Spyder Garage

Default Quatrac 5 tire pressure

I just put a set of Quatrac 5s on my 2018 RT. I know there are pressure ranges for the front and rear. 16-18 rear and 15-17 psi front. I'm 200 lbs and noticed that if I shake the handle bars the bike feels loose. Increase in speed helps reduce the wobble.

My question is what are the pressures that others have settled on as the best pressure. At times I will add a 150lb passenger.

Thanks
    2018 Spyder RT Limited SE6
    2013 Spyder RTS SE5
    2004 GOLDWING
    2012 Suzuki Burgman
    2001 Honda Silverwing
    1999 Honda Helix
    1976 Goldwing
    1982 Honda Silverwing
    1972 Honda 500 four

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

16-18 all around is good, make sure the two front tires are the same PSI or with in 1/2 PSI of each other.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rvanbeek View Post
    I just put a set of Quatrac 5s on my 2018 RT. I know there are pressure ranges for the front and rear. 16-18 rear and 15-17 psi front. I'm 200 lbs and noticed that if I shake the handle bars the bike feels loose. Increase in speed helps reduce the wobble.

My question is what are the pressures that others have settled on as the best pressure. At times I will add a 150lb passenger.

Thanks
    " If I shake the handlebars the bike feels loose " ....Why are you shaking the handlebars ????? ..... If you shake your cars steering wheel , the same thing will happen - if not then something is wrong with your steering linkage ..... the LOOSE feeling has nothing to do with the PSI you are using..... try NOT shaking the handlebars ..... jmho ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Mike, I really appreciate your advise in all matters that deals with tires on the Can Am. The reason that I was asking was because after putting the tires on the RT it felt different handling it down the road. I didn't know if it was too much side wall roll or something else that I was feeling. Maybe its just something I will have to get used to. Seems to corner well but feels different. I was looking for that pressure that would bring optimum performance without having to drive down a half mile of gravel road to get to where I could test the handling again. Thanks for your insight.
    2018 Spyder RT Limited SE6
    2013 Spyder RTS SE5
    2004 GOLDWING
    2012 Suzuki Burgman
    2001 Honda Silverwing
    1999 Honda Helix
    1976 Goldwing
    1982 Honda Silverwing
    1972 Honda 500 four

Spyder Garage

I would suspect the difference in feel is related to the construction of the tires. In short, the Kenda is a 2 ply tire built to motorcycle specs, not automotive despite using an automotive type bead seal. The car tire is usually 4 ply and built to well, automotive specs with a much stiffer sidewall. Hence one of the reasons for lowering the air pressures.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rvanbeek View Post
    Mike, I really appreciate your advise in all matters that deals with tires on the Can Am. The reason that I was asking was because after putting the tires on the RT it felt different handling it down the road. I didn't know if it was too much side wall roll or something else that I was feeling. Maybe its just something I will have to get used to. Seems to corner well but feels different. I was looking for that pressure that would bring optimum performance without having to drive down a half mile of gravel road to get to where I could test the handling again. Thanks for your insight.
    Try 18-19 psi rear. If you are coming from the Kenda's to the Q-5, as KX5062 said the difference in the construction is noticeable for that reason alone. After you travel about 10 mi. the tires will heat up and the PSI should rise approx. 3 psi. , so that will change the feel a bit also. Equal pressure for the fronts is also going to make a difference .... good luck .... Mike