Spyder Garage

Default 2016 RT Limited Limp Mode codes C0040 and C006C - meaning?

I was traveling on interstate (in construction zone) when display started flashing and Spyder went into LIMP MODE. I either lost power or caliper locked up. I was able to cross 4 lanes of traffic, pulled over and turned engine off. Restarted 5 minutes later - turned key on, orange still appeared in display area but went away when I started it up. It has run fine since (about 600 miles). Can anyone tell me what the following fault codes mean. C0040 and C006C. Called dealer ... 3 wks b4 I can get it in. Messed up my Sturgis plans!!!
    2016 RT Limited, Garmin Zumo 660 GPS, Comfort Seat, Wizard LED Accent Lights; Ultimate Trailer;(had) 2012 Spyder RT, Seal Floorboards, 2006 Kawasaki Voyager XII, 1989 Yamaha 850 Special, Sena SMH10 Dual Headsets, ZOX Modular Helmet; Guardian Angel on my shoulder!

Spyder Garage

Those codes refer to

C0040 - Module VCM - Brake pedal switch failure(BLS); Mechanical defect or wrong mounting of BLS; Brake light circuit open or defective brake light globes. Check BLS fault on ECM; Check Brake light globes; Check BLS

C006C - Module ECM - Comms intermittent/erratic &/or check sum failure. May be triggered by U0122 (ECM) or U220B (ECM) or any VCM DTC Blown fuse. Ext troubleshooting not possible. Check for comms fault.

So it sounds like you had a brake issue - any chance you may have been touching the brake pedal with your foot &/or lightly depressing the pedal? That is a common cause of this type of error (there's quite a few threads on this around here already! ) and it is usually remedied simply by making sure you aren't inadvertently touching the pedal or trail braking for too long - ie, keep your foot clear of the pedal unless you are actually applying the brakes; and don't ever ride with the pedal partially depressed!

Apart from that, since you are no longer in limp mode & the codes are no longer active, the problem that caused those codes is no longer active or present; so unless it re-occurs in the near future, it was very likely just a transient & minor issue due to riding the brakes in that construction zone which made the computers think you had a brake issue or failure when you didn't really, and now that it's no longer there, you should be fine to ride on & go to Sturgis, but do keep off that brake pedal & of course, if you are still concerned get it checked & also if it re-occurs or gets worse!

Over to you!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-29-2021 at 08:02 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Those codes refer to

C0040 - Module VCM - Brake pedal switch failure(BLS); Mechanical defect or wrong mounting of BLS; Brake light circuit open or defective brake light globes. Check BLS fault on ECM; Check Brake light globes; Check BLS

C006C - Module ECM - Comms intermittent/erratic &/or check sum failure. May be triggered by U0122 (ECM) or U220B (ECM) or any VCM DTC Blown fuse. Ext troubleshooting not possible. Check for comms fault.

So it sounds like you had a brake issue - any chance you may have been touching the brake pedal with your foot &/or lightly depressing the pedal? That is a common cause of this type of error (there's quite a few threads on this around here already! ) and it is usually remedied simply by making sure you aren't inadvertently touching the pedal or trail braking for too long - ie, keep your foot clear of the pedal unless you are actually applying the brakes; and don't ever ride with the pedal partially depressed!

Apart from that, since you are no longer in limp mode & the codes are no longer active, the problem that caused those codes is no longer active or present; so unless it re-occurs in the near future, it was very likely just a transient & minor issue due to riding the brakes in that construction zone which made the computers think you had a brake issue or failure when you didn't really, and now that it's no longer there, you should be fine to ride on & go to Sturgis, but do keep off that brake pedal & of course, if you are still concerned get it checked & also if it re-occurs or gets worse!

Over to you!
    Thxx 4 the detailed explanation. I greatly appreciate that. I've had that switch replaced a couple of times and brake system purged 3 or 4 times since owning the bike. I've had it looked at a few times bcuz I wasn't able to set or resume Cruise Control, most recently in May 2021. Since then I have noticed (while setting or resuming Cruise, that I had to move my foot slightly to the edge of the footrest ALTHOUGH my foot or jeans were NOT touching the brake pedal. Additionally, several times I needed to lift the pedal up with my shoe to set/resume Cruise OR at times (it appeared) the calipers/pads were dragging becuz I couldn't speed up after braking. (1 dealership told me that isn't possible although it has happened several times)
    2016 RT Limited, Garmin Zumo 660 GPS, Comfort Seat, Wizard LED Accent Lights; Ultimate Trailer;(had) 2012 Spyder RT, Seal Floorboards, 2006 Kawasaki Voyager XII, 1989 Yamaha 850 Special, Sena SMH10 Dual Headsets, ZOX Modular Helmet; Guardian Angel on my shoulder!

Spyder Garage

It sounds like there's something more wrong down the pedal end, not sure what &/or how, but with all the other stuff added, if moving your foot away & occasionally lifting the pedal seems to help, maybe it's worth trying installing an extra spring on the pedal to help hold it up/make it return properly?!? . There have been others who've ended up doing this, most very successfully resolving their on-going issues, even if not actually working out what the problem really is - but hey, if it stops the Codes & Limp Home Mode, surely it's gotta be worth a shot?!?

The pic below is of one spring that many have used - can't tell you exactly how to fit it on your Spyder, but it needs to help pull the pedal back up in order to make sure the micro-switch is not still being activated/touching when you're off the pedal....

Good Luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!