Spyder Garage

Default 2021 RT LTD dash display mode - setting 'Auto' light sensitivity?

We just upgraded from a 2012 RTS to a 2021 RT LTD and are so happy with the new bike. The only complaint I have is the display... when set to "auto" mode, it starts with the black background and may not change to the white background for an hour or more in bright sunlight. Is there any way to adjust the sensitivity for this? I've taken to setting it to white background as a default and manually setting it to black background at night, but would like for this to work properly in "auto" mode. Ideas?

If this should be in the tech section, please move it.
    2007 V Star Classic - sold
    2012 Spyder RTS SE5 - sold
    2020 Indian 100th Anniversary Scout
    2021 Spyder RT LTD

Spyder Garage

Mine randomly switches, also. Wouldn't be s bad if you could change it while moving, but you have to stop (really, to make the dash so you can see your speed?) I really can't figure out the combination for it to auto-switch, and it seems to do it when I hit a bump.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

I just got my first spyder, a 2021 sea-sky, and have the same situation. It seems to have a mind of it's own and I can not corelate that parameters that trigger. I much prefer the white background, so I will be watching this with interest.

Spyder Garage

If you just want white background, set it there and it won't change. But if you drive at night you'll probably want Dark then.
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Same here - seems the ambient light sensor is too sensitive or the software algorithm doesn’t wait long enough as it sees mild light adjustments - went into the settings and just chose dark. Problem alleviated. If riding on a bright day and you prefer the white screen it’s literally 4 button pushes to set to bright.
    Back amongst the living May 2021
    2022 RT Limited Hyper Silver

Out to Pasture:
    2013 ST Limited , Black Currant
    2022 F3L , Dark Edition
    2021 RTL , Chalk Chrome
    2013 RT Limited , Circuit Yellow Metallic
    2008 GS SM5 , Millenium Yellow
    2020 RT Limited Petrol Dark
    2014 RT Limited Champagne Black
    2012 RT Limited White
    2010 Timeless Black RTS SM5
    2010 Orbital Blue RTS SM5
    2008 GS SM5 PE 1941
    2008 GS SM5 PE2011

Spyder Garage

I figured it out and set it to light as I rarely ride at night. Got the clock set too!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rickster308 View Post
    I figured it out and set it to light as I rarely ride at night. Got the clock set too!
    Care to expand on how/exactly what you did to achieve this?? . You might help others with the same issue.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Some day I maybe rich enough to buy one!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Yeah, I just leave it on white as I ride mostly daytime. It’s a very quick change to switch it over when night falls

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Care to expand on how/exactly what you did to achieve this?? . You might help others with the same issue.
    I think Rickster is simply saying he figured out the best solution for him, Peter. Same solution as me. Set it to Daytime (light/white display)…..and change it manually to night when night riding

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    I think Rickster is simply saying he figured out the best solution for him, Peter. Same solution as me. Set it to Daytime (light/white display)…..and change it manually to night when night riding

Pete
    Understood that Pete, but it seems every couple of weeks or so we get someone asking HOW to set these newer dashes to light/white (or dark/black ) and while we often see the "figured it out & set it to (whichever)...." answer, I don't think we've ever seen a description of HOW they've actually achieved this - so thought if someone who had recently sorted it could give the rest of us their step by step description/how to find the menu option &/or mode button/toggle switch pushes or whatever....

But I will admit that probably should've quoted more of them than only ricksters post, cos I'd really be happy enough for anyone who's resolved this to their own satisfaction to step in with something juuust a little more detailed than "set it to light/white & left it" or "figured it out & left it"

Just sayin'
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default Video instruction for changing display mode

Ok, I pulled out the camera and did a very quick and super-dirty video on changing between Dark and Lite mode on our 2021 RTL. Key ON, engine OFF (engine can be on but bike must be STOPPED). Hope it helps (hope you can see it OK). I tried one up a bit closer but it was already in Lite mode and everything washed out.

https://youtu.be/Aa5PUFwMYrE
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Understood that Pete, but it seems every couple of weeks or so we get someone asking HOW to set these newer dashes to light/white (or dark/black ) and while we often see the "figured it out & set it to (whichever)...." answer, I don't think we've ever seen a description of HOW they've actually achieved this - so thought if someone who had recently sorted it could give the rest of us their step by step description/how to find the menu option &/or mode button/toggle switch pushes or whatever....

But I will admit that probably should've quoted more of them than only ricksters post, cos I'd really be happy enough for anyone who's resolved this to their own satisfaction to step in with something juuust a little more detailed than "set it to light/white & left it" or "figured it out & left it"

Just sayin'
    Ahhhhhh. Gotcha Pete….. I didn’t think the actual setting to one option was an issue. It’s as simple as going to your Settings tab and down through the Display options until you reach Light, Dark or Auto. Same as you would do on nearly any vehicle these days.

I thought the issue was in trying to find a method to get it to display white in daylight and dark at night without the Auto mode constantly switching between them at will.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Glad I saw this thread. I'm a new owner and thought something must be wrong with my new 2021 RT since the display was changing from dark to light and back again seemingly at random. I played with the settings a few minutes and found the right screen and have left it on dark since then. I found the maps with Genius maps looked clearer to me with the dark display but maybe that was just an optical illusion or something. Now that I am using my Iphone for navigation (with Waze, only once so far) I think I might change it to light and see if I find that easier to read in bright sunlight.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Yeah, I find the light setting much easier to read in daylight, Vito……and since I ride mostly in daylight, that’s where I leave it as it is only a quick “pull over” to change the setting manually at dusk. I do wish that BRP had spent the last year working on fixes to this kind of issue rather than just coming out with a couple of new colours though

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

My brand new 2022 RTL worked perfectly with the light sensor from the dealer. As stated started dark but switched to light during the day. But then I installed a camera and had to disconnect the battery. Now it stays dark all the time so I had to switch it to light and not depend on the auto mode. It seems that my dealer figured out the setting to make it work, but once the battery was disconnected, it quit working. I saw in a thread that the sensor is actually in the display and not an external sensor. That makes sense since my shop manual schematic doesn't show any external light sensor. So now it is back to experimenting to get it back to working. Agree with comments that BRP should work on the algo or maybe install an external sensor. Shouldn't have to set the mode each time i want to ride and i certainly don't want to have to stop to switch the display.

Spyder Garage

Hi all, there is a firmware update that fixes the day/night sensor and dramatically improved "auto" for my dash setting
    2021 Spyder RT-L in Deep Marsala Red/Black - BRP Comfort Seat, Adj Handlebar Riser, Running Board Lights, Driver Backrest, Passenger Armrests. Fobo TPMS, Grip Covers, UltraGard Full & Half Cover, Passenger & Driver Drink Holders, Wide-Vu Side Mirrors, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, SpyderExtras Aluminum Belt Tensioner, Show Chrome Accessory Fuse Block, SpyderExtras Adj Highway Pegs, Carbon Fibre Grills, Full Repair and Maintenance Manual, Kapplock Garmin Nuvo XT Lock & Ram Mount Lock, LidLox Handlebar Helmet Lock, Hopnel Dashboard Storage Pouch/Trunk Organizer/Side Cases, Garmin Nuvo XT GPS, Signal Dynamics Heads Up Voltage Monitor, M1 Motorsports F/R Dash Cam, inView Helmet-Mounted Brake and Turn Signal Light, Pedal Commander w/ Silicone Cover & RAM mount, Spyder Extras Driving Light Bar, Denali D3 Driving Lights, SpyderExtras Light Bar, TAC Designs Side Mirror Stabilizer Kit, Carbon Fibre Trim, Hi-Gain Short Antenna, Headlight Skins, Mirror Turn Signal Lights.

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red/Black

Spyder Garage

I had the firmware update done a few months ago and have to say that it helped MAYBE 5%. Still runs in Dark mode even in bright sun and no shade. Then unexplained it will switch to Lite for a while. At least it doesn't go Lite at night and blind me. I often ride to bike night or church in daytime and back home after dark. Wish the Auto really worked.
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pashpe View Post
    Shouldn't have to set the mode each time i want to ride and i certainly don't want to have to stop to switch the display.
    Yes, it should indeed work correctly, pashpe, but it takes all of 20 seconds to pull over around dusk (or dawn), press a couple of buttons and be off again. The same applies when you arrive during the day and leave at night. It really is not the “big issue” some are making it out to be.
    The very workable alternative is to leave it in permanently in night mode, which I do. I find the night setting very easy to read in full daylight, and also easy on the eye with the coloured screen

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.