Spyder Garage

Default Horn not working! Anything simple to look for??

Just realized today that my horn is not working. I don’t see a fuse listed in the owner’s manual or on the fuse box covers. Every other function is working on the bike. Before I get home and start tearing things apart, is there anything simple I could be looking for first? The horn button feels and sounds normal when pushed.

I keep wondering if the dealership might have left something unplugged when they tore down everything a few months ago for the engine work.
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARNIE R View Post
    Just realized today that my horn is not working. I don’t see a fuse listed in the owner’s manual or on the fuse box covers. Every other function is working on the bike. Before I get home and start tearing things apart, is there anything simple I could be looking for first? The horn button feels and sounds normal when pushed.

I keep wondering if the dealership might have left something unplugged when they tore down everything a few months ago for the engine work.
    Make sure the wries are on it .... then check the Relay, you can swap with another one in the fuse box to check ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Make sure the wries are on it .... then check the Relay, you can swap with another one in the fuse box to check ..... Mike
    Was wondering which relay it might be as I did not see any indication of a horn circuit listed in the owner' manual or fuse box covers.

Trying to search the service manual now for that info.
    2014 ST-S Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Was wondering which relay it might be as I did not see any indication of a horn circuit listed in the owner' manual or fuse box covers.

Trying to search the service manual now for that info.
    Arnie, I think you should first locate the horn itself. It should be behind that black plastic grille below the mirror on the left side. If it's the OEM horn, it is wired directly to the horn switch...no relay involved. If it's an aftermarket horn, it will have a relay located nearby (not in the fuse/relay boxes). The troubleshooting process will differ depending on which setup you have.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Arnie, I think you should first locate the horn itself. It should be behind that black plastic grille below the mirror on the left side. If it's the OEM horn, it is wired directly to the horn switch...no relay involved. If it's an aftermarket horn, it will have a relay located nearby (not in the fuse/relay boxes). The troubleshooting process will differ depending on which setup you have.
    Will do that. Raining here today so it will be a good project - and hopefully a short one.
    2014 ST-S Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Will do that. Raining here today so it will be a good project - and hopefully a short one.
    Arnie, keep in mind I have an RT rather than an ST, so accessing the horn may be different on yours, but I'm pretty sure the horn circuitry will be the same.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Great advise here. Many times service that requires removing the horn wire connections never get replaced. Having had extensive surgery on your Spyder, this is very likely the cause.

Horns are pretty bullet proof. This might be all that is required. The relay being the next place to look.

Good Luck!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

The fuse is F5 in the right fuse box. 20 amp. There is no relay in the horn circuit. The heated grips are also on the same fuse. Likely would not notice if they are not working this time of year.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Well, this turned out to be an easy fix.

Pulled the body panels near the horn and discovered one of the horn connections pulled off. Also noticed the wiring harness wire ties along the frame were all cut and not replaced and the wiring not placed into their respective clips. Obviously, when they did the engine work, they had to pull away or remove some wiring and simply failed to check that everything was properly put back in place.

All is back in service now.
    2014 ST-S Cognac

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Pulled the body panels near the horn and discovered one of the horn connections pulled off. Also noticed the wiring harness wire ties along the frame were all cut and not replaced and the wiring not placed into their respective clips. Obviously, when they did the engine work, they had to pull away or remove some wiring and simply failed to check that everything was properly put back in place.

Your welcome ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

A very nice way to put it. Glad it was a simple fix.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...