Spyder Garage

Default Headlight Modulator... anyone have one installed in their Spyder?

Hey everyone...

Does anyone have a headlight modulator installed in your Spyder? If so, I am looking for find out the brand name and where you got it and if your running the main headlight or the driving lights (Fog lights). I am concerned if they might upset the Nanny.

I have one installed on my Goldwing from Signal Dynamics and I swear by them. It has saved my life twice that I know of for sure.

Tim
    Current - 2010 Spyder RTS

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
    2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
    ___

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please check out my pics!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you have halogen or LED bulbs? Modulators for halogens are a dime a dozen, but I have only heard of one that claims to work with LEDs. Kisan. They even offer a model specifically for Spyders.

I have a modulator in my Goldwing. I used to have one in my Suzuki. (It now has an LED headlight.) Love(d) them both, but have a difficult time wrapping my head around the concept of modulating the single filament that is both HIGH and LOW beams. Yeah, the raised shutters would give the signal to modulate, but I'm not quite convinced.

Even less convincing is ... how do they modulate an LED? Most LEDs have a driver box (module), and it needs to see a certain voltage. A modulator will drop to about 2 volts, which is WAY below the threshhold for incoming voltage, meaning the LED will turn OFF. The law that allows them says they are not to go below 17% intensity. Maybe via pulse width modulation (PWM)? I would like to try one, but would also like to reserve the right to return it if I don't like the way it works.

I, too, have been saved by the modulator NUMEROUS times, but there was also one situation where it almost ended me.
    Two-lane road out in the country. Oncoming pickup pulled over onto the shoulder, thinking I was an emergency vehicle, and was giving me room. Car behind him could not figure out why he was pulling over, so pulled out to pass, RIGHT INTO MY LANE. A definite eye-opener.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

There was a long thread on this subject not too long ago. It covered every aspect of modulator use. Check it out.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    Do you have halogen or LED bulbs? Modulators for halogens are a dime a dozen, but I have only heard of one that claims to work with LEDs. Kisan. They even offer a model specifically for Spyders.

Steve... you are 100% right. My brake light modulators I use are from Signal Dynamics. My headlight modulator is from Kisan.

I do have the LED headlight one for my Goldwing and you can see it here in action here... https://youtu.be/bN_1Gu1_2Rc The one I used is here https://kisantech.com/150gw.html and I chose the LED headlight option. And yes, the only way to properly dim any LED is to use PWM.

Thanks for the reminder AND thanks for the link to their site and specific Spyder version.

I have just converted all 4 lights to LED (Main headlights and Fog lights) so I will be needing a modulator that works with LED's. It should be easy enough to custom wire something up so that when the high beam is on (which I leave on during daylight) and the high beam "lid" is open, that it would activate the modulator. That would be simple wiring. I don't think the headlight are part of the CANbus system on the Spyder.

Tim

3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
    ___

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    There was a long thread on this subject not too long ago. It covered every aspect of modulator use. Check it out.
    I haven't mastered the search function here yet. I get far to many off topic reply's when I do a search. It makes for good reading but not if you're in a hurry to get specific info. It's a me thing, gota learn how to talk to the search engine.

I will look for that thread though.

Tim

___

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I posted about Kisan's headlight modulator recently. I have had them on all of my two wheelers and, you're right, they DO save your bacon! However, I did not have good luck with the recent models (for LEDs), after installing the first one, when I switched to high beam the shutter immediately came down for low beam. I contacted Kisan and they sent a replacement which I installed, I believe that the second one just shut off the headlights when I switched to high beam (sure glad that I hadn't buttoned everything back up before testing!). I firmly believe in their product, so I will try again in a few months.
    The modulator works on high beam, so if you are riding with your high beam on, the headlights will modulate. The kit comes with a daylight sensor, so if you switch to high beam at night, the headlights will not modulate. I drilled a hole in the tupperware below the headlights to instLL the sensor (currently covered with electrical tape).
    You are correct, the headlight function is not a part of the Canbus system.
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrMagicFingers View Post
    I do have the LED headlight one for my Goldwing and you can see it here in action here... https://youtu.be/bN_1Gu1_2Rc
    What LEDs do you have in your headlight? I have considered upgrading my Wing, but I don't ride it as much as I do my old Suzuki.

Also wondering how that LED modulator would work on my Suzuki. It has a TruckLite headlight that has a built-in power filter. It needs to see over 10 volts before the light even turns on. PWM tends to lower the average voltage that might be seen by modules, unless it happens faster than can be detected by the module (light). I guess I need to contact Kisan to see if they have experience with the TruckLite or what their return policy might be.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    What LEDs do you have in your headlight?

Also wondering how that LED modulator would work on my Suzuki.

The LED's I purchased for my Goldwing were supposedly specific for the GL1500 reflector system. They have a pretty unique system of adjustable reflectors inside the headlight assembly if memory serves me. I purchased them 5 or 6 years ago. Brand name??? Who knows. Companies buy a bunch, claim their for a specific machine, brand it like that and charge twice the price.

Also keep in mind that LED headlights have SOOOOO evolved in the last number of years that it's insane. Any bulb now would be 50 times better. Just make sure that the LED's match up to where the filament would be on an actual bulb. Do a side by side comparison. There are lots of tutorials out there on YouTube. Just use your common sense when judging others opinions and absorbing others knowledge. Just stay away from anything with a fan. Fans don't last.

The bulbs that I put in my wife's Spyder are the Sealight brand. I put these in my Toyota Echo a number of years ago and have been very happy with them. They are bright and works well with the reflector in the Echo. I do a lot of driving in my line of work and all hours of the day and night. So, I decided to try a set in the Spyder and see what I get. I have not tried them out at night yet... bikes is still apart. Here is what I got...

Fog light : https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Headlight : https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As far as a headlight modulator for your Suzuki - I have no idea.

Tim

___