Spyder Garage

Default What's best -Pulling a Camp Trailer, Motel-ing, or Camp-Cabining??

We did a fair amount of camping off my R1150GS years back.
    Now, in our 70's and on a Sea2Sky, we are once again taking the bike camping, but this time around doing the luxury of a camp trailer.
    My question is: Is it worth it, or are there opinions out there like motel-ing, camp-cabin, etc. that are a better option?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-06-2024 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2023 Sea2Sky

Spyder Garage

I have a leesure-lite and have enjoyed traveling and camping with it. Sometime you need to plan ahead to find a place to camp. Good Luck

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Spyder Garage

Thank you.
    We are looking at that brand very carefully. It seems to be the very easiest, quickest to set up, and best accommodating for two.
    They are about 6 hours from us just across the Washington/Canada border so planning a trip there to check them out
    I still have my old Sportster Coleman dual fuel stove for the hot drinks, and for the once in a while meal heater. We tend to eat out quite often on the road. (one of our pleasures)
    2023 Sea2Sky

Spyder Garage

IMHO.....You can rent a few years of touring at motels for the cost of a good pull behind camper. And, not be hindered by having that extra vehicle tagging along and increasing your travel expense (MPG). Depending upon your preferences, you can get motel rooms for little more than the cost of a campground space and have a bit more comfort. Motels are certainty more readily available than are campground spots. But all this doesn't matter if you WANT to camp and ENJOY the camping experience. So, I think motels are a better choice from a practical, economic standpoint. But camping may be a better choice from an adventure standpoint. Follow your head or follow your heart, whichever moves you the most! Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I've done a fair amount of motorcycle touring. I've camped with tents and trailers. As I've aged (85), I've learned to appreciate the convenience of swapping a few more dollars than campgrounds charge . . . for a large bed, air-conditioning, Color TV, and a bathroom a step away featuring a shower with unlimited hot water. Most motels now have a small refrigerator and a micro-wave. Some Mom & Pop motels give discounts when you pay in cash.

With that introduction, I'm hard-pressed to explain why I just purchased a used Travel Lite camper last month.

Maybe I'm not completely civilized - yet.
    Completed SCMC Four Corners Tour
    Rattlesnake 1,000
    Don Diego 400
    Cal 500 & 1,000
    Unicycled at South Pole, Antarctica
    Coldfoot, Alaska, to Cabo San Lucas
    4,000 mile Mexican tour to Yucatan Peninsula

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We pull a leesure-lite and stay at a motel from time to time. The costs and savings all the way around seem to average out to be about the same. Some like it one way and others like it the other way. To each their own, but the main thing is to enjoy your time alone or together. Just stay safe out there.

Spyder Garage

Early on, I did some camping with my 2-wheel bikes. It was fun, and genreally ok. Mrs. and I did some thinking and talking, about a pull behind camper for the Spyder. We were both ok with the idea of camping, and we are both ok with the idea of staying in B&B's and motels. Different experiences, and you have to take into account your preferences. Then we did the math, and it would have taken us about 6 years of trips for the camper to "pay for itself," the way we travel. So, with us not feeling very strongly one way or the other, we decided to keep the "motel" route, not knowing if we could, or want to, camp in the years ahead.

If you really enjoy camping, some of those pull behinds are really nice. It was a close decision for us.

I guess, kind of like Jim said above.
    2022 Sea to Sky

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Suppose you purchase a quality tent trailer (that in itself is up for debate) and maintain it properly. In that case, you can resell it recover some of your expenses, and make the entire experience more cost effective.