Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Wife’s butt falls asleep on 2021 RTL seat. Got any suggestions?

Wife can’t ride more then 25 miles without having to take a break on the new 2021 RTL. She says butt falls asleep and hurts... What pillion seat pad do you suggest?

Spyder Garage

The stock seat was from hunger and replaced it with an Ultimate. But you know what? One size does not fit all and so wifey and I rode to Albany, OR to our favorite saddle customizer, Mr. Ed's Moto, and he tailored it to fit our butts. He moved me back a bit, recontoured my seat and widened the passenger seat 5". Oh, and we had heat installed too. Here's the result....

The sausage being made.
    DSCN2835.jpg

Note the switches for the heat on the sides. Wrinkles are gone, that was the first day.
    20201020_204829.jpg

The blue is new foam, the yellow is the Ultimate's foam.
    DSCN2840.jpg

Call Ryan at 541 979-0225 or the shop at 541 791-5142. Good guys who know what they are doing.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rockdog View Post
    Wife can’t ride more then 25 miles without having to take a break on the new 2021 RTL. She says butt falls asleep and hurts... What pillion seat pad do you suggest?
    My wife agrees with yours. We did the 30 mile on road test demo with a 21 RT last weekend. With as much fun as the wife had, said she would only be able to ride for about an hour at a time with the current seat that is on it.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I bought the butt buffer for the wife, size medium, the large cut into her legs. Go here to check it out, https://buttbuffer.com/product/butt-buffer-web-cushion/

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    I bought the butt buffer for the wife, size medium, the large cut into her legs. Go here to check it out, https://buttbuffer.com/product/butt-buffer-web-cushion/
    So what's your take on this Buttbuffer, is it worth the money, dose it work?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, all butts are not the same, I have a large for my 2020 RTL, wife has the medium, the large cuts into the back of her legs because her legs are short. I ride short distances like 20 miles or so without the buffer, just the plain saddle, longer rides, I use the buffer, it does reduce the 'sweating thing'. I do appreciate it for the long ride as does the wife. Would I buy it again, sure. I also have ceramic beads, they are good for riding in the rain and reducing the 'sweat thing', but for LD rides, not for me. I read that some Iron butt riders swear by the beads, I think it would take a lot of miles to make the bead adjustment. Be advised that the butt buffer does not like rains, if it gets wet, be prepared for some drying time.

Spyder Garage

I recently got a AirHawk seat cover. Before I've started to get a bit uncomfy after 1 hour, but with the AirHawk I've done 3 hour rides and been amazingly comfy. I think it is worth checking out, it is a very cheap option as well compared to changing to a different seat etc

Spyder Garage

I can say that other than for my suspension issues the seat has been the big pain in my butt!! I've done the gel pad on the stock seat, pick up a sec hand comfort seat, and still would like more! I wish there was a place where you could like test drive a seat. If I could put a seat on my bike and take it for a 100 mile trip, I think I would know if it was a good fit for me!! Tried the beads, a friend from work let me try his, it was different for sure, would take some time to get use to that! So these pads just sit on the seat and do not strap down, they say put? Thank you for getting back to me, may give it a try!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

My wife doesn't ride with me a lot, especially on longer rides, but I have an AirHawk seat pad I throw in the trunk for her just in case this same situation comes up. So far she says the Spyder seat is the most comfortable of any motorcycle I have had including my 2005 Wing. But everyone's butt is different. I ride with an AirHawk on the seat because the stock seat starts to make me squirm after a couple of hours in the saddle.
    2021 Spyder RT-L Deep Marsalsa Metalic

Spyder Garage

2 Airhalk for our 2 butts. I move mine to the old, slow, V-Max --- easy to do. Corbin on the Max is just too hard. Adjustable air allowes you to sit in not on.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Greven View Post
    I recently got a AirHawk seat cover. Before I've started to get a bit uncomfy after 1 hour, but with the AirHawk I've done 3 hour rides and been amazingly comfy. I think it is worth checking out, it is a very cheap option as well compared to changing to a different seat etc
    A good lower price alternative. They do work. Important to get the air adjusted right. You sit IN the Airhawlk, and not ON it. Don't inflate it to much.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Had all the custom seats spent all that money. Air hawks are the best!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

So told the wife about the airhawk....going to try them out...thanks everyone for the quick responses

Spyder Garage

I've been using AirHawk and WildAss air seats on all my rides since 2008. I'm a long day rider -typically 7+ hrs saddle time and a long distance tourer 8-9 hrs in the saddle. Air seats make all the difference. I get squirmy after an hour without them.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Like our air hawks so much got them for the pick up as well!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How is the feet/leg position when sitting?

Is it possible readjusted something in that area may help the BUTT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    I've been using AirHawk and WildAss air seats on all my rides since 2008. I'm a long day rider -typically 7+ hrs saddle time and a long distance tourer 8-9 hrs in the saddle. Air seats make all the difference. I get squirmy after an hour without them.
    Do you find any differences between AirHawk and WildAss? Thanks..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Original Airhawk was made of neoprene(?) and lasted 5 yrs b4 it leaked at the stem base - no luck w/repair. 2nd Airhawk is made cheaper - soft vinyl(?) and it did same in 2 yrs - stem base leak.

The WildAss looks like same vinyl but a bit thicker I think. On my 3rd yr with WildAss.
    Longevity aside, both have similar air pockets and let my butt settle in nicely.

I have a sheepskin & beds but for the long haul, always riding on air.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I ordered the comfort seat for my 21 RT and really like it. That said, I will likely use my WildAss cover to raise me up a bit. I feel a little cramped. The Wildass is very well made. I offered to get one for my wife and she declined, she really likes the comfort saddle.
    2021 Spyder RT-L in Deep Marsala Red/Black - BRP Comfort Seat, Adj Handlebar Riser, Running Board Lights, Driver Backrest, Passenger Armrests. Fobo TPMS, Grip Covers, UltraGard Full & Half Cover, Passenger & Driver Drink Holders, Wide-Vu Side Mirrors, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, SpyderExtras Aluminum Belt Tensioner, Show Chrome Accessory Fuse Block, SpyderExtras Adj Highway Pegs, Carbon Fibre Grills, Full Repair and Maintenance Manual, Kapplock Garmin Nuvo XT Lock & Ram Mount Lock, LidLox Handlebar Helmet Lock, Hopnel Dashboard Storage Pouch/Trunk Organizer/Side Cases, Garmin Nuvo XT GPS, Signal Dynamics Heads Up Voltage Monitor, M1 Motorsports F/R Dash Cam, inView Helmet-Mounted Brake and Turn Signal Light, Pedal Commander w/ Silicone Cover & RAM mount, Spyder Extras Driving Light Bar, Denali D3 Driving Lights, SpyderExtras Light Bar, TAC Designs Side Mirror Stabilizer Kit, Carbon Fibre Trim, Hi-Gain Short Antenna, Headlight Skins, Mirror Turn Signal Lights.

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red/Black

Spyder Garage

So, which Airhawk fits the '21 RTL pillion seat best?
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

I think it's about time for somebody to make massage seats for the Spyder, and heated too.

Cheers!
    ‘21 Honda Rebel 1100 DTC Burgundy
    ‘13 Spyder RT-L Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pidjones View Post
    So, which Airhawk fits the '21 RTL pillion seat best?
    “R - Large front and back” are on dads new 2021. He used them on old series and kept them for his new spyder. The new RT are a bit bigger on driver but it fits fine slide forward a bit. Passenger R large perfect. The old series was a touch big the RT fits perfect now.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

I still have and use the original Air Hawk I purchased in 2008 for my Suzuki Boulevard cruiser driver seat. It must be a Large.
    It fit my 2008 Gold Wing trike driver seat fine also.
    It fits my Spyder 2021 RTL driver seat just fine also.
    I also purchased the Large square for the Pillion seat.
    But I must say I haven't had to use it often on the Spyder - I find the seat very comfortable.
    I use almost no air in them - makes them nice and cushy... also have never secured them to the seat in any way - they can't escape as long as you are sitting on them...they don't slide around either.
    I do lock them up when I walk away from the bike in a public place.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Just ordered the R Large cruiser Airhawk for my wife. Hope by running it lightly inflated she will feel more comfortable. She says that she felt she was setting IN the GL1800 seat, but sets ON the Spyder pillion.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

When everyone says just a little air.... Is it a measurable amount. Can you blow these up with you lungs, or need an air pump of some kind?
    2020 RTL
    Utopia backrest