Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default Belt replacement mileage

For those of you with over 65,000 miles on your Spyders at what point did you consider replacing your drive belt? I have 68,000+ on my 2012 RTL original belt and sprocket. If you are still on your original belt what do the teeth look like? How are they sitting in the Sprocket? Is your Sprocket worn,and how did you know?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

At 68K, I would have a spare at the ready. Carry it with you if you are traveling. PS. That will give you extra life on the current belt. Murphy's Law in reverse.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Hi Paul, Your belt is 10 years old. I would be inclined to do a replacement next time it is convenient, like when replacing the rear tire. The belt has served you well. Keep it with you as an emergency replacement..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    For those of you with over 65,000 miles on your Spyders at what point did you consider replacing your drive belt? I have 68,000+ on my 2012 RTL original belt and sprocket. If you are still on your original belt what do the teeth look like? How are they sitting in the Sprocket? Is your Sprocket worn,and how did you know?
    I expect to get 250,000 mi. from my orig. OEM belt...( Unless it gets damaged ).. During riding season it lives in my garage .... in winter it lives in my basement. Only a very small portion of the Belt ever see's the sun, so no ultraviolet is going to effect it ..... good luck .... Mike .....PS someone should ask SpyderAnn how long Her belts have lasted

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mike. I thought I might be a lone ranger. I check the belt routinely for wear and damage, the only time I get down on the garage floor except for replacing rear brake pads and changing coolant. The same technician has changed all my rear tires and on last change, 200 miles ago gave me a full status report on whole drive system and brakes, all fine. I don't intend to begin thinking about it until I approach 150K.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I haven't heard from Joe on how Anne's belts go but I have also never heard of them changing one either. Jim I am probably 2 years away from a rear tire change but I have to agree with Mike,other then atmospheric the sun doesn't really reach the belt. I am very encouraged that others are thinking they can make at least 100,000 mi on a belt as that is also my intention. Thanks for all your replies.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If there are no cracks or large chunks on the belt along with proper tension you should far exceed 100k on the belt.

Spyder Garage

Took me 8 years to put 20,000 miles on my bike. So if the belt is good to 100,000 miles I don’t have to change it til it’s 40 years old.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    Took me 8 years to put 20,000 miles on my bike. So if the belt is good to 100,000 miles I don’t have to change it til it’s 40 years old.

that sounds good to me. It's taken me 6 years to put 60,000 on it, there were 8000 on it when I bought it. That means I'll have to stay alive and ride it at least 6 more years.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

Unless it's in the desert sun all of the time (UV radiation) that belt should last a really long time, like Mike suggested.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

I have a 2008 that only has 20K on it. Bought it 5 years ago an it had 9K on it then. As a desert dweller, we replace tires every three years due rto heat and dry rot potential. I keep the bike 100% covered when not out on it. I have it the belt inspected ebeverytime I have it in for service or the tires replaced. Never a lot of wear on tires, but not risking a blow oy on a mountain pass heading to Flagsatff for a lunch ride. Belt and sprockets look good on my old GS.

Spyder Garage

Other than UV and direct chemical attack, oxzone is hard on rubber and plastic. O-rings stored near a high voltage source where I used to work all disintegrated from the ozone it produced.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

New belt at 14,000 miles. Caught a rock somewhere and found a big hole. I hate when that happens !!!

Tommy J.
    F3L SE5 Black -- F4 windshield w/wings, Reggie LED headlights, driving lights & Cyclops LED, Ultimate seat, Fox shocks, BajaRon swaybar, Lamont highway centerline pegs & 3rd peg, Lamont belt tensioner, K&N air filter, Baker air wings & cup holder, CanAm hitch.
    2019 F3L , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fireplug98 View Post
    New belt at 14,000 miles. Caught a rock somewhere and found a big hole. I hate when that happens !!!

Tommy J.

Next time…. turn.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fireplug98 View Post

Tommy J.
    Been there, done that, twice.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pidjones View Post
    Other than UV and direct chemical attack, oxzone is hard on rubber and plastic. O-rings stored near a high voltage source where I used to work all disintegrated from the ozone it produced.
    Yes, I've heard that. Years ago ribber and plastic items stored in our garages along with freezers and extra refrigerators, disintegrated rapidly. Not so much anymore because they've changed compounds. I guess?

Spyder Garage

Does this go for most spyders, regardless of year or model that they can go that long technically without issues?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by acdcking12 View Post
    Does this go for most spyders, regardless of year or model that they can go that long technically without issues?
    As far as their belts are concerned, then YES, these belts can last/work well for a looonnng time, barring any unforseen physical injuries & or exposure to on road/in use hazards. There are at least a few Spyder drive belts out there that are still going strong at well over 100,000 miles now; others that may or may not have similar milage that've been working fine on any/every Spyder model since they began back around 2008, and the vast majority of them have done it all without any issues.

So just Ryde More, & Worry Less - and especially don't worry too much about the potential life of your Spyder's drive belt!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-02-2021 at 05:09 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!