Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Newbie Question about handling

We just bought a 2021 RTL this past Thursday. They were both 900 lb cruisers so we are accustomed to large and heavy motorcycles. It was a white knuckle drive the 50 miles home from the dealer. There was a strong cross wind and the RTL was absolutely squirrelly in the way it handled. Any little steering input made it feel like I was driving a jet ski or a car that has several inches of play in the steering. The way it wiggles around in the rear as the passenger feels it is absolutely unnerving to my wife.
    From what I have been reading in this and other forums seems to be an upgraded sway bar and better shocks that the stock items. Is it possible that BRP thinks this is acceptable handling because they come from the snow mobile world?
    I am looking for anything to make this handle better. I have already ordered a Baja Ron sway bar. What have others done to mitigate this?

Spyder Garage

First thing you got to do is check your tire pressures, make sure there up where they should be and give or take a lb from each other on front! Then get back on your ride and put some miles under your butt, and relax your grip and don't fight the ride! You are going to feel every thing in the road and it is easy to over steer, it's touchy, it will go were you point it! Before you go and spend all this money you should put some more miles on it, it will take at least 1000 miles to begin to get comfortable with it, then decide what you need! Sway bars, shocks, tires, on and on, there are pages on pages of post on here on that subject! Good luck you will get it and Welcome to the Spyder Family!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

The first thing you do is put about a thousand careful miles on the bike before you start changing anything. I've been on two wheels over 50 years (still am) and when we bought our Spyder RT I thought I was going to die before I made it home. There IS a learning curve, especially if you are coming from two wheels. It took me around a thousand miles to START feeling comfortable. Upgrades I have done over time have been car tires, swaybar, and shock stiffeners. These all helped the ride and handling a lot, but WERE NOT a replacement for getting in some miles and adjusting to the very different ride.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

This is normal, your just not used to the amount of input is required to control the bike. These are very sensitive, it is like flying an airplane where you only use finger tip inputs and trying to man handle it causes over input pressures making it worse. Just go ride, you will get the feel for it as to the amount of the input you will require. I had the same issue. The newer 2020/2021 do not need the sway bars.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

with #2 & #3 above. .... Two wheel experience is actually a detriment to driving any Spyder. The Spyder drives just like a car ( minus one wheel ). Also I recommend learning to drive it ALONE, no passenger. I went from 55+ years on two wheels to my first Spyder and had almost no issues because I was told " to drive it like a car ". It did take about a year before I could " drive it like I stole it ". Learning to drive anything is going to take many miles - learning to drive Fast with confidence is going to take longer. .... keep practicing, you will feel better after 1000 or so miles ....Ask questions, we're here to help..... PS Spyders actually handle handle pretty well box stock...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Unanimous thus far! It's not the Spyder but a new, inexperienced Spyder driver; not your fault either, just common behavior. YOU have to get YOUR experience miles; they may be more or less than others who have gone through the same process. Good luck!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I agree with everything said above, particularly about the tire pressures in the crapendas. Another thing is to get a laser alignment ASAP. No guarantee that the tires are aligned properly coming from the dealer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    First thing you got to do is check your tire pressures, make sure there up where they should be and give or take a lb from each other on front! Then get back on your ride and put some miles under your butt, and relax your grip and don't fight the ride! You are going to feel every thing in the road and it is easy to over steer, it's touchy, it will go were you point it! Before you go and spend all this money you should put some more miles on it, it will take at least 1000 miles to begin to get comfortable with it, then decide what you need! Sway bars, shocks, tires, on and on, there are pages on pages of post on here on that subject! Good luck you will get it and Welcome to the Spyder Family!!!
    Ok I just checked the tire pressures and they were low. Label says FR/FL/Rear 20/20/28 and they were 18.6/16.7/26.5. So I put them at exactly what the sticker said and there is an improvement, but not as precise as what I have been accustomed to. Any movement of either person on the bike changes the direction of travel. Guess I will have to see after I get the sway bar installed. Thanks for suggesting checking the tire pressure.

It looks like it is consensus that I also need to go get used to the Spyder. I also have been riding two wheels for 50+ years and might need to unlearn some habits.

Spyder Garage

I went from two wheels for 50 years to the Spyder and thought at first that I had made a big mistake selling my Concours C14. After about 1000 miles I was getting more comfortable but it seemed twitchy no matter how loose I held the bars. Replaced OEM Kenda's with Kanines and had it lazer aligned. What a difference. Love it now. Not two wheel experience but close enough. Do not regret my decision now one bit. Hang in there and get it lazer aligned if it hasn't been. Many dealerships don't have lazer alignment and nothing else works. Enjoy! Now for me the next step is a Stage II ECU flash.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TomTom View Post
    Any movement of either person on the bike changes the direction of travel. .
    I think what is happening to you happens to many of us when we first start riding a spyder. You are having the perception of the bike changing the direction of travel more than the actual fact. When you try and correct for this perception it gets worse.

My first ride on an interstate comes to mind. I was sure I was going to die and had already made plans to rid myself of this evil demon as soon as I could, if I could get home and hoping I would not loose over $5,000 in the process. Yes it was that bad. Had 400 miles of interstate. I started remembering what had I read on this forum. Lighten up the grip, no need to correct for something I felt if it was not causing a problem. I made it. Decided to keep it. Now on the interstate I normally set the cruise control and have one hand on the bars.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

i never heard of the laser alignment Baron14y, thats good info... coming from riding baggers for many years I'm on a spyder now. riding at higher speeds I'm still working on

bobbyj

Spyder Garage

Ok I just checked the tire pressures and they were low. Label says FR/FL/Rear 20/20/28 and they were 18.6/16.7/26.5. So I put them at exactly what the sticker said and there is an improvement, but not as precise as what I have been accustomed to. Any movement of either person on the bike changes the direction of travel. Guess I will have to see after I get the sway bar installed. Thanks for suggesting checking the tire pressure.

It looks like it is consensus that I also need to go get used to the Spyder. I also have been riding two wheels for 50+ years and might need to unlearn some habits.
    There are several dealers not too far from you that do laser alignment. Orlando, Jacksonville, Brooksville and others. Look up Rolo alignment and you'll find them.

Spyder Garage

I strongly agree with those that say put a thousand miles on it before making changes because by the time you get those miles on it you will feel much, much more comfortable on it. I would the following too:
    1. The manual states no more than .5 lbs difference between left and right tires so air pressure is very important part of the handling.
    2 Wait to have a passenger until after you have 1,000 solo miles under your belt. Your passenger will thank you for it.
    3. Having just gone thru what your going thru 4 months ago I know how you are feeling, it does get better, way better. I now have 5,000 miles on mine and I’d say I’m 90% comfortable with the handling now. Still working on mastering high speed curves. I’m also still a little uncomfortable when passing at higher speeds on a two lane road that is crowned. Bike still feels somewhat unstable in that situation but I know it is much more just a sensation than actual instability.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    The first thing you do is put about a thousand careful miles on the bike before you start changing anything. I've been on two wheels over 50 years (still am) and when we bought our Spyder RT I thought I was going to die before I made it home. There IS a learning curve, especially if you are coming from two wheels. It took me around a thousand miles to START feeling comfortable. Upgrades I have done over time have been car tires, swaybar, and shock stiffeners. These all helped the ride and handling a lot, but WERE NOT a replacement for getting in some miles and adjusting to the very different ride.
    I rate this a very good answer. Accurate and very descriptive of not only my learning curve. But just about everyone who is coming off a lifetime of 2 wheel riding. Not that everyone else has not had great advise. This one just hit me as right on the money. Especially for a new rider who is concerned that they just purchased the worst ride of their life.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 08-01-2021 at 01:17 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Hello all,

Much like the OP I brought home a 2017 F3-S on 7/19, 4300 miles and in very nice condition. After 50 years of motorcycles this is my first Spyder and this is my first post. Don't mean to hijack this thread and I thank the OP for opening the door for me, sort of...
    Anyway, I had never sat on a Spyder prior to the purchase, after the seller and I agreed to terms I rode it for a little bit on the grounds of her property, handlebars were just right, good seat, pegs a little too far back, brake pedal and shifter way too high for me. I'll address the shifter and brake pedal problem asap.
    Rode home mostly in rain for about 60 miles and I must say I felt pretty comfortable, way more so than I would have been in a motorcycle under the same conditions. My big issue is slow corners in town where the Spyder understeers quite bit. I push the outside bar but struggle to direct the Spyder where I want to go, all the while with little or no throttle. At road speeds I do not notice such understeer, however I do experience some sideways motion but I was prepared for it, as I read numerous post and watched a few videos. I also relax my grip as much as I can and let the Spyder do its thing.
    Any experienced rider please chime in with any advice, chances are I'm doing something wrong on those slow corners. I checked the tire pressures: 18 front, 25 rear. The tires are nearly new, nothing on the bike seems to be out of order. Don't know, but I'm trying to find out is the Spyder had a recent alignment. I really enjoy the Spyder, other than the understeer it's been awesome.

Spyder Garage

IMHO ( with over 100,000 mi. on three spyders ) a Sway is NOT going to FIX your issue. Plenty of folks with the OEM sway bars are NOT having a similar experience. The advice above about your " alignment " is a good one. ... We here have learned that Spyders come from the Factory with way less than perfect alignment. Having the correct tire PSI improved it some, but before paying over $ 300.00 I would make sure the alignment is correct. .... The ONLY way to a perfect alignment is by someone who can do it using " Lazer's " not all dealers will or can do it this way. ... but there are independents who do it.... As an example I have had my Spyders over 100 MPH and could let go of the handlebars and NOT experience what you are, however All three spyders had Lazer alignments done ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jma57 View Post
    Hello all,

Much like the OP I brought home a 2017 F3-S on 7/19, 4300 miles and in very nice condition. After 50 years of motorcycles this is my first Spyder and this is my first post. Don't mean to hijack this thread and I thank the OP for opening the door for me, sort of...
    Anyway, I had never sat on a Spyder prior to the purchase, after the seller and I agreed to terms I rode it for a little bit on the grounds of her property, handlebars were just right, good seat, pegs a little too far back, brake pedal and shifter way too high for me. I'll address the shifter and brake pedal problem asap.
    Rode home mostly in rain for about 60 miles and I must say I felt pretty comfortable, way more so than I would have been in a motorcycle under the same conditions. My big issue is slow corners in town where the Spyder understeers quite bit. I push the outside bar but struggle to direct the Spyder where I want to go, all the while with little or no throttle. At road speeds I do not notice such understeer, however I do experience some sideways motion but I was prepared for it, as I read numerous post and watched a few videos. I also relax my grip as much as I can and let the Spyder do its thing.
    Any experienced rider please chime in with any advice, chances are I'm doing something wrong on those slow corners. I checked the tire pressures: 18 front, 25 rear. The tires are nearly new, nothing on the bike seems to be out of order. Don't know, but I'm trying to find out is the Spyder had a recent alignment. I really enjoy the Spyder, other than the understeer it's been awesome.
    If your Spyder still has OEM Kenda tires try 20-21 front and 28 rear..... this may help with the understeer ..... However I suggest getting Auto tires after the Kenda's wear out ..... You will love this improvement ... annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd + ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I bought a brand new 2021 RTL a couple months ago. Now have a little over 2500 miles on it. After 123537 miles racked up on the GL1800, Yes it is different. But I had to get used to it over the preceding SEi and GL1000 before that. Almost every one of the suggestions for changes to the bike that you have read have been from pre-2020 riders. The RTL geometry has changed and you should take that into account.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    If your Spyder still has OEM Kenda tires try 20-21 front and 28 rear..... this may help with the understeer ..... However I suggest getting Auto tires after the Kenda's wear out ..... You will love this improvement ... annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd + ..... Mike
    Thank you!

Yes, still has the Kenda tires. I will try your suggestion and have laser aligned as soon as I can.

Spyder Garage

I personally like my stock tires at 18 psi for the front and 25 for the rear.

With 20 psi in the fronts I thought it was too twitchy. (is that a word? lol)
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jma57 View Post
    Hello all,

Shooting in the dark here. But you might see if this helps.

When I first got my Spyder, I found myself looking at the front wheels and where they were tracking, at slow speeds. Kind of unconsciously. I think it was because they were so prominent, unlike on 2 wheels. I also found it difficult to go where I wanted to go. Trying different things so solve this issue, I started looking farther ahead, as I did at speed. And this solved my problem. Hope this helps.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

For me one thing no one has mentioned is this. When I first got my 2020 rtl especially at freeway speeds when I shifted my body (riding position) even the slightest it always felt like the bike shifted as well. It is a perception issue. The bike never shifted but your bodies spacael (sp) awareness does. Once if figured this out I played around with this on the freeway to prove to myself it was a feeling and not an actual movement. There are lots of threads on cornering and they helped me greatly. Once I had around 1000 miles I did the lazer align, baja rons bar, car tires and it did make a difference but the difference was easier to feel since I had seat time.

Spyder Garage

I have just achieved 3000+ miles on my 2021 RTL and really like it. I find the bike to be very stable as is…particularly compared to the 2014 and 2018 RTL’s I have ridden. Maybe its just me but I had no problem transitioning from 2-wheels to a trike and now to a Spyder.
    I think the design changes they made beginning with the 2020 model made a big difference in the handling. I also think mind-set has a lot to do with transitioning between vehicles…
    I made up my mind to respect that this thing handles differently from the other 2 modes of bike…so use a light hand, don’t panic, and put some miles on at speeds you can be comfortable with.
    I did put on some comfort items: Helibars, driver backrest, foam over-grips.
    I don’t plan to do any sway bar, shocks, etc changes unless it becomes obviously needed…but when the OEM Kenda tires wear out I will put something different on.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

I also purchased a 2021 RTL this year. I know what your going through, Purchased a Baja Ron Sway bar, WOW WHAT A BIG DIFFERENCE. Installed at 800 miles now have 2200 miles on bike.

Love this bike now in corners and straight a ways. My wife did not like bike at first but loves it now.

Spyder Garage

Just got back Sunday from picking up my first Spyder, a 2019 RTL, and driving it 1500 miles home. And ditto to all of the above comments.

The one other observation I can add as a fellow newbie with 50+ years on two wheels is that I fought, and am still fighting, muscle memory. The desire to counter-steer and relax the inner turn knee, as on a two wheeler, was near terrifying the first 500 miles. The visual cues from the seat of my RTL is very similar to a GL1800 and my sub-conscious was/is playing off of this familiar environment.

Pushing off with the outside foot on the floorboard/peg and putting pressure on the tank with the inner knee is something that has converted me from wanting to sell it after 700 miles to now satisfied with my purchase. I still need more work on my skills, but at least I can keep it in the middle of the turn and enjoy the ride.