your speedo, it shouldn't be such a big change in size that your speedo ends up reading slower than the correct/true speed you are travelling at... only since just about every vehicle made since 1974 leaves the factory with speedo that reads anything up to 10% FASTER than your correct/true speed, there's usually a fair bit of scope there for saay a 10-15 mm or so larger rolling radius!

Just about every good name brand auto/car tire in a size that fits will work well on our Spyders if you run it at or near the right (lower) pressure for the (lighter) load our Spyders impose - just choose one that meets those criteria above & suits your particular ryding needs/wants - I'm currently running an All Season Sport/Touring Michelin tire in 175/60R15 up front, but I've tested/run many others from the range of sizes mentioned earlier, including Bridgestone, Coopers, Kumho, Yokohama, Toyo, Hankook, & more. Check out those recommended by others in your Country that you like the look & specs of & that'll fit, maybe with some minor tweaking of those fenders, & give it a go!!

Good Luck!
    with Peter, But I have a 175/65-15 Altimax RT 43 on my 2014 RT ..... I had to add washers and tweak the brackets a tad so they would fit ..... So I don't recommend that size, tires are usually Manufacturer SPECIFIC so another brand that size might fit fine , but why take the chance ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I just put 165/60/15 Continentals on the front of my 2015 Spider RT. I loosened the 4 fender bolts taking 3 of them out to lift the fender to put the wheel/tire on. They fit fine with good clearance once the wheel was in place. I may have been able to put the tire on without removing the fender. But if I cracked the fender or some crap I would have been pissed. The speedo maybe off 2-3 mph but I don't give a rats a$$.
    And there ya go.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by twocams View Post
    I just put 165/60/15 Continentals on the front of my 2015 Spider RT. I loosened the 4 fender bolts taking 3 of them out to lift the fender to put the wheel/tire on. They fit fine with good clearance once the wheel was in place. I may have been able to put the tire on without removing the fender. But if I cracked the fender or some crap I would have been pissed. The speedo maybe off 2-3 mph but I don't give a rats a$$.
    And there ya go.
    Well your speedo is off because of what you have on the REAR ..... that's where the sensor is connected .... it doesn't matter what size is on the front .....And there you go !!! .... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mike, I just assumed cause my other 5 bike run off the front wheel. Why shouldn't the Spider? It has the same factory tire on back. I was kinda going by a chart that was handy, showing these tires would run a different speed than the 165/55/15 that were on.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by twocams View Post
    Thanks Mike, I just assumed cause my other 5 bike run off the front wheel. Why shouldn't the Spider? It has the same factory tire on back. I was kinda going by a chart that was handy, showing these tires would run a different speed than the 165/55/15 that were on.
    Yep I hear ya ..... the problem with " generic charts " is they are Mathematically based ..... the EXACT same size tire, will vary ( sometimes by a lot ) from one manufacturer to another. ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-04-2021 at 06:15 PM. Reason: EACT = EXACT ;-)