Spyder Garage

Default Starting without Frunk attached got Codes P0113, P2228, & P0000 - frunk on, sorted!

I am just posting this as a reference to others that come after me. It may be well known to some and documented here but I will add my own notes to the collective knowledge here at Spyder Lovers.

This work was done on a 2010 Spyder RTS with 69880 km on the clock. I wanted to replace the plugs in this engine and give it a good look over. I replaced the headlights with LED and the Fog lights as well. I replaced the two Vacuum hoses on the MAPS sensor. I will change the coolant as well when done.

I don't think this bike has had a lot of "love" given to it in its 11 years on the road. Certainly people have been into it and have done their fair share of butchery to the plastics and electrical. I correct things as I go. I don't think preventative maintenance was big with previous owners.

So I got the plastics off both sides and realized the Frunk had to come off as well. That came off without issue and was set aside. The plugs were replaced and all the while I kept thinking that I should replace the plug wires as well. Apparently they have high failure rated with age.

I decided to start the bike up to make sure there were no issues with the plug wires and no skipping or sputtering of the engine. When I started it up, the ENGINE light came on right away and filled the screen with a lovely shade of orange. I shut it off and waited a minute and tried again. Same thing.

I revealed the active codes using the "Mode - Set - Turn cancel" method (push all at the same time). The screen revealed the following:

P0113 - Manifold air pressure sensor 1 circuit High
    P2228 - Ambient air pressure sensor shorted to ground
    P0000 - (could not find this error code)

I checked my new vacuum hoses - all was good. I thought I might have gotten some of the sound deadening foam that was crumbling and raining down in the airbox as I reinstalled it. I was meticulous in keeping the airbox clean before its cover went back on. I made sure none got in the throttle body either.

I then remembered something I noticed when installing the LED fog lights... there were extra connectors going to the Frunk I could not account for. Could there be sensors in the Frunk? Apparently the answer is yes! I got the Frunk back on with all the wires plugged back in and just like that the errors are gone after a few starts.

I wish I had the time to order in new plug wires but we're heading out on vacation with the Spyder for the first time next week. I had to start getting this thing back together. Just a short 3 day trip to evaluate whether we're going to keep it or not. I never want to have to go back that deep into this machine again.

Anyhow, thought this might help someone down the road.

Tim
    Current - 2010 Spyder RTS

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
    2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
    ___

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please check out my pics!!

Spyder Garage

Plug in all the connections you disconnected, start the Spyder and the codes should disappear. Don't ask how I know.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Plug in all the connections you disconnected, start the Spyder and the codes should disappear. Don't ask how I know.
    Yep, been there, done that.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The ambient air pressure/temperature sensor is located in the right air tunnel of the frunk. The ECM is not happy if it is not connected.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Wanted to thank you for posting this. I just did the plugs, wires, canisterectomy, fuel lines, crankcase vent hose, and epic battle with the air box. Air filter in the bike was mfg in 2011 so was original oem. Bike has 10k on a 2012. Anyway I got impatient and fired it up to see if cleaning the throttle body cleared up the slightly lumpy idle (it did) but I got all the codes you did and had a panic attack! So once again you, and this forum, have normalized my blood pressure! ��
    2012 RT-S , BajaRon's plugs and wires 1" spacer Silver

Spyder Garage

I just did this changed plugs cleaned injectors started it up threw codes thanks for the post.