Spyder Garage

Default Just my experience to date with Q5 rear tire

Thought some might find this interesting. Spyder is 2014 RTL.
    Always riding 2 up (at higher end of limits )
    Tire pressure for Q5 is 16/17 range.

Replaced original with New Kenda rear at 12,111 miles, 3/32" tread total left
    Replaced 2nd Kenda at 14,939 miles on tire, Tread not noted for tire removed
    New Verdestein Q5 -installed at 27,050 miles, currently have 20,625 miles on tire, and current 4/32" tread depth total.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

I hope the newer version does as good in all respects.

My Q5 rear has 17,740 miles on it and the center is at 5/32 and the outside is over 5/32. Running 18 PSI so I may be slightly over inflated.

Fronts are Q5's with 15,436 miles and they are slightly over 8/32. Also running 18 PSI in them.

Do you think you will go with the newer style Vredestein when replacement time rolls around?
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post

I hope the newer version does as good in all respects.

My Q5 rear has 17,740 miles on it and the center is at 5/32 and the outside is over 5/32. Running 18 PSI so I may be slightly over inflated.

Fronts are Q5's with 15,436 miles and they are slightly over 8/32. Also running 18 PSI in them.

Do you think you will go with the newer style Vredestein when replacement time rolls around?
    Edmat, Yes.......unless "BlueKnight911" comes up with something better in his reviews
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    Edmat, Yes.......unless "BlueKnight911" comes up with something better in his reviews
    BlueKnight and Peter are the go to tire guys. They do a great job keeping us informed. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by teninospyder View Post
    Well in truth the New Michelin " Cross Climate " is rated very slightly higher .... However they have Size issues for Spyders ..... BUT the new " Q " tire from Vredestein looks very very promising ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    BlueKnight and Peter are the go to tire guys. They do a great job keeping us informed. Tom
    Well Thank You very much for that .... I'm sure Peter would say the same ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Just checked for new rear tire. Michelin Cross Climate is no longer made, replaced by Cross Climate 2, but not in 225 50 15. Also Vredestein Quarto 5 is not made in the same size.
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White
    2010 Can Am Spyder RT - Full Moon

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveandBelinda View Post
    Just checked for new rear tire. Michelin Cross Climate is no longer made, replaced by Cross Climate 2, but not in 225 50 15. Also Vredestein Quarto 5 is not made in the same size.
    If you limit yourself to ONLY a 225/50-15 " will do "..... then you are also limiting yourself to very few tires .... good luck ... Mike ....PS most folks here who have switched to Auto tires are using 215/60-15 or 205/60 or 65 -15 sizes with great success ....

Spyder Garage

That's very good mileage compared to my experience with the Q5 rear on my '20 RT. I replaced the all 3 OEM junkers with the Q5s at 1000 miles. I was down past the wear bars at ~12000 miles. 11000 miles is not what I was expecting based on the comments on this forum! I push the RT pretty hard but I don't do burn-outs. The fronts are still going strong at 17000 miles with lots of tread left.

I've since replaced the rear Q5 with an Altmax RT43. So far, my experience with the RT43 is that it's not as sticky as the Q5 was. The rear breaks loose much faster than the Q5 did and it's nowhere near as good in the rain. Hopefully, the trade-off will be longer tread life.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Wow, and some of you are running your rear tire at 18psi. I am running currently the Kuhmo Esta AST at 28psi. The last set of same tire I got about 22,000 out of it.

Spyder Garage

Wow, and some of you are running your rear tire at 18psi. I am running currently the Kuhmo Esta AST at 28psi. The last set of same tire I got about 22,000 out of it.
    Why? At that PSI it would be capable of supporting more than the total weight of the Spyder not t mention the harsher ride.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Seems to wear better, and I don't know anyone that runs the rear tire that low. Have had many conversations with friends and most of them run between 25-28. I would think that you wear the outer edges alot faster with that low of pressure. I heard someone on here say before that they run their front tires at 13-15. That's just crazy. I have always run the fronts at 18 and the rears at 28. I got 32,000 out of front tires before changing them, and they had quite a bit of tread left, just wanted to upgrade to the Vredestein, and really not that impressed with them, but they are still on.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Why? At that PSI it would be capable of supporting more than the total weight of the Spyder not t mention the harsher ride.
    .... I was going to say the same except you beat me to it .... ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Seems to wear better, and I don't know anyone that runs the rear tire that low. Have had many conversations with friends and most of them run between 25-28. I would think that you wear the outer edges alot faster with that low of pressure. I heard someone on here say before that they run their front tires at 13-15. That's just crazy. I have always run the fronts at 18 and the rears at 28. I got 32,000 out of front tires before changing them, and they had quite a bit of tread left, just wanted to upgrade to the Vredestein, and really not that impressed with them, but they are still on.
    If you don't trust what I know about tires .... then ask Peter what He thinks about your theory .... good luck .... Mike