Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Red face Newbie questions! Trailer home tips, or fly/ride? Other Must knows?

Hi All-

Soon to be a new Spyder RT owner- up until now have been a Harley girl, but age and knee replacements say I need to find something easier to ride-

So..... I will be picking my Spyder up in Jax next Thurs- Is there a great way to trailer them-was looking at U-Haul - but the trailers are too narrow and the car hauler only has 2 ramps

I have a motorcycle trailer, however there is only 2 inches of clearance, so that's out-

My other option is fly down from Charleston and ride it back- which would not be a horrible option- depending on weather-

Also any 'must knows' to being a Spyder rider?

Thanks!!!
    2018 RT , White pearl

Spyder Garage

As an experienced 2 wheel rider you should have no major problems other than becoming familiar with the machine.
    Same ritual for 2 wheels.
    If the have a good size lot, practice there for maybe 30 mins and when you feel comfortable ride it home.
    In 2015, I had to "give up" my Harley. Drove the Spyder for @ 15 mins and off I went.
    Typically, from 2 to 3 we have this tendency to want to put our feet down when stopping, but I found the 2 wheels in front told my brain immediately it was NOT a 2 wheeler.
    Just remember although it might feel like and steer like a cager, It's NOT, and use the skills you already learned about driving in traffic.
    The main thing is a Spyder does not "lean" so in Curves you lean into the curve
    Don't think you'll have a problem!

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kahamom View Post
    Hi All-

Soon to be a new Spyder RT owner- up until now have been a Harley girl, but age and knee replacements say I need to find something easier to ride-

So..... I will be picking my Spyder up in Jax next Thurs- Is there a great way to trailer them-was looking at U-Haul - but the trailers are too narrow and the car hauler only has 2 ramps

I have a motorcycle trailer, however there is only 2 inches of clearance, so that's out-

My other option is fly down from Charleston and ride it back- which would not be a horrible option- depending on weather-

Also any 'must knows' to being a Spyder rider?

Thanks!!!
    I would read the " Do's and Do Not's " .... go to the Home page and click on Spyder General Discussion .... lots of good info there .... personally when I went to look at the Spyders I was told by the dealer " just drive it like your car " .... I had no issues and could have drive it 200 mi. .... You don't say WHAT spyder you are getting .... Does it have an Manual transmission or the Semi-Auto .... there are different starting procedures, that MUST be followed .... Help us help you ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    As an experienced 2 wheel rider you should have no major problems other than becoming familiar with the machine.
    Same ritual for 2 wheels.
    If the have a good size lot, practice there for maybe 30 mins and when you feel comfortable ride it home.
    In 2015, I had to "give up" my Harley. Drove the Spyder for @ 15 mins and off I went.
    Typically, from 2 to 3 we have this tendency to want to put our feet down when stopping, but I found the 2 wheels in front told my brain immediately it was NOT a 2 wheeler.
    Just remember although it might feel like and steer like a cager, It's NOT, and use the skills you already learned about driving in traffic.
    The main thing is a Spyder does not "lean" so in Curves you lean into the curve
    Don't think you'll have a problem!

AJ
    WRONG .... if you counter steer like on a TWO WHEELER ... the Spyder will go in a DITCH .... Spyders drive just like CARS .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Sorry, can’t help you with trailering as I have never had to do it, Kahamom. But many have, and I’m sure they will be along shortly with tips.

Good tips from AJ above if you decide to ride it home. Coming from 2 wheels, you will instinctively try counter steering the first few times you slow turn, but you’ll soon get over that. I found myself turning INTO traffic the first time I rode one, and it took me a minute to work out why. Also, a loose grip is critical until you get used to it, or you will find yourself constantly fighting it by over correcting.
    Congratulations and welcome…..What year RT are you getting?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I am getting the Spyder RT , its a 2018 - so excited, and yes it is a manual as I prefer a manual.........
    2018 RT , White pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    WRONG .... if you counter steer like on a TWO WHEELER ... the Spyder will go in a DITCH .... Spyders drive just like CARS .... Mike

…..not sure which sentence you are referring to as “wrong”, Mike. If it is AJ’s first one, I read that he is simply saying that Kahamom knows what “motorcycling” is about, not suggesting counter steering

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Another vote for fly and drive. A parking lot test to get the feel of the rig will help you get on your way.

Read the Do's and Dont's as suggested above. Don't overcontrol. Take it easy the first 50 miles or so. You should be good to go.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

+1 fly & drive, but stay there a day or two and get to know your Spyder's idiosyncrasies. Read the manual the first night to familiarize yourself with the controls and riding techniques. Hopefully, there is someone at the dealership who will mentor you - there is a learning curve. After 67 years on two wheels, my body and brain were wired for all the sensations a two wheels gives. I found I had to be completely rewired. The toughest thing to overcome were off camber left hand curves because the bike leans to the right while you are trying to turn left. Aaargh!
    I can not stress enough how important it is to have loose hands and arms on the bars. Tighten and the bike gets twitchy.
    Check the air before taking delivery. There is a sticker on the left under the frunk lid. Proper pressure is important. I say that because the shop had put 40 psi in my tires prior to delivery.
    Lastly, maybe there's a forum member in Jax who can be of aid.
    P.S. You might want to reconsider getting a manual for many reasons - mainly you will have a difficult time selling it as most want the electric shift. I was thinking of getting a manual, but after taking a long test ride on an electric shift, I was sold - no hand cramps and I can shift up or down at will. It is not an automatic, but it will downshift by itself as you come to a stop. You have to do the upshifting.
    Spyders are a hoot to ride. Have fun!
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I totally agree with RICZ, including about the manual trans, a worthless, used to be farkle. If you have a good, accurate tire pressure gauge, particularly one with a 90 degree chuck for the rear wheel valve stem, throw that in your flying bag and your Spyder can become its new permanent home. Good luck!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I am getting the Spyder RT , its a 2018 - so excited, and yes it is a manual as I prefer a manual.........

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-Spyder-owners Take your time to get familiar & comfortable by all means ENJOY. If you have any atv four wheeler experience will help a little. Also can run the vin number
    By dealer or here:

https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/en...okup-list.html

check if any recall or other matters need to be addressed or have been.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Fly & ride home avoiding the interstates. Should be some nice, quieter conditions to get familiar at lower speeds.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I went from a BMW Sport to my 'new to me' 2017 Spyder RT Limited. Drove it home from the dealer. Two things I had to learn quickly. Don't try to counter steer and don't hold the grips tightly. Again, stay off the interstates and enjoy the trip.

Spyder Garage

That’s what I thought! Have already mapped out a route up the coast !
    2018 RT , White pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    …..not sure which sentence you are referring to as “wrong”, Mike. If it is AJ’s first one, I read that he is simply saying that Kahamom knows what “motorcycling” is about, not suggesting counter steering

Pete
    Yes His first sentence ...... AJ was referring to the ability to ride a TWO WHEELER, after my 55 + years of riding Two Wheelers if you try to turn by steering into the turn like a CAR .... you will crash - Period ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

That’s what I thought! Have already mapped out a route up the coast !
    Yes - US17. Be aware that as roads undulate side-to-side it can cause the Spyder to tend to follow it, but the tighter you grip the bars the worse it gets. Let the bike twist around under you. On 2 wheelers we unconsciously brace ourselves with the bars. You'll have to unlearn that. I don't know about your model, but I found the '21 RTL has better wind protection, is quieter, and more stable on interstates (but I still avoid them) than my '06 GL1800. Also, mileage is not as good and BRP calls for Premium gas.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

If you are buying it from a dealer, have them service it, and ride it like you stole it, after you get a couple hundred miles under you!!!! Welcome to the family!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Hi Kahamom, welcome! As others have said - take it slow at first. When I got mine, someone told me I would not like it for 500 miles. they were pretty much dead on for me. Muscle memory from my BMW didn't help much. All the controls and switches were different, there wasn't a clutch and no front brake lever. You will be able to ride it just fine, but it will take some time to have it be your new normal. Go slow, grow into it and enjoy the ride!
    2021 Spyder RT-L in Deep Marsala Red/Black - BRP Comfort Seat, Adj Handlebar Riser, Running Board Lights, Driver Backrest, Passenger Armrests. Fobo TPMS, Grip Covers, UltraGard Full & Half Cover, Passenger & Driver Drink Holders, Wide-Vu Side Mirrors, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, SpyderExtras Aluminum Belt Tensioner, Show Chrome Accessory Fuse Block, SpyderExtras Adj Highway Pegs, Carbon Fibre Grills, Full Repair and Maintenance Manual, Kapplock Garmin Nuvo XT Lock & Ram Mount Lock, LidLox Handlebar Helmet Lock, Hopnel Dashboard Storage Pouch/Trunk Organizer/Side Cases, Garmin Nuvo XT GPS, Signal Dynamics Heads Up Voltage Monitor, M1 Motorsports F/R Dash Cam, inView Helmet-Mounted Brake and Turn Signal Light, Pedal Commander w/ Silicone Cover & RAM mount, Spyder Extras Driving Light Bar, Denali D3 Driving Lights, SpyderExtras Light Bar, TAC Designs Side Mirror Stabilizer Kit, Carbon Fibre Trim, Hi-Gain Short Antenna, Headlight Skins, Mirror Turn Signal Lights.

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red/Black

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post

Pete
    I just watched a video on handle bar steering and counter steering. It still confuses me, or maybe I just am looking at it wrong. I just know that I push on the grip that is on the opposite direction in which I want to go, and slightly pull back on the grip in the direction in which I am turning. If that is not correct, sorry, but it has been working for me for the past 15 years. And I use this method for the 2 wheeler and for my spyder.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

When I bought my 18RTL I had never so much as sat on one... many years driving 2 wheels. Flew to pick it up and rode it 1500km home over 2 days. First hundred or so felt quite intense but but the time I got home I was comfortable. Take your time and it will come to you!!

You can't get there from here....

Mods and Tweaks:
    Showcrome Trunk Rack
    Showcrome LED Trunk Light
    Garmin 390LM
    Spyderzone Floating Hiway Boards
    Spyderzone Mount Dash Bracket
    BajaRon Antisway Bar
    Showcrome full-size brake pedal
    Spyder-2-Go Driver Cup holder
    Ram X phone mount
    SpyderExtras 12 volt Docking Station
    BRP Driver Backrest
    Monster 4K Action Camera
    Spyderzone LED Fender Mount Spotlights
    CASA LED Headlights and Foglights
    2018 RT Limited , Ashphalt Metallic

Spyder Garage

Fly and ride. 5 hours or so? Piece of cake! I had never been on one when we got the first one. Rode from East Troy, WI to Grand Rapids, Mi. Straight thru Chicago! Other than off camber turns, you will quickly adapt. On those, just lean your body into the turn. Relax, enjoy, and SADDLE UP!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    And I use this method for the 2 wheeler and for my spyder.
    If you are using the same steering technique at any speed above parking lot speed on the 2 wheeler as you do on the Spyder then you are having one helluva hard time riding your 2 wheeler. I don't know how long I rode a 2 wheeler before I was informed about counter steering. After I started using it correctly I realized why I had always had a hard time steering. On the 2 wheeler when you turn right you push on the right handlebar and pull on the left. Exactly the reverse of the Spyder. By doing so you use the gyroscopic effect of the spinning front wheel to cause the front wheel to turn the way you want it to go.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you have the time, a fly and ride is great.

We did not have that much time, so it might have been a drive and ride. Two of us drive there, one drive back, the other ride back. I was not sure I wanted to be the guinea pig for HER bike, so we trailered. Yes, we used a U-Haul. Had to do some research on what they had, though. They have two differene 6 x 12 open trailers. One has a (short) ramp, the other has and even shorter tailgate. The one with the ramp has gussets at the rear that limit width to about 5 feet, which is too narrow for a Spyder. Fortunately, I have a pair of folding aluminum ramps to get the front wheels into the trailer, had to come up with a wooden ramp (with bracing) to handle the rear wheel.

I had some 2 x 4s up front to cradle the front to keep it from going sideways and scratching fenders, there was also a 2 x 4 going across the trailer to act as a bump stop. Ratchet straps from the wheels to the corners of the trailer kept the bike in place.

Yes, it's possible to use a U-Haul, but you have to be creative with your ramps.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Active Member SpyderGoldwingOwner's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Goldwing rider out of Houston TX. Just bought a 2020 Spyder RT for my wife in Tulsa OK & rode 450 miles home to Houston. First time on a trike. No problems

Spyder Garage

Kahamom, Welcome to SpyderLovers. Lots of good advice posted above, especially about reading the "dos and dont's". But nobody has said anything about trailering. I have trailered my Spyder. To fit comfortably you will need, at minimum, a 6X10 foot trailer. A full trailer ramp is necessary for comfort and a 4 foot ramp will not allow you to load given a typical trailer deck height of 18 inches. You will need to have additional angle reducing boards or ramps. Tying the Spyder down correctly is important and there are many threads on this forum that can help you with that.

So, the bottom line is that trailering is probably more hassle than riding. Especially if it is going to be a one time thing. I would read and study all you can, do some parking lot practice, take a deep breath, and hit the road. Good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi