Spyder Garage

Default RT Ltd 2020 - Are Adjustable side wind deflectors useful?

I came off a Wing where having some wind deflectors mattered a bit for
    Rider/pax comfort. Are they useful on the RT 2020-21?

Spyder Garage

Better than nothing. Not as good as Bakers on a GL1800. The lower doesn't seem to do much. I had our 2021 RTL delivered with the BRP adjustables installed. Rode 100 miles in 97 degree up and 100 miles in 85 degree back last night. Didn't have any special heat gear (like soaked microfiber) on for it, just mesh armor with tee shirt and nylon hiking pants under. Was Ok. The upper deflectors definitely helped. The RTL seems to have a bit better wind protection than our '06 GL1800 had.

You might want to investigate Bakers at a show.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

I'm on my fourth Spyder. My first three all had the Baker Air Wings on them. They worked great and I was looking forward to seeing what Baker had in store for the 2020 RT Limited. After Baker introduced them, I wasn't sure I liked the look and how they were mounted. I decided to wait till I saw them in person.

About two months ago, someone posted on here they installed the BRP Adjustable Side Wind Deflectors on their 2020 RT Limited. They liked them and they worked as described so I ordered a set for me. I installed them and took my Spyder for a spin. It was a warm day and I dressed light (T-shirt, shorts and a helmet) so I could feel what they do.

There's a seven mile loop near my neighborhood with no traffic lights or stop signs. I set my cruise at 35 mph. I tried all configurations. Bottom line: There's a noticeable difference when opened and closed. I think they worked great.

Two weeks ago I returned from a 23 day, 7200 mile trip out west. There was a record heatwave during that time and at one point my temperature gauge read 120 degrees. No matter how much air was blowing on me, I was still hot!
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

I just got caught in the rain. What else does it do down here in FL.. I stopped to put on a rain jacket. No time to put the pants on. Closed the BRP vents, off I went. As I rode down the road, I noticed my pants were barely getting wet. Arrived home, rain jacket was very wet. Took off my jeans, barely damp. So, I believe the vents made a difference. I also like them to direct air in while open. Hope that helps you some. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Installed the BRP adjustable air wings last week during the first 3000 mile oil change on my 2021 RTL.
    Rode interstate and back roads to get home = 75mph to 45mph. It was 95* and sunny.
    Had on helmet, gloves, boots, jeans, thin shirt with armored mesh jacket over, 1/2 zipped to keep from flapping.
    Jury is still out but so far I am not impressed with the air flow.
    Maybe I will appreciate the difference more in cold temps.
    The Bakers on my Gold Wing moved a LOT more air but I did not care for the look of the Bakers on the Spyder RTL.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

I put them on the day I brought my 2021 home from the dealer. I had a 2005 Wing with Baker Air Wings many years ago and they are not going to give you that same experience. They are DEFINATELY better than the stock fixed ones. I rode in 97 degree mid-south humidity last weekend with t-shirt, mesh jacket and jeans and was fine when moving fast. They are not as good at slower speeds for sure, like below 45 mph, but again, it is much better than the stock fixed ones. The lower ones seem to just put more air across your legs and don't really push air up onto you. The upper ones will give you more airflow across your lower torso area. You most certainly can tell a difference with them open vs closed.

The other things is they are slightly bigger than the stock deflectors so in cold weather I expect them to provide much more protection, especially the lower ones.
    2021 Spyder RT-L Deep Marsalsa Metalic

Spyder Garage

Thanks, all, for the info. Adding to the ‘get list’