Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool 2021 Sea-to-Sky Front Rim Curb Rash - any tips/tricks to removing tire?

Good Morning All,
    Finally went the full route of getting rid of my beloved '99 HD Road King (gave it to son to keep it in family) and picked up the 2021 Sea-to-Sky after having a massive heart attack over price shock. On way home from dealers, approx 15 miles, the rear, left compartment hatch decided to flip open in the wind. Naturally I pulled over, closed and locked it only to have it happen again within 3-5 min. I contacted the dealer, brought it back - they worked on it for about an hour. Long story short, it happened again. Had to return the next Monday for them to order a part under warranty. Fast forward a month, still no part - called dealer to find no part ever ordered. Pissed to say the least - $35k bike. Now finally expedited ordered - still waiting over a week; meanwhile keeping door closed with rubber wire secured from bottom to hand rest with notice on dash blocking some of my data. This dealership was chosen because BRP gave it a GOLD Rating. Amazing.

My Question to you all ~ last week some punks on dirt bikes w/o plates ran me into a curb as I was making a left turn. I got curb rash on my rim (2 small places) as a result. Called a local repair shop that I used before to fix and they will do it for $150 plus $15 balancing; only caveat is they want me to bring the rim in (they usually take it off the wheel). I have no problem with that, taken off many tire in my time but am wondering is there something I don't know about the Sea-to-Sky tire that maybe the shop knows? I see there appears to be a black rubber cap covering the actual lug nut, figured I need to pry it loose but wonder if it's glued in place? YouTube has nothing on front tire removal only rear, so any help would be wonderful. Hate to think what BRP dealer would charge. Thanks much. Papa C.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-29-2021 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Removed Prefix - this is a 'How do I do this?' question not a 'How To: DIY' guide. ;-)

Spyder Garage

I assume you are talking about a front wheel. If so there should be three lug nuts holding the wheel on and a 11/16 deep socket will fit. With the tire on the ground break loose the lug nuts. Rise the Spyder up using the center rail under the Spyder until tire is off the ground. Place a jack stand under the a arm close to the back of the tire. Lower jack until the a arm is resting on the stand. Remove the lug nuts and pull wheel off. When reinstalling torque nuts to 80 foot pounds.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear of the mis-adventures with the S2S that you recently purchased.

RE: Dealer ratings, (Platinum, Gold, Silver, Lead etc.) At first (2010 or so) they meant something. Now, most of us surmise that the rating has to do with how many units they sell. Most dealers knowledge about mechanical issues, good mechanics, quality customer service, and after the sale service seem to have fallen by the wayside. Your best information about good/bad dealers can be gleaned by reading here, or asking specific question about dealer X, Y, or Z.

Scary how a $35K machine purchase means diddly to a lot of dealers. Take the money and run seems to be the motto with quite a few these days. What happened to keeping a promise and order a part timely. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, think I will back off now. I feel a rant coming on.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Sorry to hear of the mis-adventures with the S2S that you recently purchased.

RE: Dealer ratings, (Platinum, Gold, Silver, Lead etc.) At first (2010 or so) they meant something. Now, most of us surmise that the rating has to do with how many units they sell. Most dealers knowledge about mechanical issues, good mechanics, quality customer service, and after the sale service seem to have fallen by the wayside. Your best information about good/bad dealers can be gleaned by reading here, or asking specific question about dealer X, Y, or Z.

Scary how a $35K machine purchase means diddly to a lot of dealers. Take the money and run seems to be the motto with quite a few these days. What happened to keeping a promise and order a part timely. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, think I will back off now. I feel a rant coming on.
    X's 5 ..... I wonder why they are replacing parts ???? .... the LATCHES are adjustable , I just did mine on my 14 RT ..... someone must have posted a video on this .... I hope you didn't BEND the Rim !!!! good luck .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yep three nuts wheel is off. pop the center cap off with a light tap from the handle of a screw driver or wood handle.

Not sure of the rubber nut cap you mention???