Spyder Garage

Default As a newbie to Spyders I have a question

I've owned my Spyder about 6 weeks and I am certainly comfortable riding it. My question is about the display and resetting the statistics. The owners manual just says that pressing the control button down will reset the statistics, i.e., the miles traveled on the trip meter, miles per gallon and top and average speed. But I am confused about how this actually works. While riding I switched to the second trip meter to measure a section of the route that I was on. The instant mpg worked normally, but the average mpg went down to something like 2.3 mpg and even after a lengthy time riding was reading 11.4 mpg, which makes no sense at all. If I don't touch anything after filling up with gas and resetting the trip meters everything seems to be okay. When you reset the odometer, obviously it does not wipe out the reading of total miles traveled, but the mpg is zeroed out. When it starts showing data again, it appears to be from that moment forward, not average based on total miles. What am I missing in all this?
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Welcome. It would nice if we knew which model and year. M1A or M16? The details differ, but they are both rifles. Get my drift?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

2021 Spyder RT.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Just entered myself in the garage. Not much to say about my stock RT. I didn't see anyplace to enter personal data like the fact that I have been riding for almost 40 years, that I was formerly an MSF Instructor, that I am retired U.S. Army and a Vietnam War veteran, married 55 years to the same wonderful woman, 5 kids and 12 grandkids.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    Just entered myself in the garage. Not much to say about my stock RT. I didn't see anyplace to enter personal data like the fact that I have been riding for almost 40 years, that I was formerly an MSF Instructor, that I am retired U.S. Army and a Vietnam War veteran, married 55 years to the same wonderful woman, 5 kids and 12 grandkids.

~~~Thanks for your service to our country Vito, it’s veterans like you that has kept America free

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while
    2020 Rally , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The statistics were and still are questionable about accuracy. Watch it and see how it goes, it might surprise you once you figure it out. Most don't use it other than to have a trip meter on the left instead of the total millage.

Make sure the dash firmware is up to date.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

After 11 months and 12,000 miles, I'm convinced the calculated numbers displayed by the trip meters are for entertainment purposes only.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

Everything seemed good on my stats until the last fill-up. Immediately leaving the station, I accelerated UP an on-ramp to 65 mph and merged into interstate traffic. In ECO mode. Somehow, my '21 RTL must have taken the fuel economy from instantaneous injector data and calculated my remaining distance at less than 100 miles (I had been getting about 200 miles or more previously). Remains to be seen if this gets corrected with further use, but in the 20 or so miles ridden after that it was still way off.

BRP Connect, the dark/light dash auto switching, now trip data. BRP needs some programming QC!

UPDATE: Today I rode, and the distance to empty changed to 230 miles as I left the house. That plus the 24 miles since fill-up? I took of gently and didn't get over 55. It shows a total of ~230 miles ridden plus distance to empty now.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c