Spyder Garage

Default Is it possible to display other ph apps on BRP Connect?

I didn't buy my Spyder on the basis of it offering "BRP Connect" but it seemed like a nice feature. Maybe its me but it seems to be less useful that it appears. Loading the BRP app on my phone I see that I have a choice of Music, Maps and Genius Maps. The Genius Maps display on the Spyder's screen is not very useful, and far poorer than any other navigation system or program that I have ever dealt with. Is it possible to display other apps on my phone, such as Waze or Google Maps on the Spyder's screen using BRP Connect? If that can be done, I would greatly appreciate some guidance as to how to accomplish that.

I am in the process of getting a phone mount so that I can have my phone screen visible to me and connected to the bike for charging and assuming that once that is done I will not need to even consider BRP Connect, but I would still like that option.

Any advice on this matter would be appreciated.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Go onto the BRP Connect User Group on Facebook. Admin is Susan Cole. That's the best of the best for use of BRP-C.

We don't use it for many reasons, mainly reliability, visibility and ease of use.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

I don't use the Spyder screen to display the limited apps that are available. I have my phone mounted on the handlebars. Also a usb power plug beside it, to keep it charged up. Do not use the BRP Connect app on the phone or plug in the cable. But the phone is paired with the dash and headset is paired with the dash. This actually works vey well for me. For gps I use Waze and for tunes I use XM app. Telephony functions work very well.

Play with it. See what works for you.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I don't use the Spyder screen to display the limited apps that are available. I have my phone mounted on the handlebars. Also a usb power plug beside it, to keep it charged up. Do not use the BRP Connect app on the phone or plug in the cable. But the phone is paired with the dash and headset is paired with the dash. This actually works vey well for me. For gps I use Waze and for tunes I use XM app. Telephony functions work very well.

Play with it. See what works for you.
    Wonder why you don't use the USB connection in the "glove box" that is there for BRP Connect? Won't it charge your phone even if not using the BRP app?
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Reliability is piss poor! it unpares itself whenever it feels like. And BRP has no idea how to fix it. Overly complicated and confusing! Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    Wonder why you don't use the USB connection in the "glove box" that is there for BRP Connect? Won't it charge your phone even if not using the BRP app?
    Because that cable automatically tries to connect you to BRPC at startup, Vito. I was sitting on the trike this morning, talking to a few mates on zoom (we are in lockdown), and my phone ran out of battery. I plugged it into ‘that” cable and switched the RT on (didn’t start it), next thing I know BRPC has taken full control of the phone and locked it up.

I’m going to have a bit of a fiddle with pairings along the lines of BillyBovines suggestions above. I want to be able to use my XT for GPS as it is way ahead of Sygic’s fully paid option

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

There are several reason I do not plug into the Spyder data cable.

It locks the phone to a black screen. So no point mounting it on the handlebars.
    The F3 has the usb data cable in the glove box. AKA Pizza Oven. On a warm day my phone would go into overheat mode. It stops charging and slows down.
    The only apps you can use are the ones compatible with BRP Connect. I want to use Waze, Sirius XM, Gas Buddy and many others. None are available on BRP Connect.
    Also like having my phone available on the handlebars. If I want to stop and take a quick picture of something interesting.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I thought it only causes a black screen on the phone if you are using the BRP Connect app. When I tried plugging in my phone but did not turn on the BRP app, the phone appeared normal, and charging.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

You may be correct. The app may lock the screen. But plugging in the usb cable auto starts the Connect app. At least it does on my phone. That can be stopped with a data blocker adapter. It just easier to install a USB charge port in a convenient location with more power. I believe the usb cable on the Spyder is usb 2 with 2.5 watts max. The cheap charger I wired in from Amazon is 10 watts.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

This is the double USB port I added to mine. It runs directly from the battery so I can use it at any time.

IMG_6725.jpg

You may be correct. The app may lock the screen. But plugging in the usb cable auto starts the Connect app. At least it does on my phone. That can be stopped with a data blocker adapter. It just easier to install a USB charge port in a convenient location with more power. I believe the usb cable on the Spyder is usb 2 with 2.5 watts max. The cheap charger I wired in from Amazon is 10 watts.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

I thought it only causes a black screen on the phone if you are using the BRP Connect app. When I tried plugging in my phone but did not turn on the BRP app, the phone appeared normal, and charging.
    I thought the same as you, Vito……..until yesterday when I did nothing more than plug the phone in and turn the key. When I looked back at the screen, it was blacked out with the faint white cable outline. BRPC is great when it works, but it is just too flakey in its current iteration.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I’m lucky in that my glove box in my RT doesn’t get too hot, Billy. I have a USB port at the base of my bars that I plug the iPhone into, and drop it into my glove box (the cable is thin enough to not to interfere). The Zumo XT then acts as my hub and can do everything BRPC does, with the exception of actually looking at FOBO, but without ever dropping connections…..and FOBO will give me an audible warning if there is a tyre problem anyway. Plus, the XT screen is much larger and more visible than BRPC

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The main reason Waze and Google Maps don't work with BRP C app is they require cell service for map data. Sygic and Genius are great and I have no problems with either of them Rever has changed and can be used for navigation as well as tracking. Still a bit quirky. I love Dash radio and Apple Music Radio and when I'm in the mountains I enjoy my downloaded music. Don't need anything else. Although it is nice to get alerted about low tire pressure.

If you want to use the USB for just power then get a data blocker.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

There really isn't any need to waste your time, get a charger hooked up and use a good mount for your phone. I really wish they had just skipped this particular "feature" or set it up with CarPlay.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    There really isn't any need to waste your time, get a charger hooked up and use a good mount for your phone. I really wish they had just skipped this particular "feature" or set it up with CarPlay.
    I know quite a few that have the new Honda Goldwings and don't like Apple Car Play. Complicated and the navigation is separate and expensive to update. Plus it seems that ACP needs a larger screen.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

So, if you don't like/use BRP-C, why not just uninstall it? That's what I did and never have an issue with my phone plugged into the USB in the glove. I did have to cut the green and white wires on my Garmin USB cable (I have a few cables) to keep the GPS from seeing the computer, but no big deal... neither my GPS or my phone gives me issue with the USB port now.
    2007 V Star Classic - sold
    2012 Spyder RTS SE5 - sold
    2020 Indian 100th Anniversary Scout
    2021 Spyder RT LTD

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You are 100 percent correct. If you are not going to us BRP connect, uninstall the app and then plug the phone in for charging. BRP connect cant do anything to your phone if you do not have the app installed.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Yes. If the app is not installed on your phone. The screen will not black out when plugged into the dash usb. That still leaves the problem of what to do with the phone. In the glove box. Can't see it or get to it quickly. Mount the phone where you can see it. Run cord from glove box. Glove box lid won't close. Wind blows it open. Cable flopping around in the wind. Route extension cable from glove box under the body work from glove box to phone. If you are going to do that much work. Just install a usb power only plug.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I use mine from time to time. I just installed a data blocker on can easily pull off and on. That way I can just use that USB in the dash to charge without data turning on the app when I plug it in. Then if I do need the app I just pull off the data blocker. These are great in airports and any public place you plug your phone in. https://www.amazon.com/Blocker-BrexL...915663&sr=8-13
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I truthfully have very few problems with BRP connect, I use it everytime I am on the bike. Are there things that could be improved, yes of course! I do like that FOBO has updated the ap so that all of the older units will now sync with the new app and with BRP connect. That saved me from buying new units.

I don't like how the only way you an update your firmware on the FOBO units is with an apple phone, I do not have one and have to have a friend do it for me.

All things have glitches, the Garmin gps on the 2015 would start to play music in fast forward every now and then. At first I would have to shut down the GPS and reboot to get it to stop, then I learned that all I had to do is touch it and make it repeat the upcoming turn and it would go back to normal playing. My SENA headsets sometimes have to be turned off and back on to sync with each other and stay clear. My watch doesn't always sync with my phone and every now and then will require a restart. My 2014 SRX has the cue sytem in it that sometimes will lock up, it sets there for a few min and then resets itself. In the 2019 pickup I have the Connect system that has a mind of its own, sometimes the volume goes up on itsown, so you turn it down and it then goes back to the lower volume setting and you have to turn it back up. When I have my phone connected to it i can make hands free calls, but then when it is connecte with android auto it cant find my contacts half of the time.

Technology is great until it can't do what we want or expect it to do!
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I have a dedicated Gramin GPS and can mount my phone on the bars and power everything with this setup.
    well can't seem to load the pics, but I have the handle bar ram mount (plug and play) with the dual USB on one side and the 12 VDC socket on the other. Then mount my water proof GPS case and have a separate phone mount. Best of both worlds I can run the GPS and use my phone for other things.
    2021 Sea to Sky , cyclops light, front fender light/turn signal, rear run/brake/ turn signal LED strip, BRP floor board light Green

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    If you want to use the USB for just power then get a data blocker.
    Thanks Flamewinger…..I had never thought of a data blocker for that USB port.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.