Spyder Garage

Default frunk cable off/broken at the ign switch! Any fix suggestions?

my frunk cable came off or broke at the switch. It's okay at the frunk latch. I sure don't want to take the handlebars and everything that goes with it , but I know there is no other way. Any suggestions

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Speaking from my model since I have no idea what you own.

But on my RT I went thru the headlights and took the 4 bolts off at the handlebars to get to the switch.

In fact I have to do it again at some point since I mixed up the cables to the switch.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseologist View Post
    my frunk cable came off or broke at the switch. It's okay at the frunk latch. I sure don't want to take the handlebars and everything that goes with it , but I know there is no other way. Any suggestions
    IMHO the ignition switch ( ie frunk cable connection ) should not have been used to do anything other than start and stop your engine.... Soon after I bought my 2014 RT. I dis-connected that cable and made a separate new cable to open the Frunk... it has worked flawlessly ever since. ... after reporting here how I did it many others have followed. Do a search there are many pics video's of how it's done cost about $2.00..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Like BlueKnight911, I refuse to use the key to open the frunk and the seat. I have read too many "my cable broke" horror posts, so like Mike, I attached wires to the latches and have a small black pull on the ends. I tuck them where they are not noticed.

This is the frunk latch.
    SAFETY CABLE.jpg
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    Like BlueKnight911, I refuse to use the key to open the frunk and the seat. I have read too many "my cable broke" horror posts, so like Mike, I attached wires to the latches and have a small black pull on the ends. I tuck them where they are not noticed.

This is the frunk latch.
    SAFETY CABLE.jpg
    Thanks for the pic ..... to the OP, the pic is of the SEAT latch not the frunk latch .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Thanks for the pic ..... to the OP, the pic is of the SEAT latch not the frunk latch .... Mike
    Au contriare mon ami.
    Check below the latch - see the fuse boxes?
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I don't know if you can accomplish my method without already having the frunk open but here is how I did my emergency release. Reading other posts about this, there are a variety of ways to do it. I don't think any one is right or wrong, so pick which works best for your comfort level.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

I replaced my seat cable once, what a bloody mess I was getting that darn thing back on the switch!! Never again, next time fishing line!!! I know, what am I waiting for, do it now!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

..... Yes quite correct, I haven't looked at a FRUNK latch for a V-twin Spyder in many years .... but the mechanism looks exactly like my SEAT latch on my 14 RT ...... Mike