Spyder Garage

Default Long distance highway tire pressures?

Ok ... The F3S is all loaded up and ready for a trip that will involve 1700 freeway miles, with speed limits of 65-80 mph. Particulars are:

Vredestein fronts currently at 16psi
    Cooper Ultra CS rear currently at 18psi

The bike will include loaded up Shad side bags, Pack Rack-56L top case and frunk. My geared up weight is 225# and no passenger. Wondering if I should bump up the psi a pound/two per tire to compensate for the higher speeds/load? I will be sandwiching the freeway portion with about 500 miles worth of "scenic" riding. Just wondering about a happy medium. Thoughts?

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Good to go, Be safe. Live to Ride, Ride to Live!! Enjoy your trip!!
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I think you are fine. As the tires heat up they will gain a few PSI anyway. Our trip to Nova Scotia involved two up and loaded for bear. 16 in the Federal fronts and 18 in the Altimax rear for that trip. All was well.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Those tires and the PSI's are fine just the way they are ..... ( and I'm a Tire guy ) ..... enjoy .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I would not change a thing. When touring the only time I fiddled with TP was when I went to higher altitudes for extended periods of time (a week or more). Constantly being above 5000 feet (Utah, Colorado) I would deflate 1-2 lbs. Then when coming down in elevation I would add the air back in. I didn't do this daily. Only when there was a big change in elevation for long periods of time. Have a great trip..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Those tires and the PSI's are fine just the way they are ..... ( and I'm a Tire guy ) ..... enjoy .... Mike
    The dealer set my Vredsteins at 15 lbs. and the Kumho at 28 lbs., "Tire guy" thoughts
    2018 F3 Limited , Black/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoSpyder View Post
    The dealer set my Vredsteins at 15 lbs. and the Kumho at 28 lbs., "Tire guy" thoughts
    28psi in the rear I found was too high and a cause of oversteering/understeering (I can's remember which). My book of truth says 28 psi, but my opinion/experience says that figure is for 2 up loaded ryding/touring. My 2020F3L is now set for 16-17 fronts and 22-23 rear. Rear may still be a little high. My tyre wear has been over 20k km rear, not quite down to the wear markers. Almost 30k km fronts being changes for a long tour coming up, but not down to the depth markers yet. Kendas of course. Keep smiling and don't wory too much because these are technically well above average bikes that are very forgiving.
    There is usually another way. 2020 F3Ltd.
    2020 F3 Ltd , Brake Pedel lowered. Liquid Titanium

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoSpyder View Post
    The Vredesteins are two lbs. less than I use, because I drive very aggressive in the twistie's , but 15 is fine .... it will improve the comfort feel of that tire .... But the Kumho at 28 is 10lbs more than my Pirelli at 18lbs psi .... and this will cause two things very Bad wet road handling and very un-forgiving ride ..... jhmo ... ( and probably Peter's also ) ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RazzleH View Post
    28psi in the rear I found was too high and a cause of oversteering/understeering (I can's remember which). My book of truth says 28 psi, but my opinion/experience says that figure is for 2 up loaded ryding/touring. My 2020F3L is now set for 16-17 fronts and 22-23 rear. Rear may still be a little high. My tyre wear has been over 20k km rear, not quite down to the wear markers. Almost 30k km fronts being changes for a long tour coming up, but not down to the depth markers yet. Kendas of course. Keep smiling and don't wory too much because these are technically well above average bikes that are very forgiving.
    Sorry but I dis-agree with everything you said ..... jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Sorry but I dis-agree with everything you said ..... jmho .... Mike
    WOW! Everything.
    There is usually another way. 2020 F3Ltd.
    2020 F3 Ltd , Brake Pedel lowered. Liquid Titanium