Spyder Garage

Default Changed to a 215/60/15 on a RSS. Shock clearance concern

I just installed my new tire. Cooper Cs5 Ultra touring. This is a taller tire as we know.
    But wow is it close the the shock flange on the bottom. See the pictures.
    Can I rotate the flange to the front? Kinda looks like I have to.20210731_151505.jpg

Spyder Garage

Any clearance more than about 1/8th of an inch should be fine - both the shock & the wheel have fixed mounting points that shouldn't get any closer during operation!

But you might want to keep an eye on that flange if you ever drop your belt tension?! Is that an adjustable rear shock?
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Any clearance more than about 1/8th of an inch should be fine - both the shock & the wheel have fixed mounting points that shouldn't get any closer during operation!

But you might want to keep an eye on that flange if you ever drop your belt tension?! Is that an adjustable rear shock?
    .... I put that same size on my 08GS and 14 RSS and nevr had any problems ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I also used that same tire and size on my 2014 RT with no issues and was very happy with the results to boot.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys. I did rotate the shock. I hit a good bump on the way to work. Heard a loud bang.
    Can't tell if the flange hit the swingarm. Or maybe things just settled. I will keep a eye on it.
    One thing I noticed is the taller tire did change the final gearing slightly. I found that it used to rev rather high around 50-55 km/h. Making a shift to 3rd to cruise at 60km/h the revs were always to low so I sped a lot.
    Now in 2nd at 55 km/h revs are happy around 4200rpm. 60km/h around 5000 if don't shift to 3rd.
    That and you do sit higher up slightly.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by deadboltdon View Post
    Thanks guys. I did rotate the shock. I hit a good bump on the way to work. Heard a loud bang.
    Can't tell if the flange hit the swingarm. Or maybe things just settled. I will keep a eye on it.
    One thing I noticed is the taller tire did change the final gearing slightly. I found that it used to rev rather high around 50-55 km/h. Making a shift to 3rd to cruise at 60km/h the revs were always to low so I sped a lot.
    Now in 2nd at 55 km/h revs are happy around 4200rpm. 60km/h around 5000 if don't shift to 3rd.
    That and you do sit higher up slightly.
    Well actually the 215 is slightly larger in circumference ( which is what makes your speedo more accurate ) so that rear tire is moving slower than the OEM Kenda ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I couldn't get the shock to mount with the flange forward. I think Yours hit. JMHO I'd rather grind it a little than hit the swing arm. I'm also put on a dark side tire. Do You run at the same pressure?

Steve